Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Life when guests come

Frumom

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 10:16 pm
I'm very into scheduling and having everything a certain way, routine I guess.
This week my grandparents, parents and relatives are coming for a visit. I know it's normal for things to be off schedule, naps bedtimes etc for the kids. Is it ok to just step back and just go with the flow or should I try to keep to our normal schedule? I dont want to drive myself crazy and I want to enjoy the company, but I dont want cranky kids and all that.
Tips anyone?

shopaholic

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 10:13 am
I am also very organized & structured (not fanatical, but bedtimes are the same time every night etc). I love having guests too. I just relax a bit, & say it doens't matter if things are a bit off schedule for those few days. Still, you can always stick to bedtimes. The guests, even relatives, will understand that a child needs a decent bedtime, especially on school nights.

louche

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 11:54 pm
Go with the flow. A schedule is meant to help you manage your life, it's not supposed to manage YOU. I would try to keep the kids to close to their regular bedtime but don't be fanatic about it. If they're enjoying being with their grandparents, so what if they go to bed 1/2 hour later? OTOH keeping them up till midnight would be unfair and unwise, no matter how good a time they're having..

JewishMother18

Post Sat, Nov 24 2007, 11:48 am
I used to get very antsy when family came to visit us in Israel but over the years I've learned to go with the flow.

If you have school-age kids they need to keep with the routine as they still have to get up in the morning. I've had a few run-ins with various members of DH's family over the years but at the end of the day your immediate family and it's contentment is the most important thing - if you don't keep to the routine, when everyone leaves you're left to pick up the pieces.

good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics