Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Can I place an oven on the countertop

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:19 pm
I am getting a regular oven and wanted to know if I can sit it on a countertop instead of putting it in a unit. It comes with a regular plug that goes in the socket.
Anyone done that ever? Besides for making sure it balanced and straight, anyone know if it safe?

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:26 pm
Assuming you mean a countertop oven like this https://www.webstaurantstore.c....._BwE,
Why not?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:42 pm
No I mean a regular oven but it comes with a plug for a socket.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:57 pm
How are you fitting a regular oven onto your counter? How are you planning on opening the door? Are you planning on using the stovetop? If so, how?

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:04 pm
Do you mean a built in wall oven?

There would be several concerns:

1. Heat- they would get extremely hot and someone can easily touch the sides since it will be exposed

2. Stability- they are meant to be built into cabinets, not sit on counters. I don’t know how stable it will be.

3. Use- just because something has a plug does not mean it can be used anywhere. You’d have to make sure the electrical output of the socket matches the needs of the oven. I don’t know if the regular countertop outlets are made to withstand the wattage of an oven. They are usually designed to just handle small countertop appliance

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:12 pm
My SIL does it, but she puts it in her laundry room which is off her kitchen, I assume because of safety concerns with it getting hot.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 5:35 pm
amother Bone wrote:
Do you mean a built in wall oven?

There would be several concerns:

1. Heat- they would get extremely hot and someone can easily touch the sides since it will be exposed

2. Stability- they are meant to be built into cabinets, not sit on counters. I don’t know how stable it will be.

3. Use- just because something has a plug does not mean it can be used anywhere. You’d have to make sure the electrical output of the socket matches the needs of the oven. I don’t know if the regular countertop outlets are made to withstand the wattage of an oven. They are usually designed to just handle small countertop appliance

Thank you for your detailed reply. Yes I mean a built in oven

1. Regarding the heat, I didn't know about it so it's good you are making me aware.

2. Stability I was thinking about but that can easily be sorted with some bricks.

3. The plug is definitely ok, it comes like that and is written in the description of the oven that it can just be plugged into a regular socket.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 6:05 pm
amother OP wrote:

1. Regarding the heat, I didn't know about it so it's good you are making me aware.

2. Stability I was thinking about but that can easily be sorted with some bricks.

3. The plug is definitely ok, it comes like that and is written in the description of the oven that it can just be plugged into a regular socket.

It will probably blow the fuse if anything else is being used at the same time

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 6:18 pm
amother OP wrote:

It might be a regular socket, but still require higher power. You might need to add more amperage to your breaker. Ovens use a lot of power.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 6:26 pm
Sounds scary. There is a reason no one does it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics