Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Baked Gefilte fish

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 11:52 am
I bake fish in some water in the oven. It always comes out watery. I know ppl take it out of the paper and bake it without water. Maybe spices. Anyone have directions for how to do this?

amother
Burntblack

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 11:52 am
The answer is to bake it longer

amother
Burntblack

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 11:56 am
If you want regular gefilte fish (like the type that would be served at a simcha), bake them in the wrapper in a pan. Fill water just a bit (about 1/3 high) add spices and bake 1.5 -2 hours.
My trick is that I add a carrot to the fish. When the carrot slices easily, I know the fish is done.
If you bake the fish too short, it comes out waterlogged.

Another way: You can also remove the wrapper and add spices, maybe spray oil or drizzle olive oil, and bake for about an hour. That is also yummy but it will be a baked gefilte , not the traditional type. I also sometimes put everything spice.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 12:01 pm
[quote="amother OP"]I bake fish in some water in the oven. It always comes out watery. I know ppl take it out of the paper and bake it without water. Maybe spices. Anyone have directions for how to do this?[/quote
Have a great easy recipe that doesn’t involve water.
Let fish defrost for a little bit (you don’t want it mushy but enough that you can unwrap it) Unwrap gefolte fish , spray 9 by 13 with oil. Place fish in tin. Drizzle with olive oil. Spices like salt pepper paprika garlic and onion powder. Then drizzle some more olive oil. Bake covered 60 minutes. Uncover for 30. 350 degrees.

mamaleh

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 12:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
I bake fish in some water in the oven. It always comes out watery. I know ppl take it out of the paper and bake it without water. Maybe spices. Anyone have directions for how to do this?

I have baked it, but it’s been a while and I never used a recipe.

I do it with water in the oven now. The trick is to use very little water. I put onions (sliced and rings separated) and carrot with the seasonings in the pan, put the loaf on top and add water (from my urn) to barely cover the vegetables. The fish is not in the water. Cover tightly & baked at 350F for 1.5+ hours (I set the timer for 1.5 hours but I don’t rush to take it out right away). Open the cover and let it cool then move to a container (without the liquid). Never soggy.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 12:32 pm
For very simple, plain gefilte fish, just not watery.. I bake it, in the wrapper, covered, at 350 for 3 hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics