Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Bringing your own treats

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:52 pm
Posters always recommend to other posters who are dreading going away for Yom Tov that they should bring their own treats or food, leave it in their room, and eat it there.
Am I the only one who gets really annoyed at that advice.
I don't allow eating in my rooms- the mess, the bugs, the potential for mice. I would be very upset if a guest is stowing cookies or chocolate or chips and eating in the room.
If you come to me and would like specific foods or to eat at specific times, then ask me where you can store your food and where you can eat it.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:55 pm
It is really none of your business what people do in their rooms. It is doubtful that any adult is leaving a huge mess so that mice will come.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:00 pm
I generally take some foods for myself when going away. I have never left a crumb behind. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my things in the kitchen & having to tell others not to take.
I also sometimes need to eat at times when we're not really supposed to eat, and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that in public.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:02 pm
I bring my own food but I'm an adult I don't make a mess and if I do I clean up

C'mon

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:02 pm
I eat over my bag. I bring my own garbage bag and take it with me on the way out.
I don't expect people to be pigs in terms of cleanliness, if they're bringing something that they know they need for themselves.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:10 pm
If you have a welcoming house with a well stocked kitchen and full meals where guests are comfortable taking food and don’t feel watched or judged or limited it’s unlikely that your guests feel the need to hide their own food.
I have one family member that I know would be so insulted that I brought my own food but also refuses to supply what we need so I hide it. Everyone else I either don’t feel the need to bring or if I want something specific I bring enough to share and usually tell the host in advance.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:14 pm
amother Canary wrote:
If you have a welcoming house with a well stocked kitchen and full meals where guests are comfortable taking food and don’t feel watched or judged or limited it’s unlikely that your guests feel the need to hide their own food.
I have one family member that I know would be so insulted that I brought my own food but also refuses to supply what we need so I hide it. Everyone else I either don’t feel the need to bring or if I want something specific I bring enough to share and usually tell the host in advance.

There may be reasons for people to eat in their room, even if the house is well stocked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics