Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Best restaurants in Yerushalayim for family
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:49 am
We'll be visiting Yerushalayim for a few days imyH and I want to have a list of food options handy. What would be your top recommendations for restaurants - including fast food and nice restaurants (but not too fancy - it would be a waste on the kids), both milchig and fleishig. For milchig it can be anything Rabbanut Mehadrin and above, and for fleishig - it needs to be above Rabbanut Mehadrin (e.g. Rubin, Badatz, Machpud, etc.).

Location - preferably town/geulah/old city area but will travel to other areas if worthwhile.

Thanks!

Success10

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:13 am
Haven't really eaten at these places, but here's a few well known places:

For milchigs: Ice Story Romema, Waffle Bar Ramat Eshkol, Ben Yehuda Felafel and pizza Bar Ilan, Sams Bagels Ramat Eshkol

For fleish: Entrecote, Atza Sushi bar Romema, Papagaio (check hechsher), Sheyan (check hechsher)

Reality

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 11:10 am
Success10 wrote:

For milchigs: Ice Story Romema, Waffle Bar Ramat Eshkol, Ben Yehuda Felafel and pizza Bar Ilan, Sams Bagels Ramat Eshkol

For fleish: Entrecote, Atza Sushi bar Romema, Papagaio (check hechsher), Sheyan (check hechsher)

Papagaio has fabulous food and it's an amazing experience but it's fleishigs, rabbanut mehadrin.

The falafel place in the Rova is really delicious, pareve, machpud. And Hello Taiman has the best shwarma, machpud, but it's right at the entrance to Yerushalayim, right near Givat Shaul.

Lizzie4

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 11:58 am
Ruben in Givat Shaul is an amazing restaurant experience for a family. It's a nice burger restaurant. Hechsher is Machpud. https://www.waze.com/he/live-m.....2axy4

Also, IMA Restaurant. https://ima-rest.co.il/ - Hechsher is Rubin

I would also recommend Cafe Denya in Givat Shaul: https://www.waze.com/he/live-m.....2axy4

sbs

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:23 pm
Reality wrote:
Papagaio has fabulous food and it's an amazing experience but it's fleishigs, rabbanut mehadrin.

The falafel place in the Rova is really delicious, pareve, machpud. And Hello Taiman has the best shwarma, machpud, but it's right at the entrance to Yerushalayim, right near Givat Shaul.

I heard Halo Taiman just got a new hechsher that people who used to eat there now don't use.
Anyone know what it is?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:31 pm
Everything here is kid friendly. My fav places as a foodie couple

Milchigs: Denya, Cafe Lyon, Anthony's Pizza (artisan pizza) Cafe Gan Sipur, Gagou DE Paris (French Bakery) Nuna (Mufleta google it), Quesadias Ascensio (Mexican) Infused JLM (deserts and fancy herbal drinks) Powerworks coffee (supposed to be the best coffee), Luciana.

Anything not explained in () is a dairy restaraunt.

Almost all of these are rabbanut mehadrin. Some are others but all mehadrin. We eat the same stuff as you basically

For meat: Noya (the best and not overpriced steakhouse IMHO) Hello Taiman (Yemen) (the best shawarma) Arba Tamim (the best Shnitzel sandwiches) pit master (haven't gone yet but I keep hearing amazing reviews. It's a literal show and they started having English nights. Must book in advance. Not for kids)

Theres definitely more but I'll list more when I remember them.

Almost all of these are in town or in the case of Denya it's accesible by lightrail.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:34 pm
Success10 wrote:

Everytime I go to ice story it's literally the worst food ever. I only go with friends who eat higher heschers and won't eat rabbanut mehadrin. I really don't recomed.

Sam's bagels is okay.... Like I would not run there it's like if I'm stuck there and I don't want to pay for waffle bar I guess I'll get a bagel type of way.

Muffin boutique on be yehudah has pretty good bagels, plus holy bagel in the old city.

Everything else you reccomended is a reccomendation from me too.

EDIT: I see someone recommended Ruben. It is amazing!

Also if you want to save money most meat places have great lunch/business specials till 4:30/5 which is great timing for kids, everything is cheaper and it's emptier.

Also tipping is 10% up to 15% if you feel nice. If you can afford to do more I'm sure it will be appreciated but these are the norms.

