Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
I got this meat in the lunch box

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:12 pm
Pickled First cut brisket corned beef

What exactly is it? How do I prepare it (probably for yom tov?)

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:41 am
Got the same one. It's poor quality meat, and very tough. Maybe prepare it for a weekday supper and put in sandwiches with alot of sauce. DON'T use for yomtov!

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:43 am
I cooked mine like a corn beef and it was delicious.
I think I covered in water in a pan and baked covered tightly for 3.5 hrs. I froze sliced and will serve with a sweet sauce.

We prefer first cut bec less fat

ladYdI

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:06 am
Since it has little fat it needs to be cooked low and slow. Salt pepper onion garlic (fresh frozen or powder) and a cup of wine or orange juice. I stick in at 300 before I go to bed and my husband turns it off when he wakes up. Around 5-6 hours.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:20 am
It's a first cut corned beef. Cover it in water and simmer it for hours until it gets soft. Then pull it out and prepare a glaze for it.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:31 am
[quote="amother [ Indigo ]"]Got the same one. It's poor quality meat, and very tough. Maybe prepare it for a weekday supper and put in sandwiches with alot of sauce. DON'T use for yomtov![/quote

Not at all! It’s cooked like a corn beef. I’ve bought this in the past and in came out great. Family loves it

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Actually first cut is more expensive than most other cuts. It is desirable and delicious to those who like lean deli.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It will be delicious. Cook with water 3/4 up until tender (I like to undercook a bit as I'll be rewarming slices on YT.) Cool in refrigerator overnight. Slice while cold. Rewarm in cooking liquid. Hot corned beef, yum!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 9:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Its a corned beef. Top quality (although we actually prefer second cut).

Cover it in water and boil for 3 hours. If you have an instant pot or other pressure cooker, you can put it in there for 90 minutes (I usually need to cut it in half and put half on a trivet). Be sure to natural pressure release. It will be very very very tender.

Then prepare a glaze. I use 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup brown mustard, reduced. Glaze in oven at 325 for 30 minutes, flipping over every 10 minutes.

Chag sameach. Enjoy a piece for me.

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 11:49 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
I cooked mine like a corn beef and it was delicious.
I think I covered in water in a pan and baked covered tightly for 3.5 hrs. I froze sliced and will serve with a sweet sauce.

We prefer first cut bec less fat

I made mine the same way.

I baked in oven with water for 3 1/2 hrs on 300. It was delicious.

I served some plain and added sweet sauce to rest and baked for 1/2 hr.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 2:06 pm
You can also cook it in a crock pot for several hours. Keep poking it with a fork until it starts to fall apart.

theotherone1

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 11:46 pm
What kind of sauce/glaze can we use that is not sweet? Family won't eat brown sugar, honey or anything of the like.

momof2+?

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:47 pm
UPDATE:
So I baked it in water in the oven on 300degrees for 3 hrs.
It was yummy, but in no way shape or form, soft. (I also prob should have cut the slices a little thinner.)

SO
I have another one. 2 more, I think. Should I change something about how I made it? If I would have cooked it longer and lower would it have been softer?

Hey I just had an idea to try “pulling” it with a sauce ( sautéed onions, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce?)
Is there such a thing as pulled corned beef? 😏

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:35 pm
momof2+? wrote:
UPDATE:
So I baked it in water in the oven on 300degrees for 3 hrs.
It was yummy, but in no way shape or form, soft. (I also prob should have cut the slices a little thinner.)

SO
I have another one. 2 more, I think. Should I change something about how I made it? If I would have cooked it longer and lower would it have been softer?

Hey I just had an idea to try “pulling” it with a sauce ( sautéed onions, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce?)
Is there such a thing as pulled corned beef? 😏

It needs 4 hours at 300. But I bake for 3 hours to get nice slices, and slices continue to soften when I put on the blech in the cooking liquid on YT to warm up. You can definitely bake for 4 hours next time.

For another one, after baking/slicing you can stick the slices in the oven for 30 minutes covered in a sweet sauce.

You can also shred it over flatbread with caramelized onion and some sweet sauce and some spicy sauce.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

momof2+?

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It needs 4 hours at 300. But I bake for 3 hours to get nice slices, and they continue to soften when I put them on the blech in its cooking liquid on YT to warm up. You can definitely bake for 4 hours next time.

For another one, after baking/slicing you can stick the slices in the oven for 30 minutes covered in a sweet sauce.

You can also shred it over flatbread with caramelized onion and some sweet sauce and some spicy sauce.

Thank you! Sounds delicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics