Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Career for after aliya

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:20 am
What do you think is a better career for a mother with young kids?
I am a language teacher. I can give language lessons at home. I could try and find a teaching job in a school.
Or, I have been thinking of getting into high-tech, which pay better, but can I do it with young kids and at what capacity?
I have a friend who is a mom who said she chose to work for the government and get paid less and have low stress/ low presence job, but then she is earning like a secretary.
So working like that in high1tech would be more or less lucrative than giving language lessons?

Elfrida

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:27 am
What language(s) do you teach? The first thing is to see whether there is a demand for those languages in Israel.

Can you teach English as a foreign language? Almost all schools teach English.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:35 am
IMO if you are socially skilled you can give private English lessons, probably not rake in big bucks, but have a comfortable job that allows you to live your life and spend the kind of time you want to with your family.

If you ate not socially skilled, you might find it difficult to find and keep clients.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:38 am
Regular high tech jobs (9 to 5) are harder to find than people realize. You need to have IDF experience or know someone to get your foot in the door.

Work from home high tech jobs are even harder to find, and you get them when you've had 10+ years experience and are skilled at self-promotion/office politics.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:39 am
PSA: shy/nerdy/socially awkward people should NOT count on a high tech job in Israel unless you come with tons of experience from other countries. A degree means almost nothing.

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:04 am
amother Heather wrote:
Regular high tech jobs (9 to 5) are harder to find than people realize. You need to have IDF experience or know someone to get your foot in the door.

Work from home high tech jobs are even harder to find, and you get them when you've had 10+ years experience and are skilled at self-promotion/office politics.

Totally disagree with this. My dh, his friends and I all have such jobs with no IDF. We came as olim.

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:06 am
amother Heather wrote:
PSA: shy/nerdy/socially awkward people should NOT count on a high tech job in Israel unless you come with tons of experience from other countries. A degree means almost nothing.

I really disagree with this too. This is not my experience at all.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:10 am
amother Heather wrote:

Okay I am not one of those.
I have over 10 yrs of teaching experience including classroom, English and Dutch as a foreign language.
I need child friendly hours, office is fine as long as it’s not all day long.

I assume that teaching jobs will be harder to find due to my limited Hebrew.
I thought it would make sense to get into tech for Israel.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:18 am
I don't think there is a great deal of demand for Dutch here. It's probably a niche market, and you would have to develop a clientele.

You could probably adapt your skulls to teach English as a foreign language, and there are courses to help. You can also do private tutoring or English conversation groups. My sister is head of English teaching in her school, and she also tutors as an extra. She's never tried to build that up into a full time job, but there is a market. It would almost certainly working some evening hours.

A job in a school won't pay so much initially, but as you build up experience you'll get more. And it's a reliable income, including summer and chagim, which you do t get working privately.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:22 am
Elfrida wrote:
I don't think there is a great deal of demand for Dutch here. It's probably a niche market, and you would have to develop a clientele.

You could probably adapt your skulls to teach English as a foreign language, and there are courses to help. You can also do private tutoring or English conversation groups. My sister is head of English teaching in her school, and she also tutors as an extra. She's never tried to build that up into a full time job, but there is a market. It would almost certainly working some evening hours.

A job in a school won't pay so much initially, but as you build up experience you'll get more. And it's a reliable income, including summer and chagim, which you do t get working privately.

To clarify, I have been teaching English as a foreign language for over 10 years.
How is your sister‘s Hebrew?

Elfrida

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:24 am
Twenty years ago, when she made aliyah and got her first job, it wasn't so great. By now it's pretty fluent.

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:39 am
If you are teaching English to kids, you would need to work afternoon hours, which is not so family friendly.

You may want to try teaching adults. It may be easier

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:42 am
amother Feverfew wrote:
I really disagree with this too. This is not my experience at all.

How many years experience did you come with?
I'd be shocked if it's none at all and you got a job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions