Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Husband driving ubers or lyft
Previous  1  2  3  Next

justforfun87

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 5:44 pm
Definitely go private!

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:10 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
My brother does Uber. Lately the money hasn’t been so good. Going private is the way to go. Uber takes a huge cut, more than what they said.
This, after using an Uber, and having a really good experience (with the handicap van) the guy gave us his private number in case we want to use him privately. He said they take a too big chunk out of his fare.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:13 pm
I live in Teaneck, where basically everyone has not only a college degree, but also a MS, JD, MBA…..
I know multiple guys who just had no mazel and were out of work and made business for themselves driving to the Airport. Often they come to your house, take your car with your car seats… and drive, bring your car back to your driveway, and take his car home. Then he does it in reverse.
He also drives people in his car if that is preference.
He drives people to the city, can be hired for carpool, doctors appointments, or to get elderly parents or deliver children to the 5 Towns or Monsey for YT.
People trust him. He shows when he says he will, he is reliable, and you can have him drive your children without concern.

Not only is there no busha, but when he gets busy, he will ask a bunch of the guys in shul (with permission of course) if they want to make a few $100 and pick up a trip for him.

I’m my opinion, there is never a busha in supporting your family, and in this service industry, he is truly helping the community.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:15 pm
amother Oak wrote:
I live in Teaneck, where basically everyone has not only a college degree, but also a MS, JD, MBA…..
I know multiple guys who just had no mazel and were out of work and made business for themselves driving to the Airport. Often they come to your house, take your car with your car seats… and drive, bring your car back to your driveway, and take his car home. Then he does it in reverse.
He also drives people in his car if that is preference.
He drives people to the city, can be hired for carpool, doctors appointments, or to get elderly parents or deliver children to the 5 Towns or Monsey for YT.
People trust him. He shows when he says he will, he is reliable, and you can have him drive your children without concern.

Not only is there no busha, but when he gets busy, he will ask a bunch of the guys in shul (with permission of course) if they want to make a few $100 and pick up a trip for him.

I’m my opinion, there is never a busha in supporting your family, and in this service industry, he is truly helping the community.
This, many respectable people do this. They also take packages from one city to the other city and make $20.00 per package. It all adds up.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:37 pm
Duplicate.-computer error

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:42 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
Interesting way that you wrote: "he has $30.00 in his bank account"
Whats with your bank account?
Would you want him to ask you to drive Uber/Lyft to supplement?

he has a separate business account. clients pay him via his business account not our joint account thats what I mean by "his account"
im out of work now for another 2 weeks due to a health issue so I cant work yet. I also wouldnt feel safe driving strangers around. but I emailed my boss about working extra hours so when I return to work ill be working until late and its hard for me to process not seeing my children often

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:44 pm
tysm for the chizuk. I dont know why I am ashamed. I dont want my family members to find out if he does this. I have to get over myself though.

esuss

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:57 pm
Ì know people who did this. Then people start asking him to do private trips for more $ I also know people who networked with their passengers and picked up a better job from driving cabs. Hatzlacha.

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:05 pm
My husband does private driving and at first I was so embarrassed. If someone asked me what he does I would say real estate because I couldn’t bring myself to say driving…

But then one day I decided that I should be so grateful that he is working hard and trying his best in whatever way he can for now- to support our family. I have several relatives that were laid off years ago and never pursued anything else. They would never drive as it’s below their dignity and their families are really suffering. We are also struggling financially but I respect him for working really hard and trying.

It’s all about perspective. The fact that your husband is being responsible and wants to support your family is truly something to respect.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:09 pm
What a gem.
He could be depressed, he could be lying in bed being sad about his finances. He could put the pressure on you, and dilly dally until something more to his liking comes his way.
And instead he’s being an absolute man about this. This is a gavra in the truest sense of the word. When young girls in shidduchim say they’re looking for a gavra they have no clue what it means.
It means someone responsible
Someone mature
Someone who will shoulder the burden of providing for his family no matter what it takes
Someone who puts achrayus before ego
You are blessed

erm

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:12 pm
If he has an suv or minivan, advertise now for those going to the airport before pesach.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:18 pm
My dh did driving for the frum companies. I think the pay is better than with Uber or Lyft and there’s less testing beforehand to get qualified.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:36 pm
amother Lemonlime wrote:
What a gem.
He could be depressed, he could be lying in bed being sad about his finances. He could put the pressure on you, and dilly dally until something more to his liking comes his way.
And instead he’s being an absolute man about this. This is a gavra in the truest sense of the word. When young girls in shidduchim say they’re looking for a gavra they have no clue what it means.
It means someone responsible
Someone mature
Someone who will shoulder the burden of providing for his family no matter what it takes
Someone who puts achrayus before ego
You are blessed

In a similar situation. Just went to tell you your post and beautiful perspective literally made me cry.

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:05 pm
Do not be embarrassed. I get it. But as someone whose father lost jobs and then refused to do anything "beneath" him (which could of just meant a less paying job in his field or less recognition) I really respect a man who is willing to provide for his family no matter what. Plus, I will always hire a frum driver before a non frum one, especially one that will deal with car seats. I think it's a great idea for him to start his own service. You never know where it could lead and maybe he will have a real knack for this! Hatzlacha!!

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:40 pm
My husband drives for a frum car service and also does driving jobs on the side. The frum car service averages about $30/hr give or take and the private jobs average $50/hr. He's in school now so the flexibility is very important to us and the money is very decent. Hatzlacha!

amother
Pansy

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 12:18 am
I dont get what there is to feel embarrassed about. A person who takes any job, no matter what, to put food on the table, is the biggest mentch out there.

And im so glad that in israel, where I live, you have people doing every job under the sun. And nobody is embarrassed at all. From taxi drivers to handy men, to plumbers, to painters, all frum men. And some frum women too.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 1:03 am
Better to be embarrassed in this world then in the world to come.
Feeling busha erases so many avonot like an eraser. Who doesn't want their avonot erased?! I want!

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 1:16 am
My dh does uber but I have to tell you, the pay works if he pulls the full 12 hours. The airports get you more tips , but locals is good too. There is a huge lull during the day where nothing is happening. Because of the circumstances with what is going on in the world I make him wear a cap and hide his Tzitzis. I like the airports better because the passengers go through security.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 1:25 am
I live in Lakewood and recently we had a frum Uber driver. He drove a Tesla! He wasn’t some nebach guy. He was actually very well dressed and put together. He told us that whenever he has to travel, he signs up for Uber jobs since he’s driving anyway. I think most frum people would appreciate having a frum driver.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 4:02 am
lol that is my brother in law
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics