Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
My Chanuka candles are making my ceiling Black?!

Bzgirl

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:52 pm
Were using olive oil to light the candles, and the ceiling is turning black; Gosh I just painted! Did this happen to anyone out there? Is it the oil? HELP!

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:54 pm
How close are they to the ceiling?

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 9:57 pm
Yechs, I feel your pain. Put a cloth on a broom and get to work. And tomorrow, start over again.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:01 pm
Use purer oil, "extra light" and there will be less smoking.

Bzgirl

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:02 pm
Its a Regular Menorah on a menorah stand, not close at all, and ShakleeMom ARE YOU SERIOUS lol no way!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:20 pm
you may want to trim the wicks.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 1:33 am
Pure olive oil burns clean. Don't use the el cheapo brand because it is much more likely to have something added to it.

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 2:21 am
2 of my sister in laws had this right above their shabbos candles. I really don't know what to do for it but apparently it's common.

HooRYou

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 2:38 am
I had this once with my shabbos licht with which I use olive oil. I must have gotten a bad bottle since it left black marks all above the area in the ceiling until I figured out it was the oil. I tried changing everything else first (different wicks, different cups etc.) Definitley go out and get different oil. You could also try putting a couple of layers of heavy duty tin foil on ceiling to keep the staining to a minimum. I know someone who put a piece of glass onher ceiling above her lichter and she said it works well but not always 100%. That would probably be a big ahssle for 8 days anyway.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 2:40 am
sounds like a fire hazard ...

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 7:13 am
No, but it does mean your olive oil (expensive) was cut with something cheap. Buy a bottle of pure olive oil with an excellent hechsher (price=2 arms and a leg) and it will burn clean

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 9:55 am
HooRYou wrote:
I had this once with my shabbos licht with which I use olive oil. I must have gotten a bad bottle since it left black marks all above the area in the ceiling until I figured out it was the oil. .

Do you mean major black smudges that show up overnight? Because I use pure paraffin candles for shabbos, and the ceiling above where I light gets noticeably grey after a while. Not smudges with well-defined edges, but the whole corner turns grey. the same is true for the ceiling above my stove. It's incredible how much brighter the room looks right after a painting, before the soot has had a chance to build up again.

OldYoung

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 10:59 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
Yechs, I feel your pain. Put a cloth on a broom and get to work. And tomorrow, start over again.

Is there any other way to clean these marks? We actually got some from our lightbulbs in our bathroom! Exploding anger

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 12:42 pm
There's something you can get in janitorial supply places, a 'dry sponge" that absorbs soot and dust. You use it dry on wet=phobic surfaces like painted walls and lampshades.

Bzgirl

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 7:12 pm
zag, is it called dry sponge, or does it have a name?
and I guess I do need to change the oil, thanks everyone, I appreciate your help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics