Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Can’t fill dc’s cavity - anyone do these other options?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:01 pm
Ds5 has one cavity. Laughing gas didn’t work and he wouldn’t let them even try to fill it. Since it’s just one, the dentist gave me 2 options. Anyone used any of these successfully?

A- SDF application- basically a silver nitrate liquid applied to the sides of the tooth via floss string. It’s quick and needs to be done twice, a few weeks apart. It basically helps prevent the cavity from getting bigger. The con is that without proper brushing and flossing, it might not work well long term enough until the baby tooth falls out.

B- hall crown- a silver crown that completely covers the tooth and prevents any sugar from getting in, so the cavity won’t grow. It’s a longer procedure, that hopefully ds will allow, but once it’s on, it’s stuck hopefully until the baby tooth falls out.

I’m not totally sure I understood the pros and cons of each of these. I’ll have to do more research, but anyone else did it?

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:04 pm
Did sdf and it worked really well just be aware it stains the tooth black

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:34 pm
We did sdf but it was only one application. So far bh worked well. The benefit is it doesn't hurt, is quick, and if it doesn't last forever... so in a few years hopefully child will be mature enough to cooperate.

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 2:06 pm
We've had dentists apply the silver crown to baby teeth but it doesn't really take long. I held down dc along with a dental assistant and the dentist applied the crown.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:26 am
Thank you! Anyone else can share their experiences?

newmommy22

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 10:31 am
We did SDF and worked really well. Every 6 months we reevaluate and hopefully once it needs to be filled he'll be a bit older and more cooperative. I think SDF is really only good for smaller cavities. I think if it's bigger than your only option is the silver crown
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics