Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
How do we word this?

DVOM

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:02 am
We're throwing a casual, drop-in sort of party for our son's bar mitzvah. The bar mitzvah boy's dream was to go to Israel for his bar mitzvah, so that's what we're doing, but we have family and friends we wanted to include in the simcha, so we're making a party here too. I'm working on the evite, and I'm struggling with how to word it. This will be a low-key, nothing fancy, casual drop-in type party. No suits and ties, no speeches, no waiters, no musician. Just lots of good food and good company! Any smart and savvy mamas out there able to help me word this so that I give an accurate picture to my guests of what they're coming to??

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:15 am
Will the evite be a pdf, or a text email? If it's going to be more of a poster, use funky/casual graphics. Like a kids birthday invitation, just without the trucks and lego vibe.

Sample wording:

We're celebrating BenDVOM's Bar Mitzvah!

We'd love if you can join us on date at location, for an afternoon of camaraderie and joy. Doors open at 12 pm, amd the party lasts all afternoon!

Looking forward to seeing you!

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:19 am
"We'd love if you can drop in for a few moments so we can share our Simcha with you"
Anytime between _:00 and _:00
Light refreshment / Milchik / Parev or whatever you're offering
so it's obvious that they're not supposed to stay for long

DVOM

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:33 am
Thank you do much, these are so helpful!!!

happy7

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:35 am
Open house celebration from 2-4pm
Stop by for Lchaim and refreshments

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:04 pm
I like “drop by” or “stop in” if you want to give people the idea it’s not a long sit down affair. I wouldn’t put “for a few moments” like an ima said above. I think that’s pushing it too far and sounds unwelcoming. People should feel comfortable and know they can stay as long or as short as they want, but you’re not going to ask them to just come for a few minutes.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:05 pm
Please join us for a reception in honor of our dear sons bar mitzvah. A reception is basically a week day kiddush and people know its a come and go event.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:13 pm
We are so excited that we will I”YIH be going to Israel for benDVOM’s bar mitzvah.
We love our dear friends and family and would be remiss to not to celebrate with you.
Please join us on Sunday 3/31 to share on our simcha. Stop by anytime between 1-4 to enjoy a l’chayim and some cake (and don’t worry, there won’t be any speeches).

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:50 pm
I like the "reception" or "open house celebration" wording

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 1:01 pm
We would like to invite our f&f to drop in & join us at a buffet/brunch/dessert bar (idk what you are doing) celebrating Avraham yitzchok Yaakov 's becoming bar mitzvah.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 1:13 pm
Some of these suggestions are locale language based.
I would not understand that a reception means in and out for a peice of cake.
An open house to me sounds more like that.

The concept is a little confusing to me but maybe it's a cultural difference. You're choosing a day for people to come to your house to say Mazal tov to your son but there's no program of any sort? Is it on his bo bayom? Is this something done in your community?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 1:18 pm
If you add at the bottom casual attire, there will be no doubt as to nature of the event.

DVOM

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:20 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Some of these suggestions are locale language based.
I would not understand that a reception means in and out for a peice of cake.
An open house to me sounds more like that.

The concept is a little confusing to me but maybe it's a cultural difference. You're choosing a day for people to come to your house to say Mazal tov to your son but there's no program of any sort? Is it on his bo bayom? Is this something done in your community?

Correct, there's no program. Just food and a chance to socialize. Like a vort. Or a Kiddush. It's not on his bo bayom.

We're doing it in our community, so I guess it will be 'something done'

I also think open house sounds like the right wording. Reception to me sounds more formal.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:24 pm
I think “ stop by any time from x-y time for a l’chaim and bite to eat “ will get the message across.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:28 pm
Reception means stop in, but imo it also means shabbos clothes.

Can you add the word casual in so people know they shouldn't dress up?

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:38 pm
Why not just do a shabbos Kiddush?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics