Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Help me at the public library (raised chasidish)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

wordsmith

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 5:30 pm
Maybe try something by Debbie Macomber.

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 5:43 pm
Just want to point out that “one child” is extremely not clean.
The language is awful and the content is VERY graphic.

momomany

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 5:53 pm
jodi picoult, Jeffrey archer, John Grisham.
Henry Denker- oldie, gr8 if u can find

Last edited by momomany on Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total

funkyfrummom

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:44 pm
As a younger person I really enjoyed the Austin family series by Madeline L'Engle. She writes well, even though they are young adult books. You don't have to read them in order (I didn't). There are 5 all together.

Here's a link with descriptions: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.....ries/

They're about family relationships, death/grief, and first love.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:48 pm
OP I can also recommend
Alexander McCall Smith - Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series set in Botswana. Clean and easy reading.

funkyfrummom

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:50 pm
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
short stories by O. Henry

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 9:23 pm
I disagree with some of the recommendations here, OP. I think a lot of them aren’t very clean.

If you want very clean old-fashioned formulaic romances, try Betty Neels.

Georgette Heyer was antisemitic like most English people of her day. I avoid.

I read a lot of memoirs. Most secular fiction is empty. I do better with real people’s stories.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 9:36 pm
Any recommendations for memoirs? I enjoy memoirs too they're just harder to find good ones.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any recommendations for memoirs? I enjoy memoirs too they're just harder to find good ones.

Not a memoir, but historical fiction with a semi-autobiographical major character: Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman. A brilliant book. And, at around 900 pages, it'll keep you busy for a while Smile The author was Jewish, some of the characters are, but most of the characters are not.

Some background/description from a Guardian review:

Grossman was a Soviet Jewish journalist who covered the battle of Stalingrad and the liberation of the Treblinka extermination camp. After the war he wrote this epic novel. Life and Fate is a Soviet War and Peace, in which every aspect of society radiates out from the central characters, Viktor Shtrum and his wife Lyudmila. Shtrum is a physicist and member of the academy of sciences; his wife’s first husband has been arrested during the purges; her son is a lieutenant in the army; Viktor’s mother, in the Nazi-occupied sector, is en route to the gas chamber. Dozens more interlinked people endure the war and its impact on ordinary and important lives, including those of Stalin and Hitler.
When Grossman submitted his manuscript in 1960 he was told it could not be published for 200 years. Two years later he was dead of stomach cancer, his novel confiscated, “arrested” as he said, for he had assaulted Soviet totalitarianism.

Comptroller

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:35 pm
amother Red wrote:
Not a memoir, but historical fiction with a semi-autobiographical major character: Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman. A brilliant book. And, at around 900 pages, it'll keep you busy for a while Smile The author was Jewish, some of the characters are, but most of the characters are not.

Some background/description from a Guardian review:

Grossman was a Soviet Jewish journalist who covered the battle of Stalingrad and the liberation of the Treblinka extermination camp. After the war he wrote this epic novel. Life and Fate is a Soviet War and Peace, in which every aspect of society radiates out from the central characters, Viktor Shtrum and his wife Lyudmila. Shtrum is a physicist and member of the academy of sciences; his wife’s first husband has been arrested during the purges; her son is a lieutenant in the army; Viktor’s mother, in the Nazi-occupied sector, is en route to the gas chamber. Dozens more interlinked people endure the war and its impact on ordinary and important lives, including those of Stalin and Hitler.
When Grossman submitted his manuscript in 1960 he was told it could not be published for 200 years. Two years later he was dead of stomach cancer, his novel confiscated, “arrested” as he said, for he had assaulted Soviet totalitarianism.

I totally agree with this recommendation, but would say: start with the first volume, which is called "Stalingrad", also by Vassily Grossmann.

Because "Life and Fate" is the second volume, and there are many things you don't understand if you have not read the first part.

GLUE

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:49 pm
Some memoir that you might be interested in;
A year without "made in China" : one family's true life adventure in the global economy\Sara Bongiorni

Some other non-fiction you maybe might like;
The Address Book: What Street Addresses Reveal About Identity, Race, Wealth, and Power- Deirdre Mask
Names of New York: Discovering the City's Past, Present, and Future Through Its Place-Names- Joshua Jelly-Schapiro

sequoia

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:51 pm
Negroland by Margo Jefferson

Hitch-22 by Christopher Hitchens

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:53 pm
amother OP wrote:

Maybe you should speak to someone by Lori Gottlieb is AMAZING. TMI

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:56 pm
Memoirs are the best!

Girl Interrupted
The Glass Castle
I’m Glad My Mom Died

are a few that I like. I don’t remember if they’re clean.

saltandvinegar

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:23 pm
amother OP wrote:

I loved Angela's Ashes

This wasn't a memoir, but a really beautiful book I read in middle school was Stones from the River. I still remember details from it it was so beautifully written. I think I will check it out again and reread it actually!

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:26 pm
Join goodreads for neverending recommendations

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:35 am
cuffs wrote:
Why are people recommending books I read in 3rd grade?
Here are my top 3, they are bestsellers
The glass castle
Educated
Where the crawdads sing

I hated all three of those
And crawdads is very not- something- I’d -want my kid to read

yachnabobba

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:39 am
amother OP wrote:

Weekend at Bellevue
Committed
Off hand two excellent memoirs

garfield

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:46 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
If you like regency romances, Georgette Heyer has a lot of fun, well written books.
I’d go with some classics like Pride & Prejudice, Jane Eyre, To Kill a Mockingbird.

Ah someone got there first Wink I adore Georgette Heyer.

Jane Eyre is good, although a little heavy emotionally in my opinion, as are all the Jane Austen novels.

This is a list someone posted of clean regency novels: https://www.goodreads.com/list.....ovels

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:52 am
saltandvinegar wrote:
I loved Angela's Ashes

This wasn't a memoir, but a really beautiful book I read in middle school was Stones from the River. I still remember details from it it was so beautifully written. I think I will check it out again and reread it actually!

I think Angela's Ashes was very very not clean, or am I mixing it up with a different book?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics