Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Options for seminary or job for girl who is too reserved?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 1:51 pm
DD is in 12th grade this year. She does well academically in some classes, and in other classes she doesn't even seem to try. She is capable of learning, but has trouble applying herself for some reason. Socially, she is very quiet and sticks to her 2 close friends.

She has been a counselor in day camps, but she was unable to do the job responsibly. She was fired by one camp and kept on as a chessed by another camp. They said she couldn't be in charge of a whole bunk, and she lost kids. But she did well as a mothers helper. She loves little kids and can take good care of a couple of kids together, just not a whole group.

What programs exist that can train a girl to be a more responsible teacher for little kids? Maybe Shoshanim seminary, but is that for slower girls? Or maybe a job with a mentor? Does that exist?

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:09 pm
Is she specifically interested in working with kids? If yes, a shadow can be a great job and possibly SEIT if she’s able to complete college.

If not, there are lots of other job options. What are her strengths and interests? Do you have any reason to think she won’t function/be responsible in an office setting?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:24 pm
She wants to be a babysitter. That's her goal in life, unfortunately. She loves kids and wants to work with them. She would be happy to be an assistant, but maybe she senses that she would not have all the skills she needs for the job. A shadow job does seem like a good option for her.

But it is interesting to consider an office job. I've never given it much thought, because I would like her to be able to pursue her job of choice. Depending on the job, she might be able to work in an office.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:31 pm
Can she do a half day seminary program and work in a day care center in the afternoon? This way she can be one of several teachers in the room - which means she doesn't have 100% responsibility, and also can learn tips and get 'trained' by others who are there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:41 pm
She did not get into the half day program we applied to.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:56 pm
Idk where you are located but if she is good with kids and perceptive with them maybe a 1:1 in a special ed classroom

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:10 pm
Why "unfortunately"?

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
She wants to be a babysitter. That's her goal in life, unfortunately. She loves kids and wants to work with them. She would be happy to be an assistant, but maybe she senses that she would not have all the skills she needs for the job. A shadow job does seem like a good option for her.

But it is interesting to consider an office job. I've never given it much thought, because I would like her to be able to pursue her job of choice. Depending on the job, she might be able to work in an office.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with her being a babysitter if that is what she is good at and wants to do! There are usually job openings in daycares and once she has some experience and has her own kids, she can take 1-2 additional babies into her home to babysit. It can be a nice way to bring in an income while juggling all of life's responsibilities. I wouldn't discourage her if that is what she wants.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:33 pm
You should look into special Ed preschools where she can be in charge of 1kid they call it a 1 on 1. The teacher is in charge and she watches and works with her one specific kid.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 12:42 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
Why "unfortunately"?

THIS! Very rarely does the negative feeling not be sensed by the daughter

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 12:53 pm
Come on guys, she’s saying it’s unfortunate because her daughter is not responsible enough for childcare. She literally got fired for losing kids. Op wouldn’t mind her daughters desire to babysit if she had the personality for it but she doesn’t appear to.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 6:56 pm
Actually, I am a babysitter myself. I babysit in my house. The reason I said unfortunately is because babysitting at home is lonely and difficult. It's not a dream job to look forward to. It's something I do because I don't want to leave my baby all day.

I am totally okay with her being a teacher or a babysitter in a day care center, but she wants to just be home with a couple of kids. She can take pretty good care of a small group, maybe up to 4 or 5 kids. She just has trouble when there are enough kids that she would have to actually count them to keep track of them.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 7:41 pm
OP, it sounds like she has a very different personality than you do. She might not consider it lonely- for he rit might be ideal, if she can do it.

Do you work over the summer? Could she work with you, and if she shows proficiency, maybe take over for a day or two to see how it goes?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 7:46 pm
Op does your daughter have special needs? Is she on the spectrum?

Growing

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:50 pm
I think you'd be best off discussing this with people who know your daughter irl - teachers principal former employee

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 9:02 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Op does your daughter have special needs? Is she on the spectrum?

I was wondering the same thing based on what's she's written here

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:45 pm
Has she tried ADHD medicine? My kids are super irresponsible when they don’t take it and different people when on it. Yes they were fully evaluated with Neuropsychs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)