Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Copywriting Course
1  2  Next

walmart

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 11:08 am
After reading about copywriting here I realized it's something I'd like to try.

Two courses I'm looking into is CopyTribe and Jacob McMillen. Can Anyone share how and if the two compare? Also, please recommend any other course if I'm just starting.

CopyTribe this year will be around 5k while Jacob McMillen is $997.

Any tips, advice or comments appreciated!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 12:09 pm
I know someone who did Copytribe. It's absolutely brilliant, and she was thrilled with the course itself and the level of support she received. It really delivers what it promises!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 12:18 pm
Do you get full access to all of McMillen's material and a Slack group?

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 12:27 pm
I took copy tribe the first time around and it was very good but it was very oriented into starting your own business. I realized after I took the course that the freelance life was not the life for me. I don't think it's worth the money if you don't plan on freelancing and running your own business. Think really really hard about if finding clients, making up contracts, and freelancing is the kind of life that is something you want to pursue.

fauxreal

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 12:57 pm
I took CopyTribe a few years ago. At the time I was in the field already for a year and I wanted to grow my knowledge and expertise.
The course helped me grow tremendously.

Notes:
- people who sign up should have a interest in/flair for writing
- The course encompasses all aspects of running a copywriting business, not just the writing part (great bonus)
- you get access to an amazing community of women in the same boat (still going strong)
- don’t expect a get rich quick scheme. You will have to watch the classes, do the homework, and put in the grunt work
- the earning potential is huge
- The course paid for itself - I was able to attain clients and charge my worth.
- I would definitely not be at this point in my career without having joined the course.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 2:13 pm
amother Dill wrote:
I took copy tribe the first time around and it was very good but it was very oriented into starting your own business. I realized after I took the course that the freelance life was not the life for me. I don't think it's worth the money if you don't plan on freelancing and running your own business. Think really really hard about if finding clients, making up contracts, and freelancing is the kind of life that is something you want to pursue.

What about working for an agency?

walmart

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 2:30 pm
fauxreal wrote:
I took CopyTribe a few years ago. At the time I was in the field already for a year and I wanted to grow my knowledge and expertise.
The course helped me grow tremendously.

Notes:
- people who sign up should have a interest in/flair for writing
- The course encompasses all aspects of running a copywriting business, not just the writing part (great bonus)
- you get access to an amazing community of women in the same boat (still going strong)
- don’t expect a get rich quick scheme. You will have to watch the classes, do the homework, and put in the grunt work
- the earning potential is huge
- The course paid for itself - I was able to attain clients and charge my worth.
- I would definitely not be at this point in my career without having joined the course.

So if I'm starting from scratch would you still recommend? I'd wait a bit to take her course but if I don't sign up now I'll have to wait a full year and I'm assuming next year the price will go up significantly.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 2:37 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
What about working for an agency?

You can work for an agency but a lot of the course is focused on running your own business. I would definitely reccomend a cheaper non Jewish course if you don't plan on freelancing. There's so much free and cheap courses. No reason to spend 5k.

If you want to open your own business copy tribe is worth the price tag.

walmart

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 2:38 pm
Another question, I looked thru some LinkedIn accounts and one thing everyone has in common is this exaggerated excitement and overdone cheerfulness and peppiness. I understand 'look at me' is what brings clients but if I'm an introverted creative, have I still got a chance? Very Happy

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 2:40 pm
walmart wrote:
Another question, I looked thru some LinkedIn accounts and one thing everyone has in common is this exaggerated excitement and overdone cheerfulness and peppiness. I understand 'look at me' is what brings clients but if I'm an introverted creative, have I still got a chance? Very Happy

Copywriting is the written version of selling. Ever met a salesperson who was like "You know we do some great stuff and maybe you check us out" in a neutral or meek voice.

That doesn't sell.

There is different styles to Copywriting. I'm not for the super peppy overly descriptive stuff but I'm not what writing style has to do with your own social interests? No one is making you talk more extraverted.

fauxreal

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 2:48 pm
walmart wrote:
So if I'm starting from scratch would you still recommend? I'd wait a bit to take her course but if I don't sign up now I'll have to wait a full year and I'm assuming next year the price will go up significantly.

I believe there are many who started from scratch and got to great places in their career. You learn all foundational elements and then grow from there

fauxreal

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 2:49 pm
walmart wrote:

Yes sure. I don’t go for that style either.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 2:55 pm
walmart wrote:

As a copywriter this is my #1 issue with copyrtribe-everyone sounds the same! I work a more corporate setting and that style totally doesn't work here

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 3:02 pm
I'm in an unrelated business that I have thought of leaving for some time.

What is a realistic income to reach, after expenses, if you start your own copywriting business? Working, say, 20 hours per week?

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 3:13 pm
amother Natural wrote:
As a copywriter this is my #1 issue with copyrtribe-everyone sounds the same! I work a more corporate setting and that style totally doesn't work here

Oh my goodness thank you. I feel so bad but I literally had to stop going on linkdin because of this, all the copytribe writers sound the same, write the same, give off the same vibe, at this point its such a turn off I'm not interested in ANYTHING written in that style.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 3:49 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
Oh my goodness thank you. I feel so bad but I literally had to stop going on linkdin because of this, all the copytribe writers sound the same, write the same, give off the same vibe, at this point its such a turn off I'm not interested in ANYTHING written in that style.

I took copytribe and I agree with you.

I think that style is childish.

Copywriting is a huge field you absolutely don't have to write in that style. Take for example if you write a website for a clinic, you would use a much more professional tone.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 3:51 pm
I also think she didn't emphasize enough how hard it's to open your own business.

There is a lot of competition and it's hard to stand out.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 4:20 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
I also think she didn't emphasize enough how hard it's to open your own business.

There is a lot of competition and it's hard to stand out.

Its hard to own your own business in any type of market. It's a lot to run it and get it off the ground and get clients and contracts etc.

I wouldn't have taken the course in retrospect. I don't fully regret it, it gave me better direction in what I want in life, plus I was the first year so it wasn't so expensive.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 4:25 pm
amother Dill wrote:
Its hard to own your own business in any type of market. It's a lot to run it and get it off the ground and get clients and contracts etc.

Correct, but as someone who had no experience in business, I found she made it sound easier than it is.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 5:00 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
Correct, but as someone who had no experience in business, I found she made it sound easier than it is.

I agree.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club