Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
"Blink" (name of a book)

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 2:03 pm
anybody read it? I'm in the middle. It's fascinating. You can read a little bit of the beginning online.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....lance

Frumom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 9:58 am
someone just recommended that book to my husband. Said it was excellent, now my hubby is probably gonna get it

Frumom

Post Wed, Jan 04 2006, 10:34 am
What an interesting book! The marriage part in the beginning was quite freaky though.

ElTam

Post Wed, Jan 04 2006, 11:00 am
Motek, I read the little excerpt on this on Amazon and it looks fascinating. I'm going to see if my library has it.

If you liked this book, there's another book you would probably like called Freakonomics. And also one called Mind Hacks. The brain is so fascinating. Any time I read about how it works, I can almost feel HaShem's handprint on us.

chen

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 12:12 pm
Eh. I wasn't impressed. It was a fun read, but he says nothing earth-shattering.

I learned all this the hard way years ago. Often, when I meet a new person, I have an immediate sense that "this is someone who will be a good friend" or "this is not someone I should try to make friends with." As a teen, I tried to ignore those instant feelings of dislike and give everyone a chance to prove herself. To my sorrow, every one of the people in whom I sensed "bad vibes" really did turn out to be very bad friend material. After a while, I learned to respect, rather than reject, those "gut feelings".

Basically, we are responding to cues so subtle that we cannot immediately identify them. It's like a family member telling identical twins apart. Most of the time, the person cannot tell you HOW s/he knows, s/he just knows. It isn't magic--s/he is unconsciously picking up tiny differences in facial expression, stance, and so on.

Big deal.

chanala

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 12:30 pm
Our city's library system owns 150 copies of this book.

I just put myself on the waiting list.

I am #150 on the WAITING LIST!!!!

LOL...

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 12:54 pm
when I reserved it, I was #31 out of 41

then it dropped to #24 out of 37

a week later #14 out of 38

and was available soon after that

I wasn't that every single one out of the 37 had the book out for 3 weeks or I'd still be waiting!

zigi

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 1:33 pm
wow the book looks very interesting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room