Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Previous  1  2  3

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 10:44 am
Thinking back to when my kids were little.

There was a book about the 7 days of creation that didn't mention G-d once. Realized there's extremely little of Hashem in any of their material which is problematic as a representation of Judaism, but doesn't disqualify most of the books individually. But creation you can't have without a creator.

There was one about I think it was called Leila? Some demon that has to do with childbirth? Really weird so I tossed that.

One with a female rabbi that I was just... Why bother.

A few others that I just felt had no value and I have better things to stuff my kids' heads with.

Then there were neutral books. Good night Israel was nice enough. Joseph and his overcoat was adorable and I'm on board with the general value (make something out of nothing, don't waste). I remember a lovely lift the flap book about, I think, Rosh Hashanah - not deep but age appropriate for toddlers. Similar for chemical Chanukah, at that age do they really need more than menorahs and latkes?

Then there were actual frum books. I recall Red, Blue and Yellow Yarn, and Sara Finds a Mitzvah.

For older kids there are more problematic books but also more great books including more by frum authors. You get to choose which books to get so you can choose the good ones and skip anything iffy. There's a thread here sharing which ones are good, it's not always obvious which are by frum authors.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 11:01 am
I once got a Jewish Holiday Cookbook from PJ Library with a recipe that put BUTTER in CHICKEN SOUP.

It had a little sidebar “to make this recipe kosher, use olive oil instead!” and in a way that makes it even worse because you can’t say it was ignorance or negligence. It was a deliberate choice to put treif in a “Jewish” cookbook, Rabbi Janet. How dare you. In what world was it so necessary to put butter in chicken soup, except to prove that you could, and still call yourself a Rabbi, call this recipe “Jewish”??

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 11:32 am
seeker wrote:
Thinking back to when my kids were little.

There was a book about the 7 days of creation that didn't mention G-d once. Realized there's extremely little of Hashem in any of their material which is problematic as a representation of Judaism, but doesn't disqualify most of the books individually. But creation you can't have without a creator.

There was one about I think it was called Leila? Some demon that has to do with childbirth? Really weird so I tossed that.

One with a female rabbi that I was just... Why bother.

A few others that I just felt had no value and I have better things to stuff my kids' heads with.

Then there were neutral books. Good night Israel was nice enough. Joseph and his overcoat was adorable and I'm on board with the general value (make something out of nothing, don't waste). I remember a lovely lift the flap book about, I think, Rosh Hashanah - not deep but age appropriate for toddlers. Similar for chemical Chanukah, at that age do they really need more than menorahs and latkes?

Then there were actual frum books. I recall Red, Blue and Yellow Yarn, and Sara Finds a Mitzvah.

For older kids there are more problematic books but also more great books including more by frum authors. You get to choose which books to get so you can choose the good ones and skip anything iffy. There's a thread here sharing which ones are good, it's not always obvious which are by frum authors.

Just trying to figure out what you meant by chemical Chanukah

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 11:33 am
Where can I find the thread that everyone says what books are appropriate to keep or not.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 11:41 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Just trying to figure out what you meant by chemical Chanukah

Lol phone autocorrect

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 11:41 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
Where can I find the thread that everyone says what books are appropriate to keep or not.

It's called PJ our way books review

SuperWify

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 11:42 am
The only book I ever threw out was of a woman rabbi

Joseph’s overcoat is so sweet, we read it often
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics