Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Toddler Twins Help!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 4:32 pm
I am so so so blessed to have active, healthy & curious twin boys, and so blessed to have another toddler above them, plus a few more children above that one.

I am so so so blessed that my husband is totally on board with sending the twins to playgroup so I can tend to my family's needs during the day, and my needs above all, even though money is tight.

BUT, it's incredibly challenging once the 3 toddlers are home, until the older children come home. They want to peel & cut vegetables, like to empty the garbage can, get a kick out of popping snack bags and spilling the contents over the floor.

As long as the weather was nice, we spent a lot of time outdoors (until someone decided to keep on trying to run into the street...) but now with winter setting in I'm at a loss. I don't enjoy sitting and playing with kids, though I might have to work on that. I really don't like the idea of putting a gate to my kitchen if I'm there.

Open to all suggestions!

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 4:39 pm
If they are in playgroup, you might need to maximize that time to accomplish all you need to do and play with them when they are home.
Might it be easier for you if you organize a schedule like a morah (there are 3 of them) with story time, an art project, and train time?

Maybe you have have them help you match socks, but I won’t count on accomplishing anything during that time.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 4:40 pm
No advice but I got twin toddlers and it's a lot!!!!

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 4:44 pm
The joys and the oys!
I had twins with a bunch of kids right over them, so I know the feeling well, bh.
I used to take them to a nearby nature center,
I created one room to be “safe”.
I cried a lot. My husband made dinner most of the time.
I stopped dividing laundry, and just dumped everything in all together.
I sat on the floor a lot without playing, just being there- making sure they’re not killing each other and the younger twins.
I hire a teenager who was trying to save for college yo vine over 3 nights a week who helped with homework, baths, or supper. When all three were under control, she folded laundry.

I took walks in the freezing weather sometimes.
It did us very well.
I cried a lot!
Did I say I was super overwhelmed? The fog is real!
Good luck

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 5:35 pm
OMG! I remember those days but @ this point with nostalgia!

The garbage can belongs on the counter, the chairs turned over on the table only to be taken off as needed and put right back and the fridge/freezer doesn't get opened when they're around or you'll have 2 pairs of hands grabbing stuff....

Hatzlacha!!!

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 7:18 pm
I also have twin toddler boys and it’s the most incredible experience. I do send them to playgroup, and from when they come home until they go to sleep I do nothing but entertain. They cannot be left alone for a second! Toddler twins is not like two random toddlers together and it’s not like two toddler siblings close in age. It’s a mini demolition team. I prepare dinner and prepare everything I’ll need for their time home while their out. The pajamas for after their baths, I fill their bottles for before they go to sleep and stick in the fridge so it’s like grab n go, dinner for them and everyone else (have six kids on top of them…) etc. And I know, it’s crazy!

English3

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 7:53 pm
I make sure my downstairs is really safe and let them roam around. My stairs are locked, chairs turned over and cupboards locked. There are toys floating around and I constantly encourage them to play. I usually sit on the couch and watch them or read.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:00 pm
Twin toddlers here as well. I found that when I let go of my expectations, my life changed so much. My goal is no longer to accomplish anything while they are awake. I usually just sit with them and either watch them play or play with them. Dinner is simple, laundry is always in a backlog, etc. But now I’m not upset at them when I’m trying to cook and they come busting in.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:16 pm
Try making for them a busy box: they would each have their own with unique toys and activities that were geared towards them that they could play with when they get home. Each week swap out or add an item or two to keep it exciting. Put it away after a little while so they get excited for the opportunity to play with it.

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:21 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Try making for them a busy box: they would each have their own with unique toys and activities that were geared towards them that they could play with when they get home. Each week swap out or add an item or two to keep it exciting. Put it away after a little while so they get excited for the opportunity to play with it.

Not Op but my toddler twins (18 months) each have an attention span of max ten minutes. I could see this idea working for a four year old tho. That’s part of the challenge. Keeping them happy and busy without doing any permanent damage…

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 11:58 am
amother Maize wrote:
The joys and the oys!
I had twins with a bunch of kids right over them, so I know the feeling well, bh.
I used to take them to a nearby nature center,
I created one room to be “safe”.
I cried a lot. My husband made dinner most of the time.
I stopped dividing laundry, and just dumped everything in all together.
I sat on the floor a lot without playing, just being there- making sure they’re not killing each other and the younger twins.
I hire a teenager who was trying to save for college yo vine over 3 nights a week who helped with homework, baths, or supper. When all three were under control, she folded laundry.

I took walks in the freezing weather sometimes.
It did us very well.
I cried a lot!
Did I say I was super overwhelmed? The fog is real!
Good luck

I would love to hear more about the safe room.
Did you have 2 sets of twins?????

BH I feel like I have most of day under control. It's the two hours from after playgroup until the older kids come home that I feel like a turn my back for minute and turn back to a tornado!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 12:02 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
I also have twin toddler boys and it’s the most incredible experience. I do send them to playgroup, and from when they come home until they go to sleep I do nothing but entertain. They cannot be left alone for a second! Toddler twins is not like two random toddlers together and it’s not like two toddler siblings close in age. It’s a mini demolition team. I prepare dinner and prepare everything I’ll need for their time home while their out. The pajamas for after their baths, I fill their bottles for before they go to sleep and stick in the fridge so it’s like grab n go, dinner for them and everyone else (have six kids on top of them…) etc. And I know, it’s crazy!

I have both BH! And the sibling above the twins is a very helpful and willing partner to the mischief!

You're my hero! I try to stay one step ahead with bedtime, but what you're describing is next level organization. Something to work on. If you have any other tips, please share!

What about breakfast time? Do you wake up before your kids? Do you prepare breakfast the day before or serve instant breakfast?

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 3:28 pm
My toddler twins are now teens but my favorite memory is them teaming up to open their door when they were only tall enough for their fingers to reach the bottom of the knob.

We got a hook and eye on the out side of the room.

A relative got a deadbolt for her front door when she found her not yet two twins down the block. She originally kept the key high up on a hook but they knocked it off with a broom....she didn't think they could use it but wasn't taking chances...so she put it higher and she could only reach it with a chair.
I asked if she was concerned about fire and she responded that her more pressing concern was cars in the street.

....not sure if this is a psa or advice

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 11:53 pm
my twins are 15 and this thread brings back MEMORIES!

When I finally realized I could (SOMETIMES) move a load of laundry when my kids were home and awake, or take a shower, or even *gasp* make a phone call... it was like a whole new layer of parenthood! Having said that, my kids have special needs so each kid has multiple appointments and that keeps me hopping.

At that age, I had kid-ville gated off----- a zillion toys and board books in the living room. I could leave the room to go to the bathroom or to get something and be pretty certain they were safe but when they were home, if they weren't sleeping, we were in that room. I mostly read to them, did finger painting and coloring with them (color wonder- no mess), stickers, played music, etc. I didn't expect to get any housework or cooking done if they were home and awake. If they were both engrossed in something I could sometimes read something but mostly I was the cruise director--- ok, let's clean up the color wonder and get out the play doh now..... etc.

But soon enough, you'll be alone in the shower with nobody screaming and wonder where the time went!

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 10:47 am
I so get it!! My twins are 2 years old and from the time they walk in the house at 2:15 I can not take my eyes off of them for a second. They gang up and make trouble all the time. If it gets quiet for just 1 minute I know I'm in trouble and they're onto something. No advice, just hugs!

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 10:52 am
My issue with a kid friendly area, which I have, is that if they’re confined just the two of them, for more than a few minutes, they fight. And bite. And pull hair. It’s brutal. There’s no way around their need constant supervision. It’s a very intense high Maintnence situation. And so so adorable! I love it and feel so privileged to have this opportunity but man it’s rough…

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 10:59 am
Wow I always dream of having twins, cuz pregnancy is so so difficult, and I would love 2 for the price of 1...but now you guys are making me rethink it!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 11:16 am
amother Salmon wrote:
Wow I always dream of having twins, cuz pregnancy is so so difficult, and I would love 2 for the price of 1...but now you guys are making me rethink it!

I don't know what other people's twin pregnancies were like, but I wouldn't describe mine as 2 for the price of 1. It was way harder than my other pregnancies. I could barely move from 30 weeks, turning over in bed was something I thought twice before doing, more pelvic pain, etc.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 11:36 am
amother OP wrote:
I don't know what other people's twin pregnancies were like, but I wouldn't describe mine as 2 for the price of 1. It was way harder than my other pregnancies. I could barely move from 30 weeks, turning over in bed was something I thought twice before doing, more pelvic pain, etc.

I know I know, I always hear that but the most difficult part of pregnancy for me is the nausea, it literally destroys my life. I don't think its possible to be double as nauseous. Who knows though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more