Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Sephardic Schools in Jerusalem

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 9:28 pm
Hi,
We’re thinking of making Aliyah to Jerusalem and would greatly appreciate any info on Sephardic schools there, a boys elementary school and a girls elementary school. I guess you could say we’re Yeshivish- my husband’s black hat in kollel, we have smart phones…my husband thinks that falls under charedi schools but from my understanding charedi boys don’t get any secular education in high school (which I was hoping for, and some chance of a college degree if kollel doesn’t work out)…so a bit confused about the schooling. Please help clarify the options!
Thank you in advance!!

salt

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 5:02 am
Regarding girls' beit yaakov schools -
The sefardi elementary schools are known to attract in general a lower class population.
Many sefardi girls just go to the regular local beit yaakov school, which has a student makeup similar to the area they are located in.
They probably daven ashkenazi nusach, but apart from that, your eida is not relevant, and the girls don't seem to get mixed up with the nusach at school and at home/shul.

Boys sephardi elementary schools I don't know about.

But if you are looking at boys' charedi schools that do secular studies as well as kodesh, you would want to look at the 'mamlachti charedi' schools, eg Beit Rabban - they probably have a mixture of askenazim and sephardim.

Success10

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 5:09 am
Salt was right about the Beis Yaakovs, the Sefardi girls go to the mainstream bais yaakov, if they more or less fit the Chareidi mold. For boys, it's very hard to get them into Ashkenazi schools, so there are many sefardi chadarim. The culture of Israeli Sefardi is very different than American and your boys might be in for a culture shock.

In general, if you are Sfardi or not super Yeshivish, Jerusalem is not the place to be. Out of Jerusalem the schools are more open and less selective (about Sfardi, smartphones...), and have more chadarim with a secular education for the boys. Rechovot or RBS are better locales for Aliyah if you are coming in not really fitting the Chareidi mold.

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 5:41 am
Success10 wrote:
Salt was right about the Beis Yaakovs, the Sefardi girls go to the mainstream bais yaakov, if they more or less fit the Chareidi mold. For boys, it's very hard to get them into Ashkenazi schools, so there are many sefardi chadarim. The culture of Israeli Sefardi is very different than American and your boys might be in for a culture shock.

In general, if you are Sfardi or not super Yeshivish, Jerusalem is not the place to be. Out of Jerusalem the schools are more open and less selective (about Sfardi, smartphones...), and have more chadarim with a secular education for the boys. Rechovot or RBS are better locales for Aliyah if you are coming in not really fitting the Chareidi mold.

All this. Standard Chairedi is no smartphones unless your Rav can sign off you need it for work and it's filtered and all.....

salt

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 5:42 am
amother IndianRed wrote:
All this. Standard Chairedi is no smartphones unless your Rav can sign off you need it for work and it's filtered and all.....

Or if you just make sure to sign up with your kosher phone number, and always call the school from your kosher phone.

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 5:43 am
salt wrote:
Or if you just make sure to sign up with your kosher phone number, and always call the school from your kosher phone.

Thats too but it's a huge thing to keep hiding it, and I'm sure there's other things they do that don't match up to chareidi standards....

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 6:59 am
You don't have to have a Rav sign it off that you need the phone for work. Not when I signed up 2 yrs ago with my non kosher number to a very chareidi cheder or last year to a typical Israeli beit Yaakov.
If your job on the application form has the ability to need a smartphone it should be enough. Strangely my main job doesn't and they didn't make a fuss.
I do know people that have 2 phones or dual SIM with a kosher number.
If they are hesitant to take you, they can use it as an excuse.

Israeli Sefardi is VERY different to chutznik Sefardi so make sure you fit otherwise your child will be singled by Israeli kids.
I don't think there is any yeshivish cheider with secular studies towards college/degree level.

salt

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 7:23 am
amother Bisque wrote:
You don't have to have a Rav sign it off that you need the phone for work. Not when I signed up 2 yrs ago with my non kosher number to a very chareidi cheder or last year to a typical Israeli beit Yaakov.
If your job on the application form has the ability to need a smartphone it should be enough. Strangely my main job doesn't and they didn't make a fuss.
I do know people that have 2 phones or dual SIM with a kosher number.
If they are hesitant to take you, they can use it as an excuse.

Israeli Sefardi is VERY different to chutznik Sefardi so make sure you fit otherwise your child will be singled by Israeli kids.
I don't think there is any yeshivish cheider with secular studies towards college/degree level.

No elementary school has secular studies to college level.
However there are yeshivish high schools with secular studies to Bagrut level - Hayishuv, Nehora (I think that's what it's called).

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 10:51 am
Check out Maor HaTorah in Kiryat Moshe for boys elementary, my friends are generally happy with it and it sounds like it could be a good fit for you.

I don't know about for girls though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions