Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
So which books did you love?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:54 am
Fiction, non-fiction
What was it about?

aweinback

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:07 pm
I looooved Wings of Hope, finished the whole book over first days. Incredible story of two amazing parents of a child with severe medical issues. I found it very insightful, full of chizzuk for all types of challenges and it was written beautifully.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:17 pm
The Privileged Poor: How Elite Colleges Are Failing Disadvantaged Students, by Anthony Abraham Jack.

Non-fiction. Really unique and insightful. He explores how the "privileged poor" (lower-income students who attended elite private middle and/or high schools) experience elite universities very differently from the "doubly disadvantaged" (lower-income students who come to an elite university straight from a poorly performing public school system).

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:28 pm
Anti-Judaism: The Western Tradition, by David Nirenberg.

Non-fiction. Title makes it sound like just another book about anti-semitism, but it is much smarter and more interesting than that. The point is not at all to bemoan bad things that non-Jews have done to Jews or said about Jews. Rather, the author examines different roles that the concept of the Jew/Judaism has played for different non-Jewish groups at different times, and how they used their idea of Jews to express themselves, navigate conflicts, and so on, even in situations not involving any actual Jews. I'm probably explaining it badly, but I promise it is awesome.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:39 pm
These are all such interesting write-ups.

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:48 pm
In This Sign by Joanne Greenberg
A novel about a deaf couple's life in the late 1920s.
The Citadel. A novel about a newly qualified Welsh doctor and the challenges he faces in his first post as a physician in a remote mining town.

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:12 pm
Lisa Genova’s novels which are based on her research as a neuroscientist. She’s a fabulous writer.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 6:47 am
Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak, the author of The Book Thief.

A novel about a family whose mom died and father left them. I love his style of writing that really immerses you in the story.

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 1:27 pm
Paula Hawkins, A Slow Burning Fire. Reading it now. It’s a psychological thriller of sorts. She also wrote The Girl on the Train.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room