Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Check out upsherin cake pops!
1  2  Next

Mommeeeeeeee!  

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 1:04 am
I made these to send to an upsherin and thought they came out really cute, so I want to show them off Smile

Kaybee

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 1:22 am
They are adorable!

willow

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 5:00 am
Love LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

sunny90

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 5:22 am
So CUTE!!!!
How do you make them come out so neat? Do you freeze the cake balls before you dip them?

SS6099

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 9:24 am
Impressive!!!!

yksraya

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 9:44 am
so cute!!!
I'm also making an upsherin soon. it's always nice to see what others are making.

Liba

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 9:45 am
Very cute!! I am totally impressed. Smile

a1

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 9:51 am
They are so beautiful!! You must have sat hours and hours to make them look so neat! Good job!!

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 11:02 am
Adorable! The kids will probably go crazy over them!

muss

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 11:04 am
can you post how you made them. they are adorable

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 11:16 am
You are very talented!!!

Would you post instructions?

Happy 2B

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 2:55 pm
So cute!! Love them! Thanks for Sharing!

Mommeeeeeeee!  

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 3:00 pm
In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that I have some prior experience doing cake pops...they come out neater every time. But this is the first time I made them in this particular design Smile .
Not counting baking the cake and cooking the frosting, the whole thing took approximately 3 hours total. But I enjoyed it!
Anyway, I'm glad to share how I did them.
Basic cake pops method: I baked a chocolate cake and made chocolate frosting, you can use any flavor, or a bought cake or frosting. Grind the cake into crumbs in the food processor, then add frosting little by little until it reaches a doughlike consistency...but not too sticky. Roll into balls about 1 to 1 1/2 inch size (can measure with a mini cookie scoop or melon baller for uniformity). Melt some chocolate, dip about 1/2 an inch of the tips of lollipop sticks in it, and insert lollipop sticks deeply into cake balls, but not so deep they come out the other end, of course.
Decorating: First prepare either a piece of styrofoam or a small cardboard box with little holes punched into it so they can dry standing up. Then melt chocolate, white or brown, and put in a narrow deep dish. I do mine in a mug in the microwave.
I melted some white baking chocolate and added a bit of red and a tiny smidge of yellow food coloring to give them a skinlike color. Note that you can't add a lot of food coloring without ruining the texture, so if you want a bold color you need to start with already colored chocolate. You hold the pops by the stick, and dunk them in the chocolate so they are completely covered but not deep enough to cover the stick, then allow the excess to drip off. You can use your free hand to gently tap the wrist of the hand holding the cake pop to help. When the coating starts to thicken, turn the stick gently so the drips smooth out and don't form an "icicle" shape or thickened area as they dry. Mine needed two coats of chocolate to prevent the dark inside from showing through, so if you do a dark cake with a light coating as I did, when the chocolate stops dripping, stand the pop in the prepared foam block to dry completely.
Prepare your decorations. For the eyes, I used little blue candy buttons - or are they called button candies? They're those tiny things you tear off of a strip of paper. I cut mouths out of red Fruit by the Foot with scissors - spray them with a bit of cooking spray first.
When the pops are dry, repeat the dipping process (you will need to re-melt the chocolate) and wait a few seconds - when the coating is no longer drippy, stick the features on firmly and again, let dry standing up.
Then, melt blue chocolate - ok, it's not really chocolate, but whatever. I used the blue EZ Melt discs that come in a plastic container, and added a little bit of dark chocolate to slightly darken the color. A very little goes a long way. Repeat dipping process as before but not dunking all the way in to make the yarmulkas.
When they were dry, I used melted baking chocolate and a super thin piping tip to outline the kippas, draw curly peyos, and add pupils to the eyeballs. I also put the upsherin boy's initial on some of the kippas and the number 3 on others, and on one special one at the top I put his full name in Hebrew - lucky it's short enough that it fit.
Hope that was clear! Happy popping!

Tova

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 4:30 pm
You are very talented, kn"h.

Hashem should bless you to always have simchas to bake for!

LiLIsraeli

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 4:36 pm
My upsherin boy likes them a lot!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 5:37 pm
gorgeous! looks like a lot of work !

buzz

Post Sat, May 19 2012, 6:31 am
They are so cute! I really like them..

shev

Post Sat, May 19 2012, 4:14 pm
adorable!!!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sat, May 19 2012, 11:04 pm
Absolutely adorable!!! what a great idea!!!

hadasa

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 12:07 am
Wow, very impressive. How many did you make?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins