Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Parenting course for complicated kids
Previous  1  2

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:43 am
With the right combination of medication my complicated child and I are in a really good place, and no I didn't have to send him away. Its been a journey though. I took courses but none of them did what medication has done.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:45 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm looking for high level skills. This doesn't sound like it.

I need skills for a teen who is having a meltdown, anxiety attack, and I need to de-escalate it so that I don't need to have them go inpatient or lose my mind. I need to be able to keep my calm but also be able to make sure they aren't getting out of control.

For sure, & you'll find what makes sense for you. I'll just add one more comment to reply to what you wrote, but hatzlacha finding what's right for you & your family.

So I'd just add that I'd recommend this, especially so for anyone dealing with any level of diagnosis or behavior, (as in, how much more so).

While it can help anyone with less intense circumstances, I know first hand from being involved for many years, ie attending conferences & webinars, getting to know some of the educators & my own journey as a parent, that it's been especially beneficial for people - not necessarily on it's own like as a panacea, it could serve as a complement to techniques, although for some its serves as a stand alone it's that helpful - but it can be especially pivotal when dealing with anything from ocd to schizophrenia, to addiction & anxiety.

So if someone is seeking techniques, then by all means they should find what will help, but I'd always suggest this as well. In my own life personally and as a parent, if I had to pick one over the other, this would trump even the best techniques.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:51 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
It sounds like you really need professional, individual guidance more than a parenting course. You don't necessarily need your child's compliance, you can work independently of your child.

I am getting one on one advice from someone but I want someone to model for me de-escalation techniques and for boundaries.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:58 am
amother RosePink wrote:
With the right combination of medication my complicated child and I are in a really good place, and no I didn't have to send him away. Its been a journey though. I took courses but none of them did what medication has done.

Hopefully we will get there soon too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics