Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Dormant Swiss Bank Accounts
1  2  3  Next

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 1:11 am
Last Thursday, January 13, a new list of about 2700 people who owned accounts in Swiss banks before the war was published. The list can be viewed on the internet (only) at www.crt-ii.org. I encourage everyone to have a look at the list (it doesn't take long) and if you recognize names that might belong to relatives of yours, file a claim for those accounts. Please also tell all your relatives and friends, anyone who might possibly have a relative who had a Swiss account before the Holocaust, to look at the list and spread the word.

The deadline for filing claims is in 6 months only, so you should do this asap and avoid the heartache that will come when people realize too late that they could have filed claims.

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 7:30 am
I have a dreaded feeling conc this. And I don't think it's good even though some of them may mean well!

Last edited by Tefila on Wed, Jan 19 2005, 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 8:22 am
My goodness, that thought never occurred to me. I understand your concern. However, you might want to consider the following:

1) The Swiss banks do not have access to the names of the claimants. The claims are handled by a special tribunal that was set up by the US Federal Court and answers to it. Of course, that might not help if the Nazis were to raid the tribunal's offices and confiscate the computer records, but at least they wouldn't be willingly handed over.

2) If someone is entitled to funds, they could be getting a lot of money. There have been people who have received in excess of $1 million from the Tribunal and if I'm not mistaken, no one who was awarded received less than $10,000. Many of the people who are entitled to accounts are Holocaust survivors living on Social Security or small pensions for whom the money could make a big difference. If you know someone who might have a relative on the list, I think the proper thing to do would be to tell them about it (and about your concerns, if you like) and let them decide what to do.
If there's someone more suspicious about other people than a Holocaust survivor, I'd like to know who that is. I think you can depend on them not to endanger themselves if they don't feel it's worth the risk, which you must admit is not that great - and after all, Freilich, do you think the Nazis won't find you if they come looking for you? Aren't you on any lists at 770?

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 8:25 am
Nobody hits your passport - they hit your face.

This is a creepy topic, I'd rather not talk about it,
but, as somebody pointed out to me,
my neighbours would be the 1st ones to give me out.

Who needs the lists?!?!!

zuncompany

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 8:27 am
thanks... I will pass this onto my aunt... it might be helpful to her!

Sara

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 8:32 am
Ok, ok got your point but still feel uneasy!
My grandparents were killed in the Holocaust and owned a textile industry when rumours flew around of atrocitys being performed in early stages, they sent thier boys on the last boat to freedom England and States. Then the gates to these countrys closed or whatever. Their parents never made it out Crying .
Will money compensate or wipe away the pain or grief, or bring them back! No it will just make the Swiss feel good about themselves coz they rectified the prob, by returning our money..... big deal Can our pain be bought are we sooo low...... is it true money can buy everything?? shock
As Elie Weisel once said the Greatest of our people were killed at ages 3 - 6!
So that money we can live without it's tainted with guilt........ Mad No Thank-You Mad

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 8:41 am
so why let them keep it & benefit from it?

why not take it & give it to zedaka?

you won't benefit finintially, it is yours, & you will put it to good use - the money thay your family had earned through hard work!!!

why not?

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 8:50 am
And give them the satisfaction that we claimed it and they gave it. No way.They don't care how we use it as long as we claimed it and what then they can rub their hands free of any guilt!
We managed without the money till now we will continue to!
Tzedaka and what the money could be used for does not justify 6 million souls, bodys that we lost. Only Moshiach can rectify that!

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 8:54 am
Quote:
And give them the satisfaction that we claimed it and they gave it.

no, they returned grudgingly after years of keeping what is not theirs

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 10:48 am
This money is not restitution or Wiedergutmachung or compensation for any pain or suffering. It's a simple matter of returning money that was basically stolen from these account owners or their heirs by the Swiss banks. I don't understand why anyone would refuse to claim money that's theirs. This has nothing to do with salving the Swiss conscience. First of all, the settlement money that's being paid out has already been given by the banks, so their consciences are as clear as they're going to get. They don't give a hoot whether the money is claimed or not, as that has no impact on their bottom line anyhow. Financially, they're finished with this matter. In fact, the less people turn up to claim money, the more they can tell the world that see, we didn't steal all that many people's money, the whole matter is overblown.

It's easy for you to say that you managed without the money till now. Many people did not manage or are not now in their old age managing, especially survivors with all their emotional and health issues.

Consider also the feeling that these children of korbonos have when they finally receive the money their parents had put away for them.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should tell you that I work for the tribunal that distributes the money and you should have a look at some of the thank you letters we receive....I think you'd have a different attitude to the matter.

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 10:51 am
Quote:
I work for the tribunal that distributes the money

sarahd- how you got that job baffles me...

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 10:55 am
Why? I'm not the head honcho, just a lowly secretary...wait a minute! Do you think I'm incapable of doing the job? I could probably run the tribunal if I had to!!! Twisted Evil

Rivka

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 1:03 pm
Freilich, the Swiss weren't the Nazis. They have nothing to feel guilty about apart from the fact they were dealing with stolen money. So they return it and they rectify the stealing. If it were German banks, then I would agree.
The thing is the Swiss banks are notorious for having black money in their vaults. The nazis weren't the first and won't be the last.

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 1:15 pm
Quote:
Freilich, the Swiss weren't the Nazis. They have nothing to feel guilty about apart from the fact they were dealing with stolen money

I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel

So Switzerland and other Countrys were also guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 1:16 pm
Quote:
I could probably run the tribunal if I had to!!!

you sure can!!!!
(Count my vote) Wink

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 1:19 pm
So Freilich, let them keep the $?

what is your withdrawal going to achieve?
wjat do you want to prove?
And to whom?

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 2:43 pm
Listen, Switzerland (and Sweden and other neutral countries) weren't just neutral, they went beyond the "call of duty" and helped the Nazis more than they had to (for example, it was the idea of the Swiss to have the Nazis put a "J" for Jude in Jewish people's passports so they should know whom to turn back at the border.) Having said that, though, I don't see how refusing to take your own money back from the banks can be considered a protest or anything like that.

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 3:47 pm
Rivka
Quote:
The thing is the Swiss banks are notorious for having black money in their vaults.

People wake up...... then why are they doing this! Why from the goodness of their heart. And frankly I don't care if they benefit from our money it won't be the only thing they have benefitted from, using our skin as soap, and our gold teeth. And who knows how dishonest they had to be to get that money!
Who knows if it was spent already on expenses of war, But was confiscated b/4 us Jews entered the Gas chambers you really believe it has been waiting all these years for us to claim it, where is it really coming from, wake -up?!.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 4:18 pm
Quote:
then why are they doing this! Why from the goodness of their heart.

NO

THEY WERE FORCED TO GIVE IT

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 4:20 pm
im also curious how come it has taken so long, but that might be because I havent read the above posts very carefully..
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics