Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Latke Dinner--What else can I serve?

Mint Chocolate

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 8:27 pm
I'm making a big dinner at a place for students (not frum) tomorrow. What should I bring besides latkes, donuts, applesauce, sourcream?
THNX FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS!!

octopus

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 9:13 pm
you can bring in bagels and some cream cheese.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 9:20 pm
Really anything milchig goes. Chocolate coins, quiche, baked ziti, iced coffe or chocolate milk etc...

supermama2

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 9:22 pm
I like the baked ziti deal.. my kids like scrambled eggs with latkes.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 9:24 pm
I suggested milchigs because it's kids and she is bringing sour cream but in my parents' house we always had latkes as appetizer and side dish (we couldn't resist tasting as they were done before supper started) to a fleishig supper.

ss321

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 7:02 am
Fabulous wrote:
I suggested milchigs because it's kids and she is bringing sour cream but in my parents' house we always had latkes as appetizer and side dish (we couldn't resist tasting as they were done before supper started) to a fleishig supper.

right me too!! I was gonna suggest shnitzel, spagetti and meatballs, those are usually what we had w/ latkes! I cant imagine it as part of a milchige meal....Actually - how about blintzes. I went to a restaurant in Manhattan once that served latkes and applesauce with blintzes. I think that went really well together. And you can just buy the frozen ones and defrost they are always delicious.

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 8:49 am
Mac n cheese!
A sweet apple kugel.
Lokshen kugel.
Maybe yerushalmi kugel (but more sweet than hearty).

Things that fill up well... Wink

tovarena

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 8:59 am
I'm making eggplant parmesan - less carbs than a ziti or mac dish since the potatoes have enough on their own (though kids won't likely care).

mamacita

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 9:03 am
We also have latkes with fleishigs, the idea of putting sour cream on them is so weird to think of! Smile I think we've had a poll on that before though.

Salad is always nice, or at least cut up veggies. Soup also works.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 9:19 am
I made one year for our chanuka party tomato basil soup. (I think the recipe is in kbd) its easy to make and you can serve it in paper cups.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 9:40 am
greek salad
dairy quiche

mamacita

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 9:51 am
Ooo, Raisin, that does seem like it would fit with latkes. if you aren't making so many latkes, cheese sandwiches go well with tomato soup. yum!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics