Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Suppers under $15
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 6:41 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
Bottom line- chalav yisroel, pas yisroel and heimish hechsher tuna just cost more.

Yup. And if you're dealing with food restrictions, the prices go up even more (we have one gluten free so any meal with a gluten component also needs an expensive alternative).

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 6:49 pm
I live in lakewood.
Aldi has eggs for $1.12 almost every week. Cole slaw and iceberg lettuce are usually around $1.50 per bag.
Ground beef is regularly on sale for $3.99/pound.
I git a round yom tov time a case of 48 cans of tuna for $50. Dagim brand bishul yisrael.
Shredded cheese is $10/2lbs bag.

ddmom

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 6:53 pm
My kids love chicken soup. I serve it with veggies from the soup, matza balls and shredded chicken so a couple of pcs stretch to a lot. I will occasionally do it during the week!

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 6:55 pm
Lentil-veggie soup with mac and cheese

Bean based vegetarian chili over mashed potatoes

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can I have the meat pizza recipe?

Pulled Beef with 1 top of the rib roast or deckle that's on sale

Set crockpot to high. Liberally rub meat with 2 tbsp oil, then generously cover the meat with kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
Place the meat in the crockpot and add 3/4 cup water. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Use 2 forks to shred beef directly in crockpot. Ladle out some of the liquid (save as flavoring stock broth) but leave some and add 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce; mix it all up together and turn crockpot to keep warm.

While meat is slow cooking, caramelize a lot of onions. Season well until tasty.

Make pizza dough, roll into individual pies, pierce with fork and bake until crisp to your liking.

Spread garlic mayo on each ready pizza round; spoon on some caramelized onion, then top with shredded beef. Drizzle with hot sauce and parve Caesar Dressing. Enjoy!

Freeze remaining shredded beef for future pizza.

(You can also make a tomato jam to use if you'd like with tomatoes, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt and boil then lower to simmer for 40–60 minutes. Mash with a fork and let cool.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:03 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Pulled Beef with 1 top of the rib roast or deckle that's on sale

Set crockpot to high. Liberally rub meat with 2 tbsp oil, then generously cover the meat with kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
Place the meat in the crockpot and add 3/4 cup water. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Use 2 forks to shred beef directly in crockpot. Ladle out some of the liquid (save as flavoring broth) but leave some and add 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce; mix it all up together and turn crockpot to keep warm.

While meat is slow cooking, caramelize a lot of onions. Season well until tasty.

Make pizza dough, roll into individual pies, pierce with fork and bake until crisp to your liking.

Spread garlic mayo on each ready pizza round; spoon on some caramelized onion, then top with shredded beef. Drizzle with hot sauce and parve Caesar Dressing. Enjoy!

Freeze remaining shredded beef for future pizza.

(You can also make a tomato jam to use if you'd like with tomatoes, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt and boil then lower to for 40–60 minutes. Mash with a fork and let cool.)

thank you!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:10 pm
5 eggs = $1.16, not $0.50.
My eggs are $2.79 a dozen.

I also don't know how OP purchases 7 cans of 6 oz tuna for $8.50. My tuna is $2.19 for 6 oz can so 36 oz is $15.33.

The meat and chicken amounts don't match my bills either.

Though I admit these suppers are budget friendly, the pricing is off.

I get walmart tuna- not fancy albacore. the cheap tuna. its $2.16 for 12 ounces. Im actually forgetting now if I made 48 ounces for $8.50ish or 36 ounces for $6.50

eggs are $1.50 from Aldie so about 12 cents an egg

I buy a large family pack of drumsticks from Costco. Empire brand for about 12 or 13 dollars. drumsticks are cheaper than quarters.

I buy ground beef often on sale for 3.99 a pound. 2lbs is $8. if its not on sale I will use 1.5 lb packages and the meat pasta is just less meaty.

we are not makpid on CY, Pas Yisrael, and have no food allergies so I have flexibility.

I do have picky children so I dont buy a ton of veggies since they dont eat it.

momX4

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:13 pm
Just made this the other night.

Onion soup
Homemade sourdough bread turned into veggies grilled chease
Cut veggies platter

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:29 pm
I discovered how to make something similar to laffas. A simple baking powder dough I roll out and fry on my grill pan. 4 cups of flour made enough for me, dh, kids 7, 5, 4, 2, plus had more than enough for lunch the next day. I topped with a drop of rice for me and dh, plus 1 lb of air fried chicken which cost me 5.99. we didn't need a lot Bec the bread was so filling and you can only put 1 piece of chicken in each laffa. I cut them to nugget size. Supper cost maybe $9?

Simple suppers generally not so expensive

Usually protein is $5-8 depending on sales in Moishas - just under a pound if gound beef or mixed grind beef, or 1 lb of dark or light chicken cutlets. Plus maybe a dollar or two for toppings/crumbs.

Unless mac and cheese which costs less than $3, $1 pasta, half a bag of cheese which is $2.5 on sale a few times a year ad we freeze.

Side dish is usually $1-4. Box of Pasta/rice/farfel/homemade or frozen fries which is the most expensive.

Rare I do a vegetable at night... I try to get them to eat healthier snacks/fruit when they come home from school.

Tao

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:29 pm
I made last night skirt steak wraps (mostly because I'm still majorly off chicken, my kids are not hugely into ground beef or vegetarian, and I'm sick to death milchig suppers)
I don't normally do it because steak is expensive but I was surprised how affordable it was. Since it's a thin cut it's not very expensive and if you stuff the wraps with other filling things like guacamole, corn or baby corn, fried or pickled onions, sauteed veg etc it works out very affordable.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:34 pm
Tao wrote:
I made last night skirt steak wraps (mostly because I'm still majorly off chicken, my kids are not hugely into ground beef or vegetarian, and I'm sick to death milchig suppers)
I don't normally do it because steak is expensive but I was surprised how affordable it was. Since it's a thin cut it's not very expensive and if you stuff the wraps with other filling things like guacamole, corn or baby corn, fried or pickled onions, sauteed veg etc it works out very affordable.

Even if you can stretch it, $36 a pound is affordable?

Tao

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:36 pm
Even if you can stretch it, $36 a pound is affordable?

If you don't put a huge amount of meat in each. I managed to stretch it quite far LOL no-one complained!
added lots of other good things. The amount of meat in each wrap was definitely not a portion you'd serve as say an actual portion of meat

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 10:33 pm
amother Sage wrote:
I discovered how to make something similar to laffas. A simple baking powder dough I roll out and fry on my grill pan. 4 cups of flour made enough for me, dh, kids 7, 5, 4, 2, plus had more than enough for lunch the next day. I topped with a drop of rice for me and dh, plus 1 lb of air fried chicken which cost me 5.99. we didn't need a lot Bec the bread was so filling and you can only put 1 piece of chicken in each laffa. I cut them to nugget size. Supper cost maybe $9?

Simple suppers generally not so expensive

Usually protein is $5-8 depending on sales in Moishas - just under a pound if gound beef or mixed grind beef, or 1 lb of dark or light chicken cutlets. Plus maybe a dollar or two for toppings/crumbs.

Unless mac and cheese which costs less than $3, $1 pasta, half a bag of cheese which is $2.5 on sale a few times a year ad we freeze.

Side dish is usually $1-4. Box of Pasta/rice/farfel/homemade or frozen fries which is the most expensive.

Rare I do a vegetable at night... I try to get them to eat healthier snacks/fruit when they come home from school.

Could you share your laffa recipe? Tia

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 10:40 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
Could you share your laffa recipe? Tia

4 cups all-purpose flour

1 tbsp baking powder

2 teaspoons fine sea salt

4 tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoon sugar

1.5 cups cold water

Vegetable oil for frying

Mix first 3 ingredients, make a well and add next 3, leaving a drop of water out in case you don't need it. Mix with a utensil until comes together, adding remaining water if too dry. Remove to a flour lined surface and knead until smoothes out, a few minutes. Cover with a towel for at least 10 minutes, I think longer is better.

Cut into 12 pieces or just grab off small balls. Using a rolling pin, roll out thin. You will need to sprinkle flour.

Spray a grill pan or skillet with oil and heat, then grill bread. It should be hot enough that bubbles form quickly, then flip. Honestly not so great at maintaining a heat level or timing but it came out more or less ok anyway.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 10:52 pm
tichellady wrote:
Lentils and rice
Cornbread and vegetarian chili
Dutch baby pancake or cottage cheese pancakes with fruit
Red lentil sweet potato stew with rice
Homemade focaccia and split pea soup

Can you please post your recipe for red lentil sweet potato stew with rice?

happy7

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 10:53 pm
I’m not sure how many people you can serve supper to for $15.
For most people, the simplest of foods is going to cost more than that.
And if you have any hiddurim of kashrus, you can barely do $15 every night even for two people.

amother
Clear

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 10:56 pm
happy7 wrote:
And if you have any hiddurim of kashrus, you can barely do $15 every night even for two people.

We eat pas yisroel, cholov yisroel, bishul yisroel. I'm making supper for 5-10 people every night. A few of my meals are under $15, most are under $20. They are simple meals, and mostly pareve.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 12:30 pm
happy7 wrote:

I feed 7 people (4 adult portions and 3 child portions). Sometimes I have leftovers.

I am able to do a carb, vegetable, and protein for all meals.

The key is not overdoing the protein. I use 1 to 1.5 lbs of chopped meat/mix. I used to do 3 lbs for a meal because the meat was the focus but now I premix the meat into the pasta so I need less. If I was ladling the meat over the pasta I would need double the amount.

I do drumsticks in a stew. I shred it into the stew so we need less. If everyone was getting a whole portion of chicken like I do on shabbos, I would need 7 servings of chicken. Which is at least $20. With stew and shredded drumstick chicken, we can cut down significantly.

I slice up turkey hot dogs into eggs. Eggs are cheap and turkey dogs are also cheap. We don't need more than 3 or 4 hot dogs cut into the eggs. If I was serving a meal of hot dogs, I would need at least 2 per person. And no one likes the taste of turkey dogs as a standalone. In eggs, they don't care what kind of dog it is. Beef dogs are more expensive so I am able to avoid it.

Pizza is cheap and filling. So is Mac and cheese.

Tuna patties are tons of protein and very cheap. I can make 20 patties and have leftovers for less than 10 dollars.

My shabbos meals are more expensive but even then, I buy chicken bones to make soup rather than actual chicken. I buy challa on the sale counter. If they don't have, then I make challa at home. I make cake or buy cheap babkas and cookies from trader Joe's.

Obviously if you keep higher kashrus standards, yes your cost will be higher but you can still stretch food and save money.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 12:32 pm
Chicken wings are cheap, This is for a family of 10. Wings, pasta and 1 lb fresh carrot sticks cut up, is a dinner for $15.00.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 12:32 pm
happy7 wrote:

I wonder what you consider the simplest of meals. I have a feeling it involves chicken, meat or fish.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen