Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Yapchik/pot Kugel cholent

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:32 pm
I'd like to make something like this for Shabbos day. I've read so many threads on this and maybe it's just me, but I feel like the more I read the more confused I get.
I'd like to make my usual potato Kugel recipe, pour half in the cholent pot, put in the meat and then the other half of the potato Kugel. Then cook it on low Friday night/Shabbos morning. Would this work? How much water should I use?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:34 pm
Put half of your batter on the bottom of your crockpot, then a layer of sliced potatoes, topped with sauteed onion, topped with meat.
The rest of your potato kugel batter on top.
And then 1 cup boiling water.
This will give you best cholent like consistency.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Put half of your batter on the bottom of your crockpot, then a layer of sliced potatoes, topped with sauteed onion, topped with meat.

Thank you! Should I put onions in my potato Kugel or leave it out because of the sauteed onions? Should I put in extra salt or any other spices?

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Sounds delicious. What temp should I do it? I know all croc pots work differently just want a general idea.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'd like to make something like this for Shabbos day. I've read so many threads on this and maybe it's just me, but I feel like the more I read the more confused I get.
I'd like to make my usual potato Kugel recipe, pour half in the cholent pot, put in the meat and then the other half of the potato Kugel. Then cook it on low Friday night/Shabbos morning. Would this work? How much water should I use?

Follow your plan exactly! No extra water needed. I do flip it though so top is fried

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:42 pm
Can I do it in the oven and leave it on low temp until Shabbos day?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! Should I put onions in my potato Kugel or leave it out because of the sauteed onions? Should I put in extra salt or any other spices?

You can still put in some onion in your potato kugel batter.
Kugel batter should be well salted and then meat sprinkled with a bit more salt.

amother Dahlia wrote:
Sounds delicious. What temp should I do it? I know all croc pots work differently just want a general idea.

Low.

amother Scarlet wrote:

In the oven that's about 215 Fahrenheit.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:46 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:

Definitely!
Add an open pan if water at bottom of oven and make sure yapchik/kugel covered tightly

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:52 pm
Just a PSA. I made this recipe for last Shabbos. I put it up on Friday morning on low and it was not ready at all for shabbos lunch, was completely inedible! I have a westbend crockpot. So be mindful of your crockpot temp.
(I transferred it to a pan and cooked in my oven on Sunday for supper)

lamplighter

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:55 pm
We love this recipe! My son requested it first days even though it wasn't shabbos lol.

SingALong

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:09 pm
So when you are pouring in your potato kugel batter, you’re mixing the shredded potato’s with eggs and oil and stuff like usual? Or just putting shredded potatos?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:11 pm
SingALong wrote:
So when you are pouring in your potato kugel batter, you’re mixing the shredded potato’s with eggs and oil and stuff like usual? Or just putting shredded potatos?

Yes kugel batter with eggs and oil (different than classic yapsuk). Yukon potatoes work very well for this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics