Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
I sent something I wrote to the Ami magazine
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 1:41 pm
And they didn’t acknowledge it.
I know it’s a good piece. It’s short but written well and from the heart.
I’m assuming they would have to cover the topic in order to print it. It’s a topic close to home for many people.
For a long time I wanted to send in some of my writings. I finally fixed this one up to submit. It’s the first time I sent something in.
I keep checking my email but I haven’t heard from them. It’s around a month or more.
It’s the first time I sent something in.
I have some more writings on can send but I wanted to start with that one.
I guess this is just a vent unless anyone has any good ideas where to send some of my work…

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:29 pm
Did you interact with their staff and let them know that you'll be sending something? Did you send it to the right email? Maybe they thought it's spam.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:31 pm
I don;t know for sure but either it didn't go the right inbox or they are still considering it.
The none interesting ones get rejected pretty quickly

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:33 pm
Is there a reason you sent it to davka Ami? Try Mishpacha, they will acknowledge that they've received it at the very least.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:35 pm
Maybe they don't want to publish anything on this topic?
Maybe they covered this topic recently?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:44 pm
amother Plum wrote:
Did you interact with their staff and let them know that you'll be sending something? Did you send it to the right email? Maybe they thought it's spam.

I don’t think people call them before they submit something. Do you know otherwise?

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:46 pm
Also know that once you submit something, even if they never acknowledge you - it belongs to them, so they can do whatever they want with it and give you zero credit.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:46 pm
watergirl wrote:
Is there a reason you sent it to davka Ami? Try Mishpacha, they will acknowledge that they've received it at the very least.

I like the Ami. I read it every week. I wanted to have it published there.
I can send to mishpacha. That’s a good idea. Thank you.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
And they didn’t acknowledge it.
I know it’s a good piece. It’s short but written well and from the heart.
I’m assuming they would have to cover the topic in order to print it. It’s a topic close to home for many people.
For a long time I wanted to send in some of my writings. I finally fixed this one up to submit. It’s the first time I sent something in.
I keep checking my email but I haven’t heard from them. It’s around a month or more.
It’s the first time I sent something in.
I have some more writings on can send but I wanted to start with that one.
I guess this is just a vent unless anyone has any good ideas where to send some of my work…

I’ve heard this from other people as well. They’ve turned down, without explanation, brilliant and well written articles on a number of interesting subjects… don’t take it personally. Many people don’t see any rhyme or reason for what they accept and what they reject.

Send your writing into other publications as well. Hopefully someone will pick it up.

amother
OP

amother Lemonlime wrote:
Maybe they don't want to publish anything on this topic?
Maybe they covered this topic recently?

No, I don’t think this topic was covered recently.

the world's best mom

They usually do acknowledge their submissions. You can email them again asking if they've received it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:48 pm
watergirl wrote:
Also know that once you submit something, even if they never acknowledge you - it belongs to them, so they can do whatever they want with it and give you zero credit.

So does that mean I can’t send it to another publication after I sent it to them?

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:49 pm
I would first write back to them and say if you don't hear back form them within however long, you will feel free to send it elsewhere.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:49 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
They usually do acknowledge their submissions. You can email them again asking if they've received it.

Can you give me the email address you’ve used? Maybe I sent it to the wrong email.
They didn’t reject it. They just didn’t acknowledge it.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:50 pm
watergirl wrote:
I wonder if that's true.

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:05 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I wonder if that's true.

Yes, it’s true, and it’s in the small print on their website somewhere. Same for any other magazine. People on this site have said before that they have sent in Stories to Ami Specifically, got no response, and later found story with another author’s by-line just a few things changed.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:10 pm
That's not retaining rights. That's plagiarism.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:11 pm
Does anyone know if this is the correct email address for a submission?

Submissions@amimagazine.org

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:11 pm
watergirl wrote:
Yes, it’s true, and it’s in the small print on their website somewhere. Same for any other magazine. People on this site have said before that they have sent in Stories to Ami Specifically, got no response, and later found story with another author’s by-line just a few things changed.

Is that legal?

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:13 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Is that legal?

I really don't know the laws of any of this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club