Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
School for 12 year old boy who marches to his own drummer

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:50 am
My nephew is twelve years old, marches to his own drummer. He is impulsive and untrustworthy. He does best when doing something physical or mechanical. He goes to school when he wants to, and it's not often. He shoots off his mouth with no filter. He will tease or hit a younger sibling with no provocatiion. His parents are wonderful and dedicated parents who don't know what to do anymore.
Is there a school that is structured, perhaps half a day learning, the other half vocational training or farming, or...?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:51 am
Does he need OT?

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 1:44 am
In my city no school would take him before he has a full psychologic and educational evaluation. "marching to ones own drummer" is not a diagnosis.
Is he on medication?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:21 pm
I believe those evals have been done. Nothing conclusive

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:23 pm
They need to start with therapy and services. Most schools will help implement a plan but won’t want a kid that is struggling with no plan. What grade is he in?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:12 pm
Very likely ADHD - especially the impulsivity.

The yeshivos have a very hard time with these boys.

It’s a really hard situation to be in. I’d encourage a ton of extracurricular he excels at (woodworking, farming, etc) and do everything you can to build his self esteem.

Try to work with the yeshiva he’s currently in if you can. An amazing rebbe can do wonders. There are very few good options at this age. Where is he located?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries