Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do I have to wait another 24 hours to kasher?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 7:04 am
I cleaned my stove top on tuesday night so I can kasher it today. I realized this morning I did not wipe down the grates. I cleaned them and found 1 or 2 dirty spots. The rest was very clean.
Do I need to now wait another 24 hours to kasher? Meaning, it needs to be 24 hours from after the cleaning or 24 hours of no use regarless is fine?

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 7:05 am
24 hours after the cleaning. Sorry.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 7:06 am
amother Mauve wrote:
24 hours after the cleaning. Sorry.

Oy, that's what I thought. Oh well. Thank you

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 7:10 am
Ask a shaila. I had something similar where I cleaned and waited and then found a dirty spot or two. We called our rav and he said we could still kasher.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 7:12 am
It’s a double chumra that ashkenazim follow. Sefardim don’t have to wait 24 hours. BH you called your rav.

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:18 am
What form of kashering are you doing?
For example, libun gamur doesn’t require waiting or cleaning before being done, though it’s recommended.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:19 am
I am kashering by turning the gas under the grates on the highest flame with a blech over them.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:33 am
I dont have a gas stove so not sure about its intracies, but in general, the "day wait" has to with ben yomo, and my understanding is about using w something hot, and it does not have to do w being "dirty". Just dont wash on hot.

Plus. I doubt you found a noodle stuck to your grate. Its probably burnt on grime. Thats not even chometz. If you werent cooking you wouldnt care.

Ask a rav please about this specifically and 24 hour wait in general.

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:03 am
I was told 24 hours from when it was last used and hot. I haven't heard of having to wait 24 hours from cleaning. I imagine there's a lot of variation, especially when it comes to pesach and it's worth clarifying with your lor what you need to do. Also a couple of dirty spots doesn't sound like a major issue and requires a further 24 hours wait.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:07 am
The wait is from hot chometz use. Call your Rav to confirm.

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:24 am
May I just mention how much I appreciate the universal message on this thread of AYLOR?

That's the thing to do, and it's nice to see unanimity about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics