Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent question #2

cindy324

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 8:30 am
Speaking of cholent, I hear a lot of ppl just dump everything in the crockpot, and that's where it cooks until shabbos day. I precook it and then transfer it to the crockpot, because I thought the cholent has to be like 1/3 cooked by the time shabbos begins. Am I wasting my time precooking it, how long before shabbos do I put everything in the crockpot RAW, so that it cooks partially by shabbos? Also would you at least saute the onions and the meat before you add it to the crockpot?

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 8:36 am
I think it's supposed to be half cooked before shabbat.

I place mine on low in the crockpot friday morning before I leave for work.

you could sautee the meat and onions, but I don't think it's necessary. as long as it cooks thoroughly it will be fine. actually if you like sauteed onions, maybe do them, but I don't think it will make a difference for the meat.

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 10:17 am
Another question how do u serve it? I have been serving this dishe individually but w/h our crowd I'm really tempted to put the pot a nice one though on the table and let everyone over 10 serve themselves any ideas and how off will it look 8)

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 10:38 am
freilich if you have a large crowd, you can fill a couple of nice bowls with cholent evenly around the table and people can self serve. 10 people and one pot is a little too much, but 2 or three bowls would be fine and it can look nice, too.

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 11:06 am
So what type of bowls casserole u think would work Confused

Meema2Kids

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 11:32 am
I cook my cholent on the stove then sometimes transfer to crockpot, because I think it tastes better than cooked in the crockpot.

girliesmommy

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 12:04 pm
Cholent either has to be a certain percent cooked before shabbos (not sure, but I think 2/3) OR it can be completely raw when Shabbos begins. I never knew this before, but since I learned this, it makes life so much easier. I just add everything to the crock pot right before I bentch licht and leave it on low to cook. It comes out perfect.

Also, I use a soup tureen to serve cholent and it looks beautiful on the table.

mommy2

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 12:22 pm
freilich, just dont do what I did 2 weeks ago, I put my chlent in a nice glass bowl and the bowl cracked from the heat and the cholent exploded!! Sad

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 6:31 pm
I use a serving bowl for serving.
As for partially cooked cholent, I think that's only if there's no blech/silverfoil. I think. I'll have to double check.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 6:36 pm
From "The Shabbos Kitchen":

When maintaining uncooked food inside an oven or on an electric appliance (e.g. crockpot, hot plate), one is obligated to cover the source of heat, to indicate he is no longer concerning with raising the temperature.

Crockpots: with adjustable crockpots, one must line the entire heating element with aluminum foil. The knob should, preferably, also be covered.
Uncooked food which is not edible at the onset of Shabbos may not be maintained on a flame unless a blech is used. If the food has been partially cooked, reaching a minimal degree of edibility before Shabbos, one is not obligated to use a blech.
some poskim rule that food is considered edible when 1/3 cooked.....others rule that only 1/2 cooked foods is considered edible and a blech is required unless the food is 1/2 cooked before Shabbos....
It is proper, however, to use a blech at all times, and to make sure that all food is fully cooked before Shabbos.
(PS just keep in mind you can't return to the pot/blech unless it's fully cooked....so dont' taste the cholent friday night if it's not completely done!!)

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 9:55 pm
I wouldn't use glass, but you can get those hard plastic clear fancy bowls that look like glass. catering places use them for cholent at a kiddush, if you know what I'm talking about. or any stoneware bowl I'm sure would be fine.

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 11:52 am
I put my crockpot on high (5 or 6) fri. morn or midday. I sautee the onions in there, then add the meat. about an hour later I add the potatoes and beans. keep it on high for another few hours. then turn it on low (between 2 and 3 on my pot) for the rest of the time.

we use a "blech" even though the food is fully cooked.

freilich, I serve mine in a china-type serving bowl. it's very pretty. I have this medium sized- one that I can fill up that'll seve about 6 people. if I have more company, then I'll refill it. I also have a HUGE bowl that I never use- you want it?

StayHomeMom

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 7:40 pm
cindy324 wrote:
Speaking of cholent, I hear a lot of ppl just dump everything in the crockpot, and that's where it cooks until shabbos day. I precook it and then transfer it to the crockpot, because I thought the cholent has to be like 1/3 cooked by the time shabbos begins. Am I wasting my time precooking it, how long before shabbos do I put everything in the crockpot RAW, so that it cooks partially by shabbos? Also would you at least saute the onions and the meat before you add it to the crockpot?

If Im not mistaken the meat has to be cooked.
I personally sorte the onions with meat and duck sause then add the rest and then when its cooked more or less I transfer it to the crockpot.

Tefila

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 7:49 pm
Quote:
also have a HUGE bowl that I never use- you want it?

Whats your price Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus