Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Would you separate...

miriamnechama

Post Sat, Aug 09 2008, 11:56 pm
twins when they are older ie school?? or keep them together??

what are the benefits, I've heardthat alot of people separate them...

drumjj

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 3:41 am
hiya, as someone who is a twin I wasnt seperated till I was a teenager in school bc the schools I was in there wasnt an option but I think its much better to be seperated esp if ur identical, u get compared a lot less in class and treated more as ur own person and u get to develop ur own personality and not always been in the shadow of ur twin esp if u are shy and they are louder etc.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 1:43 pm
My twins aren't identical, and we have no plans of seperating them before Kitah A at least. I've heard in the school here it is very difficult to keep them together in Kitah A b/c they keep the kids together until 7th grade, so the class they start in they stay in. Pretty much leaving them together means they will be together all through elementary school. I think by kitah A I will be okay separating them though. They have different intsests and different friends even though they are in the same class, so I think they will do okay apart.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 1:57 pm
interesting you said that. ds1 has a boy who is twin in his class... and that boys other twin is in the next class up ie one's in 3rd and the other is in 4th... and there is only one class for each.

another friend sent both her twin boys to 2 different schools.....

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 2:53 pm
I know that my grandmother really always wanted to keep my father and uncle (twins) in separate classes but their elementary school had the classes divided by academic level so she wasn't going to keep one of them behind as they were both always placed in the highest class. Once they hit HS, it was different because they went to a HUGE Public High School so it was easier to keep them separated.

Cdlf

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 8:08 pm
My daughter has 3 girls in her class who are a twin. Her grade has 9 sets of twins and the school wants them separated by first grade.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 8:23 pm
I know a set of triplets in 3 different schools.

avimom

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 8:32 pm
Writing as a twin- I was always separated and very grateful for that. We are very different and we grew up with different interests, friends, etc.. I would NOT recommend putting twins together- would never do it if I had my own... One point, In eleventh grade we were put together for one period a day (just worked out that way) and at that time it was fine, we jsut ignored each other :-) Most teachers, even the ones we both had, didn't know we were related (we had a common last name).

yo'ma

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 8:35 pm
In my sons class (5 yrs old) there is a boy, one of triplets. To me they look identical and they're all in different classes. There are enough kids in that age group to do that, but next year, I think there's only 2 classes for that age group. I don't know what they're going to do then. Now it's boys and girls and next year, they're separated.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 9:54 pm
I had twins in my class that were never separated. we only had one grade of my age group & the other school didn't have a first grade until we were in third grade. they couldn't have moved one up b/c they were born in december. they seemed to be ok though.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 10:57 pm
My Nephews had to be separated, because one was having his brother fight all his battles. As soon as they were separated, the one who was always fighting settled down, and became a good student.

My sons school made a third class of his grade to accommodate triplets. I think its really the best way to help the kids develop out of the twin triplet association.

ffbmom

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 11:33 pm
Two years ago in my class I had four sets of twins, three sets were separated and one was in my class with her twin. These were two twin girls. Except for the fact that one wore glasses, I could never tell them apart. I had such a hard time giving them their own identity and making sure their report cards reflected their individual personalities (they were almost the same in personality type too). I then spoke to the mom and I recommended that they be separated for the coming year. This past year they were separated and they had a much better year. It gets tricky with friends also when they are both friends with the same person. In another class they have a greater chance to be friends with other people.

Pineapple

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 11:35 pm
I remmeber once hearing by a mothers of multiples meeting when dr. tropers (bp ob/gyn) wife spoke and said she always considered her trips (boys) to be individuals

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
I know a set of triplets in 3 different schools.

That seems a bit extreme. It must be hard for the parents to deal with 3 different schedules, hanhalas, rules, PTA meetings, overlapping schedules, and not getting any bit of a tuition break??

Coffee3

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 3:58 pm
My twins started off preschool together. The first year was wonderful. The second year, they did not have the best teacher and were learning alphabet and aleph bais. My son did not learn anything the whole year. He would always rely on his sister for answers. (I did not notice it right away, certainly, the teacher was not helpful)
Since 6 years old they were separated. This school has boys/girls together till about 4th grade and there is another set of boy/girl twins that are together but I still think for my situation they are better apart. (I never wanted to separate them!)
Because they are boy/girl they do not have all the same friends and are not compared to each other. In fact I'm surprised when someone calls them "the twins".

I knew a set of twins who were so identical, I only knew which was which from their hair. After one of them changed her hair I could no longer tell. I felt bad for them that I always had to ask which one they were.

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 5:30 pm
mytwo22 wrote:
My twins started off preschool together. The first year was wonderful. The second year, they did not have the best teacher and were learning alphabet and aleph bais. My son did not learn anything the whole year. He would always rely on his sister for answers. (I did not notice it right away, certainly, the teacher was not helpful)
Since 6 years old they were separated. This school has boys/girls together till about 4th grade and there is another set of boy/girl twins that are together but I still think for my situation they are better apart. (I never wanted to separate them!)
Because they are boy/girl they do not have all the same friends and are not compared to each other. In fact I'm surprised when someone calls them "the twins".

I knew a set of twins who were so identical, I only knew which was which from their hair. After one of them changed her hair I could no longer tell. I felt bad for them that I always had to ask which one they were.

funny you said that.. a neighbour of mine said she knew a set of boy twins who were so identical they could only be told apart from they way they shaved at teh back.. one did it differently....

when one of them was engaged.... teh poor kalla got so confused as to who was her chosson LOL

deevee

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 8:52 pm
I have 4 1/2 year old twins. They started kindergarten in seperate classes this year and it took a few days of adjusting, but now they love comparing all the stuff that they bring home. One had a play this week and the other one took it very well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more