Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Fasting when pregnant with twins
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 11:57 pm
Tisha Be'av is coming up, and although this is my fifth pregnancy B"H, it is my first pregnancy with twins and although I will IY"H ask my LOR, I was wondering if there is any difference with regard to how many are in there when fasting...

amother

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 12:11 am
My rav told me not to fast on Tisha B'Av. I was in my sixth month. I happened to know someone who was due around the same time as me and the same rav who told me that I shouldn't fast, told her that she should. I guess that with twins there is more of a risk for complications ex: preterm labor.

WeAreOne

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 12:29 am
I was in NY (on vacation) when I was pregnant with twins. We asked the Rav and he said to fast normally. But he said to stay home in the cool, with a fan and not get out of the house. BH I made it to the end.

hila

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 12:31 am
Please listen to your Rav and doctor.
Dont try and be clever and think you will try fasting if they say you do not have to fast. that is not a chumra. It is wrong.
Drink and drink and drink, since you are probably in a hot place.

If you do not get a heter to drink and eat, if you feel at all bad, or any contractions, you are endangering your babies. Please - if you need to ask a sheala on the fast itself - dont. Just start drinking.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 3:01 am
I was also told not to fast on 9 Av, but it was my second pregnancy and my 1st ended in a m/c. How far along are you? I was about 7 weeks on 9 Av and told to eat normally (but simple foods).

baba

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 4:40 am
I agree with Hila, dont just ask your rav, also ask your doctor!

myfriends715

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 6:48 am
I was in my 7th last yr and told not to fast Smile

tovarena

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 12:23 pm
I've always been a lousy faster. I don't remember exactly how far along I was at tisha b'av - maybe 6.5 months? And I was told without a doubt that I should not even try to fast.

mom21n2

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 12:29 pm
First of all, you need to maintain your higher than usual fluid intake, especially with multiples.
Second of all, it is a medical fact that fasting can bring on labor.
So, assuming your doctor knows all this, I would be surprised if s/he would give you permission to fast.

livalittle

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:16 am
My doc doesn't let me fast, and honestly, I'm pretty appreciative for that bec. although I can manage the hunger - the thirst is a real knockout for me. I'm drinking 3-5 cups of water an hr - minimum and cant imagine going for more than thirty minutes without water. I'll be in my 32nd week IYH, so I guess there's also the risk of preterm labor.

Last year I was at the end of my fourth month of pregnancy on Tisha B'av and had an amazing fast, but I also had subsequent dreams - on 8 & 9 Av that I left the hospital without a child - and woke up next morning bleeding and was told there was no heartbeat. It was devastating. So food or no food, Tisha B'av is a sad scary time for me and I can't wait for it to be past me. I've been very nervous...but hoping for the best, of course.

jewgal84

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 3:11 pm
When I was preg with twins...

I was told by Rav that if I felt weak, I could break the fast.

But on YK.. I had no choice, I had to fast.

hila

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 3:14 pm
How did you all manage the fast ?

here in EY it ws hot and difficult for me and I am not pg.

(past all that )

beshaa tova

GAMZu

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 5:10 pm
Just curious, those of you who got a heter last year for 9 Av, what did you do on YK?

jewgal84

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 7:24 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Just curious, those of you who got a heter last year for 9 Av, what did you do on YK?

Stay in bed all night/day.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 7:34 pm
I guess that works for someone pregnant with their first kid only...

chaylizi

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 7:38 pm
hila wrote:
How did you all manage the fast ?

here in EY it ws hot and difficult for me and I am not pg.

(past all that )

beshaa tova

it was cold here today.maybe in the 50s and it poured on shabbos. a dramatic change for a city that has been constant 90s with dying grass.

jewgal84

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 7:40 pm
GAMZu wrote:

You mean first kids only...right?

chaylizi

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 7:40 pm
GAMZu wrote:

when I was expecting my last baby, I didn't move the entire yom kippur. my mother took my daughter to shul with her to the babysitters. everyone took turns coming home to check onme b/c I tend to faint when I fast. it was lots of fun.

Pineapple

Post Sun, Aug 10 2008, 7:53 pm
When I was pg. with my twins I was told not to fast on 9av for yk I did shiurim

Coffee3

Post Mon, Sep 29 2008, 9:48 am
At the beginning of my pregnancy with twins I was told not to fast because it was still in the dangerous stage. At the end there was no reason to not fast.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more