Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Allergic to sunscreen??

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 11:45 am
DS breaks into an itchy rash whenever he wears sunscreen. We saw an allergist who wasn't sure what was causing it and advised to try different sensitive brands. So far I've tried Ombrelle hypoallergenic and coppertone pure and simple which is 100% zinc oxide. He broke out in a rash with both of them.
Has anyone been through this and can offer advice? Thanks.

octopus

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 11:51 am
My daughter had same thing. I don't know what ingredient it is. I just use trial and error. I found that the pink banana boat was ok. The cream. Always test a small area before shmearing all over the body.

octopus

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 11:52 am
Coppertone was terrible. Made my daughter break out horribly no matter how sensitive the type of product

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 11:57 am
My daughter has very sensitive skin and her dermatologist said to only use Neutrogena.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 1:05 pm
My face burns with any sunscreen. I have yet to find one that works for me.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 1:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
DS breaks into an itchy rash whenever he wears sunscreen. We saw an allergist who wasn't sure what was causing it and advised to try different sensitive brands. So far I've tried Ombrelle hypoallergenic and coppertone pure and simple which is 100% zinc oxide. He broke out in a rash with both of them.
Has anyone been through this and can offer advice? Thanks.
I don’t have any recommendations but I did want to point out that the copper tone pure and simple has a lot of other ingredients in it besides zinc oxide. We really like the badger fragrance free sunscreen

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 1:54 pm
Thanks for all the replies. This is really helpful. I should probably add that it's a photoallergy, so he only gets a reaction once he's been in the sun with the sunscreen.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 4:57 pm
Bumping this up in case anyone else has sunscreen recommendations. Thanks

dragoneye126

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 5:16 pm
Yup, I am allergic to zinc oxide, which means that I can't wear mineral sunscreens at all. Try La Roche Posay for kids. It's very smooth. Good luck!

gingleale

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 5:30 pm
My kids get the rash when exposed to sun even without the sunscreen. We do the best with vanicream or blue lizard.

Shoshana Rose

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 5:41 pm
Try letting your child out without sunscreen. What will happen?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 5:46 pm
We got the think kids sunscreen this year and we like it so far. We don't have allergies but we try to be careful about ingredients and it's rated well by EWG. The coppertone doesn't have a good rating.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 6:38 pm
Shoshana Rose wrote:
Try letting your child out without sunscreen. What will happen?

The child is fine without sunscreen. It's a photoallergy so the rash only appears when the part of the body WITH the sunscreen is exposed to the sun.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 6:39 pm
amother Beige wrote:
We got the think kids sunscreen this year and we like it so far. We don't have allergies but we try to be careful about ingredients and it's rated well by EWG. The coppertone doesn't have a good rating.

Think has similar ingredients to other sunscreens that we've already tried so it won't work for us

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 6:44 pm
dragoneye126 wrote:
Yup, I am allergic to zinc oxide, which means that I can't wear mineral sunscreens at all. Try La Roche Posay for kids. It's very smooth. Good luck!

This is so interesting. I was told to try and find something that primarily has zinc oxide and less of other ingredients. Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong ingredients? Is yours a photoallergy?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:09 pm
My daughter broke out from sunscreen and this one worked for her.
Neutrogena Pure & Free
https://www.target.com/p/neutr.....aw.ds

helloyellow

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:09 pm
I had the same thing. coopertone was bad ,banana boat was ok. forgot every year which one was the good one so just stopped using sunscreen alltogether.

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:23 pm
Did you try Pipette Baby? Their products are generally gentle and clean. You can also check the EWG website for verified sunscreens. With my family's allergies, I've found the cleaner ingredient products usually don't trigger reactions.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 7:35 pm
Often the culprit is fragrance
Hatzlocha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics