Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I want my $40,000 a month paycheck back…
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 10:39 am
$40k is not getting by! Bh we were in a good place then.
I’m sorry you all thought I implied that.
All I said, is that now I want to just get by-at least! And 10-15k is just not cutting it.

The thing is even with $40k I was not living an extravagant life, because it just doesn’t cover a fancy lifestyle.

We paid tax
We gave 20% maaser
We paid for a good life insurance (which btw can’t just be stopped unless you want to lose all you invested)
Mortgage
Utilities
Car
Cleaning help
Tuition
Food
Misc
Clothing
Summer camp (mostly non optional) and bungalow
Yom tov
Simchas
Gym
And just living life…..

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 10:44 am
Not being able to get by on10K-15K, is not a simple lifestyle. I think you need to learn to lower your standards.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:12 am
amother Lightcyan wrote:
Not being able to get by on10K-15K, is not a simple lifestyle. I think you need to learn to lower your standards.

As in?
Did you see my basic current expenses in a previous post?

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:13 am
Op

Wrong place to vent. You will get no sympathy and just jealousy and criticism for having a large income and wanting it back

But on my end I totally understand you. My husband was randomly fired from his very cushy job one day. I totally panicked. We’d get by without him but I was hyperventilating. Bh he got a better job the next month and it was a lot more than he made there. Iyh you’ll get back on your feet and this will just be a blip in your past.

Plonis bas Plonis

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:
$40k is not getting by! Bh we were in a good place then.
I’m sorry you all thought I implied that.
All I said, is that now I want to just get by-at least! And 10-15k is just not cutting it.

The thing is even with $40k I was not living an extravagant life, because it just doesn’t cover a fancy lifestyle.

We paid tax
We gave 20% maaser
We paid for a good life insurance (which btw can’t just be stopped unless you want to lose all you invested)
Mortgage
Utilities
Car
Cleaning help
Tuition
Food
Misc
Clothing
Summer camp (mostly non optional) and bungalow
Yom tov
Simchas
Gym
And just living life…..

I’m just trying to understand…

Your title says “ I want my $40,000 a month paycheck back…”
And in your op, you said
amother OP wrote:

And I’m no fancy lady with no fancy house.
Just a simple chassidish yid who wants to get by! And give tzedakah!

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:20 am
amother Lightcyan wrote:

We're not getting by on 10k+. And you REALLY can't argue that we have high standards. We live in a rented home for under 2k, one car in a two-car town, chicken only on Shabbos, meat only on Yom Tov, Walmart shoes until they are literally falling apart, etc.

OP wants to continue her existing lifestyle, and it doesn't sound extravagant. It's more than her current means, true, but if I tried to take away your air conditioner or car (a luxury for many) you'd also find it very difficult.

miami85

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:21 am
The halachos of tzedaka say that we must give to a person so that they can live the way that they are used to if they have had a significant setback. It can be very distressing losing 30K that one is used to.

I was never blessed to be in this bracket, but I used to be earning more than I spent and I gave lots of tzedaka, then my financial situation changed, and when I get calls it hurts that I can't give what I used to. When people live on a commission or personal business income, the numbers go much quicker because they have to pay the taxes and insurances themselves.

If you bought a car known for being good quality and reliable, and now the financiing is more than you can handle. That is distresing.

safetynet1

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:25 am
Plonis bas Plonis wrote:

She explained in a post later on- She meant to say that she now wants to get by. Beforehand, she lived comfortably.

Now if your mortgage is 5000 a month, Tuition 6k a month, Insurance another 2500, groceries 1500 a month and Gas and electric 500 and then you have teens that need stuff every day- 15k is not getting by.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:39 am
I want you to have your 40k/month too.
I cannot imagine what I'd do with that money beyond throwing it up in the air for people to catch but you do you.
Now to go unpack my $500 grocery order bought mostly with SNAP. 👋

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:41 am
40k a month is 480 a year.
While that is considered a high (or middle class) income, it is far from being a millionaire.
So between paying taxes, health insurance and living with a loose budget (because you aren’t poor), it isn’t extravagant.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:51 am
life insurance - I assume full? That can be problematic because it's only designed for rich people, so it's only worth it if you can sustain it. That will have to be a decision...

Bungalow - is that a really a necessity?

How much do you spend roughly on those?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:52 am
OP, it's so painful to need to lower your standards so drastically. I'm davening for you to earn even more than you did in the good old times.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:54 am
amother Candycane wrote:
life insurance - I assume full? That can be problematic because it's only designed for rich people, so it's only worth it if you can sustain it. That will have to be a decision...

You mean whole life, as opposed to term. It's not "full" and it certainly isn't just for rich folks. Dropping life insurance is not a good financial move, especially if you've aged or developed health issues since you were underwritten. Please consider talking to a proper financial advisor before taking advice from strangers on the internet.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:57 am
amother Smokey wrote:
I want you to have your 40k/month too.
I cannot imagine what I'd do with that money beyond throwing it up in the air for people to catch but you do you.
Now to go unpack my $500 grocery order bought mostly with SNAP. 👋

Or unpack mine which was bought on a credit card because I make a drop too much for snap. And it’s only $100 and not most of what we need. I cant ever in my wildest dreams imagine making 40k a month, but if that’s what OP had then I hope Hashem helps it come back

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:59 am
amother Hibiscus wrote:
You mean whole life, as opposed to term. It's not "full" and it certainly isn't just for rich folks. Dropping life insurance is not a good financial move, especially if you've aged or developed health issues since you were underwritten. Please consider talking to a proper financial advisor before taking advice from strangers on the internet.

Yeah I'm not a financial planner, but I was just pointing out that that is one of those things that need a larger salary to sustain, and if her income is not going up, and the policy lapses, the sooner you figure that out the better.

Good luck, I hope everything resolves itself quickly!

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:06 pm
amother Candycane wrote:

Whole life is also good for people with health issues

Not just for rich people

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:07 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
Or unpack mine which was bought on a credit card because I make a drop too much for snap. And it’s only $100 and not most of what we need. I cant ever in my wildest dreams imagine making 40k a month, but if that’s what OP had then I hope Hashem helps it come back

Well I'm out of SNAP for the next 2.5 weeks now so out comes my credit card.

May Hashem bentch you and everyone who needs with פרנסה בהרחבה.

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:08 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:

I'm not getting by on 15k. Rent, tuition, utilities, insurance, car take up most of it before I even get to swipe a single purchase.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:10 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:

I disagree . We live extremely frugally , and earn that type of income and we struggle terribly , have debt and can’t afford basics .
Family of 7

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:53 pm
Couple ppl asked what makes 40k a month.. anyone care to respond?
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics