Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Help me at the public library (raised chasidish)
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:49 pm
Having grown up chasidish, we weren't exposed to any secular books. But I'm an avid reader and I eat up books. So when I go to the public library I have no clue where to start. Which authors, genre, etc.....
I need help knowing how to select books that are well written and not full of filth.
Any recommendations for authors (or titles) that write well, and are not too graphic s×xually?
I don't enjoy crime, murders, dark stuff
I do enjoy family books, light romance but no graphic stuff, a little hugs and kisses ok but no full out romance and s×x scenes. I also like regency era books, and historical fiction.
Any ideas?

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:54 pm
Try Victoria Holt, wrote Victorian romance mysteries. Light romance. No zex.

amother
Celeste

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:57 pm
Go in knowing what you are looking for. Learn what authors are clean, and what books will be of interest to you. Its very hard to pick up a book and and figure out if it's going to be clean.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:58 pm
Thank you so much! Much appreciated!

yachnabobba

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:58 pm
I love biography, history and memoirs

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:00 pm
Liane moriarty’s books are great, such fun, interesting reads. I don’t remember them being s-xually graphic but I don’t mind when books are so maybe I’m just not remembering. Can anyone confirm?

I loved most of her books but especially What Alice Forgot, Three Wishes, and Big Little Lies.

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:03 pm
amother Brown wrote:
Liane moriarty’s books are great, such fun, interesting reads. I don’t remember them being s-xually graphic but I don’t mind when books are so maybe I’m just not remembering. Can anyone confirm?

I loved most of her books but especially What Alice Forgot, Three Wishes, and Big Little Lies.

Definitely have some content but not actual sx scenes. Great books though

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:03 pm
Abbu Waxman writes some cute and light fiction very family oriented

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:04 pm
Yay! I'm do excited to walk out of the library with a pile of books!!!!! A

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Having grown up chasidish, we weren't exposed to any secular books. But I'm an avid reader and I eat up books. So when I go to the public library I have no clue where to start. Which authors, genre, etc.....
I need help knowing how to select books that are well written and not full of filth.
Any recommendations for authors (or titles) that write well, and are not too graphic s×xually?
I don't enjoy crime, murders, dark stuff
I do enjoy family books, light romance but no graphic stuff, a little hugs and kisses ok but no full out romance and s×x scenes. I also like regency era books, and historical fiction.
Any ideas?

Mauve Binchy

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:07 pm
I read one book of Judy Blume, I really enjoyed it. I just can't decide if it's clean or not and if I should read her other books. any opinions here?

Aurora

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:44 pm
I would also ask the reference librarians who work there. This kind of question is part of their job.

I like to read a lot of different things, so don't really have recommendations

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I read one book of Judy Blume, I really enjoyed it. I just can't decide if it's clean or not and if I should read her other books. any opinions here?

Aren't most of her books for kids/teens?

Avoid the book Forever. It is quite graphic.

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:45 pm
Go have a chat with the librarian! That’s her job! To help people find books!
Go find the popular author section, and some libraries are separated by genre as well as alphabetical! Enjoy!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:48 pm
amother OP wrote:

Her books are pretty graphic.. There are actually some Jewish authors who are up there with Judy blume- Rachel istrin and etka gittel Schwartz .

sequoia

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:54 pm
I’m reading Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher now — you might enjoy it. Very slow-going, a lot of exposition, but you can really sink into it on a rainy afternoon.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:56 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
Mauve Binchy

Spell it Maeve Binchy annd you’ll find her. Nothing that’ll offend you and some of them are great. Enjoy.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:59 pm
sequoia wrote:
I’m reading Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher now — you might enjoy it. Very slow-going, a lot of exposition, but you can really sink into it on a rainy afternoon.

Two of her books, The Shell Seekers and September were fantastic. I was sad when I finished them and thought about the characters for a long time.

GLUE

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 12:36 am
amother OP wrote:

I think Judy Blume holds the record on have the most books by any author banned from school libraries.
Some of her books she had to take out stuff or her publisher would not print them, because they where afraid it would be banned.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 12:55 am
DrMom wrote:
Aren't most of her books for kids/teens?

Avoid the book Forever. It is quite graphic.

Also stay away from Wifey
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics