Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Just don’t feel like getting an engagement ring
1  2  Next

wigboutique

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:12 pm
I've exhausted myself so much on trying to find a perfect ring, and have given up on it. I feel like everyone wants to have one because it's more of a social custom, especially in upper class circles, or to those who are into style. I really don't feel like I need one. It's been several years since I've married, my original rings (not really costly) got lost. My husband and I earn enough now hodu l’Hashem, but regardless I would get a moissanite or lab diamond. I am sensitive to feeling stuff on my skin so previous rings I had gave me a sense of discomfort. I have a beautiful gold ring that I wear on my pointer finger. My question is, for the sake of appearing to be married, Is that enough? What does the klal think? Is it a must to have an engagement ring on your ring finger? What’s your take? I read before on the forums here that a lot of women unfortunately try to guess strangers’ marital status based on whether they had a ring or not. What do you think?
TIA

Israeli

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:13 pm
I never wear my engagement ring or wedding band. I'm very sensory and jewelery drives me nuts.

scruffy

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:15 pm
I lost mine and just wear a wedding band.

I didn't wear the band during pregnancy though since my fingers were swollen.

There are lots of married women who don't wear any rings, for a variety of reasons. If you don't want one you don't need to get one.

Genius

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:20 pm
You can wear a tichel on your head so everyone knows you’re married 😉. It’s cheaper too.

Olive

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:22 pm
I only wear rings for special occasions like a wedding.

wigboutique

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:23 pm
Genius wrote:
You can wear a tichel on your head so everyone knows you’re married 😉. It’s cheaper too.

A lot of divorced women still cover

HH613

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:24 pm
If it’s not going to make you happy and it’s going to get you annoyed because of the sensation there’s no reason you need to. .

Re wearing a tichel- it may not indicate a current marriage but could make people think she was previously married.

I do use rings as contextual clues to see if someone is married but I don’t necessarily assume that if they’re covering their hair but have no rings that they’re not married. But it’s definitely going to make me think that it’s possible they’re divorced.

When I was pregnant with swollen fingers I got fake rings because I love wearing my diamond ring and I want to look married.

All that being said, you do you!

Last edited by HH613 on Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

wigboutique

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:24 pm
Appreciate all the responses!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:25 pm
wigboutique wrote:
I've exhausted myself so much on trying to find a perfect ring, and have given up on it. I feel like everyone wants to have one because it's more of a social custom, especially in upper class circles, or to those who are into style. I really don't feel like I need one. It's been several years since I've married, my original rings (not really costly) got lost. My husband and I earn enough now hodu l’Hashem, but regardless I would get a moissanite or lab diamond. I am sensitive to feeling stuff on my skin so previous rings I had gave me a sense of discomfort. I have a beautiful gold ring that I wear on my pointer finger. My question is, for the sake of appearing to be married, Is that enough? What does the klal think? Is it a must to have an engagement ring on your ring finger? What’s your take? I read before on the forums here that a lot of women unfortunately try to guess strangers’ marital status based on whether they had a ring or not. What do you think?
TIA

Its not even a must to have an engagement ring at all. I know a few women who didnt even want engagement rings at all.
And many dont wear engagement or wedding rings.
There is no requirement.
Do whst you feel is right, for YOU.

ima_bima

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:29 pm
I never got nor wanted an engagement ring. Just a plain gold wedding band. I thought it was halachically problemtatic to receive a ring before the wedding?

scruffy

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:30 pm
ima_bima wrote:
I never got nor wanted an engagement ring. Just a plain gold wedding band. I thought it was halachically problemtatic to receive a ring before the wedding?

I think that's only a Chabad thing. Every other community (AFAIK) gets a ring when they get engaged or during engagement.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:33 pm
scruffy wrote:
I think that's only a Chabad thing. Every other community (AFAIK) gets a ring when they get engaged or during engagement.

But as I said above (and was hugged, not sure why) there are women who dont want a ring.
And thats fine too.

ima_bima

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:35 pm
scruffy wrote:

Ahh that makes sense, Im a lubavitcher.
Whatever money was saved on the ring got spent on the sheitel lol

:)iknowit

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:47 pm
I can’t stand wearing jewelry. I wear my wedding band on a thin necklace that doesn’t bother me. It’s against my skin, it’s not seen but I like the symbolism.

Just saying you do you. No need to wear anything you don’t want to.

Genius

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:48 pm
wigboutique wrote:
A lot of divorced women still cover

Yes that does pose as a problem. It’s not toras moshe misinai to wear a ring, so you really don’t have to.

Unigala

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:50 pm
I cant imagine why someone wouldn't want a gorgeous engagement ring.

but thats just me!! you for sure dont have to get one if you wouldn't enjoy it..

ima_bima

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:52 pm
Genius wrote:
Yes that does pose as a problem. It’s not toras moshe misinai to wear a ring, so you really don’t have to.

A few years ago, when pregnancy made my fingers swell, I asked my Rav if I must wear my wedding ring and he said yes. He said to get it resized if needed but that it wasnt optional, so I did.

Genius

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:56 pm
ima_bima wrote:
A few years ago, when pregnancy made my fingers swell, I asked my Rav if I must wear my wedding ring and he said yes. He said to get it resized if needed but that it wasnt optional, so I did.

Interesting. I would never think to ask about it. I wonder if this is a widely accepted opinion.

HH613

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:56 pm
ima_bima wrote:

Why not buy cheap fake rings for pregnancy? Seems like a hassle and expense to get them resized and then presumably needing to size back down post birth?

ima_bima

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 1:09 pm
HH613 wrote:
Why not buy cheap fake rings for pregnancy? Seems like a hassle and expense to get them resized and then presumably needing to size back down post birth?

I wish they went back to normal afterwards!! It was worth the 100 shekels to size up. Will probably not be my last size up Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics