Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naftali? (Also seeking other boy suggestions!)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:35 am
My husband and I both really like Naftali but I can't help but worry that it's a little too out there in the secular world. I know it'd be fine in Jewish circles, but I don't want it to be a constant struggle when other people hear it, or in the workforce one day, or making doctor's appointments. For context we're MO. My husband pitched going by Nathaniel or something as an English name, but I really don't like the idea of two different names - I want him to love and be proud of his name and not feel like it's too complicated for the "real world." So my question is, if you have/know a Naftali, do you ever run into any issues, or is it straightforward enough for most people?

I'm also very open to other ideas, if anyone wants to throw some stuff out there. This time around I feel very strongly that I want something loudly Jewish / Hebrew or connected to Israel. The baby is also due around Sukkot so something connected to that works too!

Thanks so much! I feel like we've looked at every name out there and nothing is clicking.

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:39 am
I don't see why it would be difficult to pronounce. The spelling is pretty phonetic.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:41 am
IMO it's pronounceable and fine. Maximum, people will pronounce both "a's" with a short A sound (like the A in "and").

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:46 am
If you want a name that is totally 100% secular Anglo normal:

David
Daniel
Jacob
Joseph
Benjamin
Isaac
Simon (Shimon)
Jonathan (Yonatan)
Ezra

Easily pronounced by not normal for non-Jews:

Noam
Ari

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 10:57 am
I have a Naftali and no issues in the secular world. Maybe they don't always pronounce it exactly right, but they don't struggle with it at all. My son doesn't care and not do I....

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 11:06 am
Another vote for Naftali being ok in the secular world.

Some use Tali as a nickname.

Goldengoose

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 11:09 am
I don't have a naftali but I don't see it as a challenging name in any way. so if you both like it go for it.

because you wrote other boy suggestions, I'll mention Dovid/David is so beautiful, ties in with Sukkos and a very accepted name in the secular world.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:20 pm
He can be Nate when he needs something easily pronounced but Naftali shouldn’t be a problem.
I don’t like Tali because to me that’s a common girls name.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:41 pm
I am big proponent of being proud of our unusual names, not embarrassed.
It was in the zchus of not changing our names that we were nig’al from mitzrayim!
And believe me, the Indians, Chinese, Arabs, and Nigerians have super unusual names and wear them proudly!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:41 pm
I am MO and I think Naftali is absolutely fine.

Regarding the doctor… in all likelihood you are not their only Jewish patient. I imagine you live in a frum community and the doctor’s practice sees half the community-that’s probably how you found them and if you are happy enough to stay, you probably recommended them to others. (MD recommendations typically come from the (shul) neighborhood WhatsApp group)

In the secular world, names are so diverse. DD just started a corporate job and was considering going by her legal name instead of her Hebrew name, as we call her and she has been called her entire life, including at a SUNY university. She opted to have her Hebrew name on her Id badge-and her name is not easy (think like Anael). He most direct coworker has name I can barely pronounce. Furthermore, he can always just go by Naf. (My friend’s husband is Hill at work (Hillel obviously).

Pick the name you love. BE”H Mashiach will be here long before your baby needs to find a job.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:51 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
I am big proponent of being proud of our unusual names, not embarrassed.
It was in the zchus of not changing our names that we were nig’al from mitzrayim!
And believe me, the Indians, Chinese, Arabs, and Nigerians have super unusual names and wear them proudly!

This. I have so many coworkers with names I would never be able to guess how to pronounce. And that's just the first names. Kwaku, Kwesi, Elwis, Wei Wei. I could never even try to get the pronunciation right and they have no embarrassment.

essie14

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 1:49 pm
Naftali isn't really that hard to pronounce. Even if he will encounter people who never heard of it, it's not that difficult. he can be Naf.
I worked with an Asian woman named Huiewen. (pronounced whey-WIN)
We all got used to it.

greenavocados

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:42 pm
You can spell it naphtali, which is what my phone autocorrected naftali.

salt

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 1:40 am
Could be that since Naftali Bennett was prime minister in Israel, this name became more known?

I agree that you should spell in Naphtali - looks much more authentic and biblical.

Rappel

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 1:46 am
It's a biblical name. No worries

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:02 am
My son is naftali. Never had an issue with pronunciation and we've been to plenty of non Jewish doctors with him.

I have been told it's a beautiful name.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 9:03 am
Thank you all for the reassurance! Heart

Next hurdle to mentally get over: my other son is another name of a tribe, and my husband's name is Jacob LOL it's all a little on the nose!

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 9:19 am
amother OP wrote:

Next hurdle to mentally get over: my other son is another name of a tribe, and my husband's name is Jacob LOL it's all a little on the nose!

Don’t worry. You only have ten more to go. Very Happy

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:48 am
amother OP wrote:

That doesn't matter. You'll get a few comments when you first name him and zehu.
The tribe names are such typical Jewish names, people might mot even notice.

My little boy is called Elazar and he already says at the age of 9 that he wants to name his son Pinchas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names