Success10

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:43 pm
Also, if you want a visual treat to go with your edible treats, try the stunning D-City near Maaleh Adumim (really not a far drive) They have a few restaurants in their food court that might meet your standards, including a sit down, restaurant style branch of the famous Pizza Uri in Geula.

Reality

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:52 pm
sbs wrote:
I heard Halo Taiman just got a new hechsher that people who used to eat there now don't use.
Anyone know what it is?

Machpud is the new hechsher that many Ashkenazi chareidim don't eat. It used to have an Ashkenazi chareidi hechsher, don't remember which one.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:08 pm
This is so helpful, thanks so much!

Where would be the best place to pick up a good salad for lunch (near town)?

Lizzie4

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

Town doesn't have so many places with good Hechshers. If you want to try Wolt to order salads, it's great: https://wolt.com/en/discovery/.....adrin

You can filter it all by Hechsher!

Cafe Denya recently opened a branch on Yafo. It's great for salads. https://wolt.com/en/isr/jerusa.....srael

Sam's bagels on Paran - Ramat Eshkol

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:24 pm
Reality wrote:
Machpud is the new hechsher that many Ashkenazi chareidim don't eat. It used to have an Ashkenazi chareidi hechsher, don't remember which one.

Every single fleishig restaraunt in RBS is basically machpud expect like one and most people unless than are super yeshivish no internet or smartphones type.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:25 pm
amother OP wrote:

To go like fast food? Or to eat in? Lyon has an amazing salad with salmon and avacodo. It's one of my favorites.

Success10

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

How about Green's Rechavia?

Success10

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:10 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
Everything here is kid friendly. My fav places as a foodie couple

Milchigs: Denya, Cafe Lyon, Anthony's Pizza (artisan pizza) Cafe Gan Sipur, Gagou DE Paris (French Bakery) Nuna (Mufleta google it), Quesadias Ascensio (Mexican) Infused JLM (deserts and fancy herbal drinks) Powerworks coffee (supposed to be the best coffee), Luciana.

Anything not explained in () is a dairy restaraunt.

Almost all of these are rabbanut mehadrin. Some are others but all mehadrin. We eat the same stuff as you basically

For meat: Noya (the best and not overpriced steakhouse IMHO) Hello Taiman (Yemen) (the best shawarma) Arba Tamim (the best Shnitzel sandwiches) pit master (haven't gone yet but I keep hearing amazing reviews. It's a literal show and they started having English nights. Must book in advance. Not for kids)

Theres definitely more but I'll list more when I remember them.

Almost all of these are in town or in the case of Denya it's accesible by lightrail.

Where is this Powerworks Coffee you speak of? Sounds tempting... Coffee

Reality

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:22 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
Every single fleishig restaraunt in RBS is basically machpud expect like one and most people unless than are super yeshivish no internet or smartphones type.

Well that's a lot of people!

I only mentioned it because another poster said that restaurant switched hashgachas recently. I know that because I know people who won't eat there anymore.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:47 pm
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but Pizza Hut in Pisgat Zev just got a Rubin Hechsher!
They deliver also

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:49 pm
amother Lilac wrote:

I don't live in RBS. In Yerushalayim Machpud is not a usual hechsher among American Chareidim. I cook meals for many different nsheis and each nshei has their own list of acceptable hechsherim to send to families from that nshei- I've never had a nshei that told me Machpud was okay to send.

On the other hand, my very Chareidi friend is Sefardi and much more stringent with hechsherim than me and they eat Machpud because it's a Sefardi hechsher.

Success10

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:58 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
I don't live in RBS. In Yerushalayim Machpud is not a usual hechsher among American Chareidim. I cook meals for many different nsheis and each nshei has their own list of acceptable hechsherim to send to families from that nshei- I've never had a nshei that told me Machpud was okay to send.

On the other hand, my very Chareidi friend is Sefardi and much more stringent with hechsherim than me and they eat Machpud because it's a Sefardi hechsher.

Sorry to notpick, but it's not a Sefardi hechsher. Its under the auspicies of a Sefardi rav, but the shittos they use are acceptable by Ashkenazi standards as well as Sefardi.

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:06 pm
Ramot mall also has many restaurants with top hechsherim. They have a Pizza Hut that's Rubin, zissalek, waffle bar, holy bagels and probably a couple others that I missed. They also have a Zalmans which can be fun with the kids, there's also a Zalmans in Ben yehuda that can be a good option if you're in town
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions