Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Husband driving ubers or lyft
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:59 pm
we are in a rly bad spot financially, dh isnt doing well and isnt bringing much money in. whatever he makes goes straight to his cc debt. he has $30 in his bank account now. I was so frustrated the other night I mentioned to him to maybe look into driving around ubers or lyft. hes thinking of doing it. but I am embarassed if he does it in our neighborhood where people know us. do I just get over my pride?

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:01 pm
Maybe spread the word that he will drive people and people can hire him directly instead of going through uber and lyft. What's Embarrassing? People would probably prefer a frum guy than some unknown driver in many instances.

amother
Mintcream

I don’t know how much it pays and if it’s worth his time and gas to go to a different neighborhood if it bothers you to be local?

amother
Peachpuff

I personally think it's a very nice thing for people to do whatever it takes to support their family. I know many people who were doing this as suplement income.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:02 pm
Why is it different than all the men that I know and see driving car services?
In Monroe and monsey you have all those Hasidic men doing it and there is no bushah at all

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:02 pm
I would be so happy if I booked an Uber and a frum guy showed up.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:03 pm
amother Navy wrote:
In Monroe and monsey you have all those Hasidic men doing it and there is no bushah at all

never seen this before. maybe its more accepted in chassidish communties.. in my neighborhood the men dont do this thats why I am embarrased

esther11

amother Eggplant wrote:
Maybe spread the word that he will drive people and people can hire him directly instead of going through uber and lyft. What's Embarrassing? People would probably prefer a frum guy than some unknown driver in many instances.

I agree with this. In my neighborhood people are often looking for frum drivers to/from there airport, especially with a minivan to take families. Also then you won’t lose any fees to Uber and Lyft.

amother
OP

amother Eggplant wrote:

he could do this too but at least with uber and lyft he can be getting many jobs during the day as oppose to waiting for people to call him directly

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:04 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:

There’s a lot of money to be had doing private trips. Get your name out there. There’s also a group chat between the drivers broadcasting avail trips. Try to get onto that as well.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:04 pm
A few months ago my husband lost his job with no warning. We were in a really bad place financially. He started doing deliveries for instacart. Was it embarrassing ? Yes!!! But he got over his pride and bought home a few dollars. It’s not easy and u feel yuck get paid minimum… but sometimes u gotta do what u gotta do…

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
he could do this too but at least with uber and lyft he can be getting many jobs during the day as oppose to waiting for people to call him directly

He can start out doing both and then transition to private if he has enough jobs. A guy in my neighborhood did this. Where do you live op? Do you think there is a need for a frum driver? Also maybe advertise for next year if he plans on doing this, that he can drive kids to/from school...people are always looking for this.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:13 pm
Also op don't be embarrassed, be proud and thankful your dh is willing to do what he needs to do to support his family! IMHO it's way more impressive than those guys who won't do that and I would never look down on someone who was trying to earn a living.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:18 pm
Interesting way that you wrote: "he has $30.00 in his bank account"
Whats with your bank account?
Would you want him to ask you to drive Uber/Lyft to supplement?

greenteaorange

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:19 pm
Instacart deliveries or something of the sort might be able to make it more private than Uber/ lyft
Or do all of them

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:27 pm
amother Navy wrote:
There’s a lot of money to be had doing private trips. Get your name out there. There’s also a group chat between the drivers broadcasting avail trips. Try to get onto that as well.
So much money! My dd gets services in Lakewood and a frum man drives her and the other kids. If he’s not available other frum men fill in for him. It pays really well. People will pay well for frum, trustworthy drivers.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:27 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
Instacart deliveries or something of the sort might be able to make it more private than Uber/ lyft
Or do all of them
From what I understand instacart is not good money at all.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:37 pm
amother Navy wrote:

I live in Monroe and yes driving car service used to be a huge stigma. Thankfully it has started to fade away. Honestly when I see a frum man driving I feel a lot of respect to him that he’s doing whatever he can, to bring parnassa. I admire it.

hodeez

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:38 pm
We once needed something transported from Monsey to Brooklyn, we got the name of a frum guy who does this and makes $$$$$$$$ . Is that an option?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:41 pm
My brother does Uber. Lately the money hasn’t been so good. Going private is the way to go. Uber takes a huge cut, more than what they said.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics