Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you own a microwave?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you own a microwave?
yes, of course. how can anyone manage without one?  
 31%  [ 62 ]
yes, but only to warm up a few things here and there.  
 39%  [ 77 ]
no way.  
 21%  [ 41 ]
other (not sure what that could be, but here is that option :) )  
 7%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 195

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:20 am
JustMeMyself wrote:
ah, okay I didn't know that
Its ok. Smile
Im sure different rabbanim/different hashkafot say things / do things differently.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:30 am
Dh uses ours to make his hot cereal every morning.

I sometimes use it to steam veg, I have a funky microwave steamer that gives much better results than my real one. I don't cook in it otherwise, and don't enjoy heating things up, prefer using the oven as it gives a nicer result.

But on a day when I haven't got half an hour to reheat a meal, sure I will use it. I don't have a toaster oven, so it takes time for my proper oven to warm and is heavy on the electricity bill.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:41 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

If I need to warm of pita or something? I put it into the oven and in a few minutes it is done.
I love warming things up on teh stove.
I dont like how bread tastes after it was warmed in teh microwave.

A few weeks ago I took pita out of the freezer to serve, but since obviously it was frozen, I had to defrost it. I was serving fleishig, which my microwave is and since, like you, I don't like how bread tastes from the microwave and my oven takes too long to warm up, I made it directly on the fire, the stove. The longer it's left there, the more black it gets, but I like it like that. I have a toaster oven, but that's milichig.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 7:17 am
My milchig microwave just stopped working, this was an ayin hara Smile

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 7:24 am
I have two microwaves. I like the convenience of tossing out the plastic the food is cooked in. I can plate my husband's food when he is running late and he can heat it when he is ready. I can clean up my kitchen meanwhile.

I actually think freshly cooked food does better in the microwave than leaving it in the warmer for a few hours.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 7:26 am
Squishy wrote:
I have two microwaves. I like the convenience of tossing out the plastic the food is cooked in. I can plate my husband's food when he is running late and he can heat it when he is ready. I can clean up my kitchen meanwhile.

I actually think freshly cooked food does better in the microwave than leaving it in the warmer for a few hours.
Whats a warmer? And who is leaving it in anything for hours? When I warm up supper, it is on the stove for maybe 10 - 15 minutes, thats all.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 7:34 am
We have two.

I often cook in the morning and reheat for dinner. It's a lifesaver.

How do you reheat rice? If it's dry rice, doesn't it burn if you put it back on the stove?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 7:36 am
saw50st8 wrote:
We have two.

I often cook in the morning and reheat for dinner. It's a lifesaver.

How do you reheat rice? If it's dry rice, doesn't it burn if you put it back on the stove?
Rice? You add a bit of water to the bottom.
I add a bit of water to chicken, pasta, couscous, meat, almost anything. Then it does not burn. And the water either evaporates or I spill it out afterward.

freidasima

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 9:07 am
What she wrote.
That's how I heat up as well, a bit of water in a pot and voila.
As for microwaving in plastic you do realize that plastic has all sorts of things such as erzatz estrogenic compounds in it and by heating up food in plastic you are transferring those compounds to your food and eating it.
Basically it's like taking a small estrogen pill every day. Is that what you want to give your kids? At least microwave in glass...

ora_43

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 9:10 am
Yes, I do. Microwaves are awesome.

It's possible to heat food on the stove, but it takes longer and you have to be more active in making sure it doesn't burn. It helps a lot during hectic times of day to be able to shove something in, punch a button, and come back a few minutes later to get it (bonus - no pots or pans to clean).

Studies show that microwaved food is overall no less healthy than stove-heated food.

I used to think there was no need for a microwave, but now that I have one, I'd definitely replace it if it broke.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 9:30 am
We use microwaves here primarily for reheating. I find it very useful for reheating DH's dinner when he's running late. I plate his dinner right after it's cooked and leave it in the microwave until he gets home.

I've been reheating yams for my elderly mother who won't eat most foods — I try to keep a few already cooked yams in the fridge for her. My experiments in actually cooking yams in the microwave have so far not been successful in getting the texture right.

I've been refrigerating leftover pasta and wonderful DDIL has been using our new milchik microwave for melting American cheese into it for the grandkids. It's faster and less messy than reheating on the stove.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 9:33 am
We have one and use it to quickly defrost bread (that's done often), for microwave popcorn (which we have very rarely) and for instant oatmeal (rarely, too).

devash1

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 9:40 am
we have two which we use everyday to warm food up. We don't cook with it. Come Pesach we don't have one, and we find it quite challenging, but I can't justify buying one for one week and then try and find the space to store it.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 9:50 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
We have one and use it to quickly defrost bread (that's done often), for microwave popcorn (which we have very rarely) and for instant oatmeal (rarely, too).

I've been making popcorn in the microwave lately. I put the kernels in a bag or microwave containter for 3 minutes.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 9:54 am
yo'ma wrote:
I've been making popcorn in the microwave lately. I put the kernels in a bag or microwave containter for 3 minutes.

You mean the kernels, not the packaged microwave popcorn? Do you put butter or oil in it too?

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:35 am
ours is indispensabl, and we have 2. We use a lot of frozen bread so its great for that. Also reheating food, although often its just as easy to reheat on the stovetop. I use my meat one to defrost chicken for last minute shabbos guests.

pita comes out soft and puffy and delicious in a bread toaster btw. Try it!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:47 am
Yes. BH.

Btw if both parents work, it's often microwave or at best oven every night during the week.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:48 am
Ruchel wrote:
Yes. BH.

Btw if both parents work, it's often microwave or at best oven every night during the week.

What's wrong with using an oven?

skirtznsox

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:51 am
I grew up with one, and DH didn't and hates them, won't let me even warm up his food. So we lived without one for a while but it drives me nuts not to have it as an option. Sometimes, you just want to not wait for the toaster oven/oven to heat up! Also, less dishes with a microwave. So now, I have one, but I only use it for my food, and rarely but occasionally DC's food, and even more rarely DH's food, and occasionally, hot packs or foot warmers (wrapped, of course!)

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 11:35 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
You mean the kernels, not the packaged microwave popcorn?

yes
Lady Godiva wrote:
Do you put butter or oil in it too?

no
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics