Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Hot water ratio

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:24 pm
How much hot water do u use for 4oz bottles?

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:32 pm
It depends on how hot your water is. The goal is for the formula to feel slightly warm but not hot on your wrist.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
How much hot water do u use for 4oz bottles?

1oz hot water, 3oz room temperature.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 6:08 pm
0. We made bottles with room temp water.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 7:26 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
1oz hot water, 3oz room temperature.

Thank you

becky2345

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 7:36 pm
I use half and half-from my not burning hot urn.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 7:49 pm
becky2345 wrote:
I use half and half-from my not burning hot urn.

Same but then ended up buying a baby brezza. Best. Thing. Ever.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:15 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
0. We made bottles with room temp water.

People were telling me to do that, but then I figured that since I'm not nursing my baby, the least I can do is give him warm bottles.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:22 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
People were telling me to do that, but then I figured that since I'm not nursing my baby, the least I can do is give him warm bottles.

I agree. They deserve a warm drink.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:29 pm
Babies who are used to breast milk (from the breast) are used to their feeds being warm. Babies who are bottle fed exclusively are blank slates. I can’t relate to ‘baby deserves warm drink’ at all. It sounds like a form of mom guilt which I didn’t subscribe to. Room temperature bottles mean that you can give them both ready to feed and powder, and that you can easily feed them on the go even if you don’t have access to hot water. Ultimately every mom should do what they choose I’m just sharing my experience. BH my formula fed children are thriving from feeds while being held in their mothers or fathers warm embrace

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:36 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Babies who are used to breast milk (from the breast) are used to their feeds being warm. Babies who are bottle fed exclusively are blank slates. I can’t relate to ‘baby deserves warm drink’ at all. It sounds like a form of mom guilt which I didn’t subscribe to. Room temperature bottles mean that you can give them both ready to feed and powder, and that you can easily feed them on the go even if you don’t have access to hot water. Ultimately every mom should do what they choose I’m just sharing my experience. BH my formula fed children are thriving from feeds while being held in their mothers or fathers warm embrace

This 100%
I always try room temperature bottles with my babies and most take it very happily. One baby didn’t like anything other than warm so of course I used warm bottles for that baby. But unlike my other babies who could be happy and comforted having their bottles no matter where we were that baby was miserable on any outing that we didn’t have access to hot water.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:11 am
amother Khaki wrote:

Hashem created mothers milk to be warm. The least I can do if I'm unable to nurse, is give baby warm milk. Even if room temperature may be easier for me, I do what's better & more soothing for the baby.
I always take a thermos of hot water with me when we go out.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:19 am
amother Lemon wrote:
Even if room temperature may be easier for me, I do what's better & more soothing for the baby.

That's exactly her point. It's not necessarily better or more soothing for all babies.
So if it's coming from a place of guilt, you since have to feel that way. If it makes you happy, go right ahead!

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 3:27 am
amother Khaki wrote:

I've bottle-fed 3 kids when nursing didn't work out - so no 'blank slates' here, they all liked their bottles quite warm - and it's definitely annoying to shlep/search for hot water whilst out and about.
However, I believe Rebbetzin Kanievsky was very pro warm bottles. Can't remember the reasoning, but just an interesting point.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 3:35 am
There is no "must" or one size fits all. No "baby deserves". Baby wants what baby wants, no matter what others or mom guilt says.

My oldest, nursed baby (no formula) preferred his pumped milk (when I rarely had to be out) room temperature on the colder side. He did not like them warm! If my husband gave him a warm bottle he didn't want it.

My most recent (nursed) baby I pump while at work (I work full time now) and he wants it warm. The babysitter takes the cold milk from the fridge and sticks it in a cup of warm water to heat it up.

Don't let mom guilt decide things for you.
Maybe you like your drinks warm. But this isn't a matter of "deserving".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding