Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help me sleep train my 6 month old
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:23 pm
She goes to bed around 630, she wakes up to eat at around 930, 1230, 330, and then 7 is morning . Last night she went to bed 11:45( had a simcha) she woke up 345 to eat , I let her cry and went in to calm her every 10 minutes , she finally fell back asleep at 5:10 , then woke up at 7 for the morning.
So the problem is she barely eats throughout the day . I calculated today she had 13 oz formula altogether . So is this why she’s waking at night ? Although this morning she only had 2 oz so she must’ve not been that hungry when she was crying at night. Can I sleep train her if she’s only eating 13 oz a day??
She’s not good at eating solids, I’ve been trying for a weeks but she gags a lot and only gets in a few bites a day .
Please help a tired mommy Smile
This is my 5th Kh and I never had such a hard time with my others, they all woke up only once by 6 months and stopped that on their own, I never had to sleep train.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
She goes to bed around 630, she wakes up to eat at around 930, 1230, 330, and then 7 is morning . Last night she went to bed 11:45( had a simcha) she woke up 345 to eat , I let her cry and went in to calm her every 10 minutes , she finally fell back asleep at 5:10 , then woke up at 7 for the morning.
So the problem is she barely eats throughout the day . I calculated today she had 13 oz formula altogether . So is this why she’s waking at night ? Although this morning she only had 2 oz so she must’ve not been that hungry when she was crying at night. Can I sleep train her if she’s only eating 13 oz a day??
She’s not good at eating solids, I’ve been trying for a weeks but she gags a lot and only gets in a few bites a day .
Please help a tired mommy Smile
This is my 5th Kh and I never had such a hard time with my others, they all woke up only once by 6 months and stopped that on their own, I never had to sleep train.

I’m wondering if 630 is too early of a bedtime. Maybe try pushing it later like 7/730 and see if it helps.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:27 pm
Why isn’t she eating? 13 Oz a day? She’s starving! Is she. Teething? She needs more formula. At this age she needs 20-24 oz a day. This is the much larger issue

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:43 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
I’m wondering if 630 is too early of a bedtime. Maybe try pushing it later like 7/730 and see if it helps.

No because of carpool she barely gets in a second nap …. It’s hard enough to hold her off until 630

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:45 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
Why isn’t she eating? 13 Oz a day? She’s starving! Is she. Teething? She needs more formula. At this age she needs 20-24 oz a day. This is the much larger issue

I don’t know! She was always a tiny eater . She was eating 2-3 oz at a time until recently . We just got her to drink 4 oz at a time which is amazing for her . Dr is not concerned and neither am I because if you saw her cheeks you wouldn’t be either Smile I’m just concerned that this is why she has to wake up at night …. Maybe if I can get her to eat during the day she wont need to eat at night …. So does that mean I can’t sleep train her as of now ?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:52 pm
13 oz a day is not nearly enough, of course she’s waking to eat at night. Try to increase feedings. My 6 month old is eating about 25-30 oz a day on average.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t know! She was always a tiny eater . She was eating 2-3 oz at a time until recently . We just got her to drink 4 oz at a time which is amazing for her . Dr is not concerned and neither am I because if you saw her cheeks you wouldn’t be either Smile I’m just concerned that this is why she has to wake up at night …. Maybe if I can get her to eat during the day she wont need to eat at night …. So does that mean I can’t sleep train her as of now ?

IMO if she can only take 2-3 Oz at a time at this age the. She’s eating the way a newborn does which is round the clock. She needs the calories. Also make sure the nipple size has advanced beyond level 1

tichellady

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:53 pm
She might need to adjust her schedule to eat less at night and more during the day. But how much is she eating at night?

amother
Black

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:54 pm
For starters she really needs another nap. Why cant your baby nap from 5-6. then put to sleep at 9? My 14 month old takes 2 naps a day! Also solids at 6 months aren't so important. Also between formula and bottles my baby drank tons! More than double that and also doesn't sleep through the night. Yes we can try stretching feeds and I understand she has full cheeks but I'd continue feeding such a small eater every 3 hours round the clock !!

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
No because of carpool she barely gets in a second nap …. It’s hard enough to hold her off until 630

Oy. She can’t nap in the car? She must be super over tired in general. At that age they need atleast 2 nice naps usually.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:59 pm
Yes 13 oz isn’t really enough for a 6 month old to eat all day and it’s probably why she’s still waking up so many times. You can try cluster feeding closer to bedtime so she goes to sleep fuller.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:59 pm
amother Black wrote:
For starters she really needs another nap. Why cant your baby nap from 5-6. then put to sleep at 9? My 14 month old takes 2 naps a day! Also solids at 6 months aren't so important. Also between formula and bottles my baby drank tons! More than double that and also doesn't sleep through the night. Yes we can try stretching feeds and I understand she has full cheeks but I'd continue feeding such a small eater every 3 hours round the clock !!

Agreed with this. 5-6 nap and later bedtime.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:00 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
IMO if she can only take 2-3 Oz at a time at this age the. She’s eating the way a newborn does which is round the clock. She needs the calories. Also make sure the nipple size has advanced beyond level 1

She’s on the fastest nipple

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:00 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
Oy. She can’t nap in the car? She must be super over tired in general. At that age they need atleast 2 nice naps usually.

She takes a second nap but it’s in the car so it’s not the best nap

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:01 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
Agreed with this. 5-6 nap and later bedtime.

If I put her it bed at 5 she most definitely will sleep for the night , meaning she would sleep until 8 then wake for a bottle and want to go back to sleep . I tried it .

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:03 pm
amother Midnight wrote:

Ok so basically you’re saying with the way she’s eating she needs to eat at night and I shouldn’t attempt to sleep train her now . So then anyone have any tips how to get her to eat more ?? If she doesn’t want, she doesn’t want … or is this just the way she is and hopefully when she’s 9 months we can try again.

jd1212

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:04 pm
I have one baby who hated powder formula (spit it up every time) and only took the liquid. It’s a fortune, but it could be she’d like the taste and eat more during the day.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:04 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
Yes 13 oz isn’t really enough for a 6 month old to eat all day and it’s probably why she’s still waking up so many times. You can try cluster feeding closer to bedtime so she goes to sleep fuller.

Usually before bedtime I will get her to eat an extra 2 oz but that’s not enough to make a difference in her night

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:06 pm
jd1212 wrote:
I have one baby who hated powder formula (spit it up every time) and only took the liquid. It’s a fortune, but it could be she’d like the taste and eat more during the day.

I actually never heard of liquid formula , is that like what they have in the hospital?
But she doesn’t spit it up , so I don’t think this is the case …. Also she she’s on Kendamil which is pretty good , I tasted it myself 😂

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
She’s on the fastest nipple

That may be too fast then
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics