Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Making bread crumbs from leftover challah

amother

Post Wed, Nov 14 2007, 11:05 pm
I know this will sound really dumb but how do I go about making bread crumbs from leftover challah? Should I put it into the blender or the food processor and what type of blade do I use?

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 14 2007, 11:10 pm
you might want to dry it out a bit ... put yes put it in a food processor ... and voila ... bread crumbs ...

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 12:18 am
I make sure the bread's been sitting unwrapped for at least 4 days to completely dry it out.

Then I take my 'knuckle buster' hand grater and make breadcrumbs.

mumoo

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 12:56 am
will you need to wash over food made with these crumbs?

mommyX2

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 1:02 am
I'm not positive but I think so sinc eit wasnt' orig baked withthe intent of making it into breadcrumbs (it was orig prepared as challah) good point, I plan on using this idea and prob wouldn't have realized I needed to wash thanks!

mumoo

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 1:09 am
according to the psak I received on pita chips, it is the intent. store bought bread crumbs or pita chips are specifically manufactured to be these things. if you take ready made pitas and bake them into chips, you'd need to wash

grin

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 1:42 am
I would assume that you don't intend on eating the breadcrumbs without cooking/baking them first!
As far as I know, you wash (without a bracha) on even a crumb; however if the crumbs were afterwards soaked and mixed up so it doesn't look like bread anymore, and in additon was rebaked/cooked, then it's mezonot.
But, as always, ask your LOR.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 1:47 am
Well do you make Hamotzie on matzahballs?

No, you make a Mezonot.

Quote:
The Halacha is that if any food has one of the five grains in it, its bracha is Mezonos. Therefore says the Mishna Brura (205:11) if you have stew with noodles the bracha is mezonos and the water or sauce does not need a bracha. However says the Mishna Brura in the rare case that there is only a minimal amount of mezonos and you are cooking it only for the water than you make both a mezonos on the noodles and Shehakol on the stew.

In the case of chicken soup with matza ball, croutons, or noodles says the Piskei Tshuvos the Halacha is a bit different. The Mishna Brura is talking about a case where you cook the mezonos together with the stew however with chicken soup you add the croutons or matza ball after the soup has already been cooked. Therefore if you have in mind that you want both the soup and the mezonos unless the mezonos is the overwhelming majority you should make a shehakol on the soup since it is not batel to the mezonos.

mumoo

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 2:16 am
Kmelion wrote:

if they are boiled, and each particle is smaller than a kzayis, it loses its bread status and becomes a mezonos. whether it appears to look like bread is irrelevant here because the individual pieces are neither cooked or stuck together. Matzo brie, otoh, is fried. you'd need to wash on bread before eating that.

whether bread appears to look like bread is relevant only if the pieces are smaller than a kzayis.

A kzayis of bread remains bread regardless if it is boiled or fried

Last edited by mumoo on Thu, Nov 15 2007, 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total

grin

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 2:20 am
mumoo wrote:
Kmelion wrote:

if you ground up matzos yourself to make them, you should

if you used matzo meal from a box, that was from matzos specifically made in order to be matzo meal, you'd make a mezonos

source?

mumoo

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 2:35 am
rg wrote:
mumoo wrote:
Kmelion wrote:

if you ground up matzos yourself to make them, you should

if you used matzo meal from a box, that was from matzos specifically made in order to be matzo meal, you'd make a mezonos

source?

sorry, it's late, I edited the above: Rabbi Binyomin Forst

Esther23

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 8:15 am
why would you have to wash? I use breadcrumbs mixed into ground beef mixtures or to coat chicken cutlets, how can you wash on those? The crumbs are so toffel (not the ikar) on those foods. Anyone use crumbs for other purposes?

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 8:54 am
Esther23 wrote:
why would you have to wash? I use breadcrumbs mixed into ground beef mixtures or to coat chicken cutlets, how can you wash on those? The crumbs are so toffel (not the ikar) on those foods. Anyone use crumbs for other purposes?

only for the birds Wink otherwise I am with you they are nullified in the item cooked ...

grin

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 9:21 am
you're right - usually, the breadcrumbs or matza meal are tafel. But what about matza balls or matza brie, for that matter?
I even have a recipe for breadcrumb cake, where it's definitley the ikar.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 10:30 am
You have to wash for my croutons, because they're baked, but if I sauteed them instead, you wouldn't have to.

mumoo

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 11:46 am
chocolate moose wrote:
You have to wash for my croutons, because they're baked, but if I sauteed them instead, you wouldn't have to.

you have to wash for croutons (that you made from original bread) because they are larger than a kazayis OR because if smaller they are not boiled

if the bread piece is bigger than a kazayis (so not crumbs, obviously) it remains a hamotzie

if it is smaller and boiled (or deep fried), it loses bread status and becomes mezonos
if it is smaller and pan fried (and maintains the appearance of bread like croutons), you should eat it at a meal you've washed for

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 6:18 pm
rg wrote:

I even have a recipe for breadcrumb cake, where it's definitley the ikar.

well there is a certain amount of even cake that one must wash for if eaten ...

louche

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 10:49 pm
Kmelion wrote:
I make sure the bread's been sitting unwrapped for at least 4 days to completely dry it out.

Then I take my 'knuckle buster' hand grater and make breadcrumbs.

Me, too! It's faster than using the blender since you don't have to cut the bread into cubes and process a bitty bit at a time. Quieter, too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads