Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Segulah to have children or anything you pray for
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 8:35 am
New poster here. I would like to try this in the hope's that in the zchus of R' Eliezer Diabila we should merit a yeshua. Can you phonetically describe how to pronounce the name Diabila to ensure I pronounce it correctly?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 9:37 am
As I suspected it is DI AVILA.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 12:09 pm
DrMom wrote:
I am happy that you were able to conceive.

But I believe what you are advocating is avodah zara.

And I'm not afraid to say so under my own username.

Honey, the only reason why I'm posting anonymously is because no one has to know who I am, that I suffered from infertility for Years and did treatments. For giving personal info I don't have to post my name.

No this is not practicing avoda Zara!!! It's a segulah, that a big tzadik in Israel told us personally to do . We are lighting and praying to HaShem. Saying b"zchus harav or l"iluy nishmas him is nothing bad. We are praying to HaShem and askin him to remember this holy tzadik ( just like we pray for zchus Avis) Let the rabbis merit stand on our behalf.

Your telling me that lighting for Meir baaal Hanes and asking HaShem for things , is avodah zAra then you have a problem.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 1:59 pm
Who was R' Eliezer Diabila?

Why dafka him?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
Honey, the only reason why I'm posting anonymously is because no one has to know who I am, that I suffered from infertility for Years and did treatments. For giving personal info I don't have to post my name.

No this is not practicing avoda Zara!!! It's a segulah, that a big tzadik in Israel told us personally to do . We are lighting and praying to HaShem. Saying b"zchus harav or l"iluy nishmas him is nothing bad. We are praying to HaShem and askin him to remember this holy tzadik ( just like we pray for zchus Avis) Let the rabbis merit stand on our behalf.

Your telling me that lighting for Meir baaal Hanes and asking HaShem for things , is avodah zAra then you have a problem.
Im going to post under my screen name here. I am sorry to you OP, I have gone through and am going through IF. I know the suffering and trouble etc. But I have to agree with DrMom on this. Then again, not everyone has to agree about these things, but to me some segulot that I hear about sound very much like voodoo and other ritualistic things that dont sound jewish to me.
But again, this is an opinion.

etky

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 2:18 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
As long as you realize that you're talking to God, the power is His, and He is running the show from beginning to end.

That's exactly what we have in mind when we pray to Hashem to fulfill our desires. However, when we follow a fixed 'magic' formula we are in essence trying to control God and solicit an automatic response from Him through the performance of a ritual. That is avoda zara.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 4:22 pm
Please original op what type of olive oil did you use. As I asked where did u buy this oil brand? In the Brooklyn area. I am beyond desperate

Factory Girl

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 6:27 pm
Quote:
v"lo lifasfes 40 days ( and not to forget to do it for the 40 days )

I am saying this wording exactly in the end?, the Hebrew mix with the English?,??

marina

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 7:25 pm
Who is rabbi eliezer Diabila?

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 7:51 pm
Is this a joke? Or a prank?

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 7:52 pm
2 possibilities, but google doesn't help with a segula...

http://www.jewishencyclopedia......el-de

http://www.mytzadik.com/index......Abila

Abila, or Avila, is a place in Spain where it seems many people were v learned in Talmud. There were Rabbonim in Morocco named so and so di Avila, seemingly quite a common surname.

Maybe some one can help with more information, I am interested, mainly from an intellectual perspective.

(Edited to correct where Avila is, thanks!)

Last edited by Frumdoc on Wed, Jun 18 2014, 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 7:57 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
As long as you realize that you're talking to God, the power is His, and He is running the show from beginning to end.

In which case you shouldn't need the mumbo-jumbo. Just plain sincere humble tefillah should suffice.

It's Rabbi Eliezer de Avila, Avila being a city in Spain and "de Avila" meaning "from/of Avila". pronounced AHveelah.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 8:00 pm
Avila is Morocco? I could have sworn it was in Spain. Accent on the initial A.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 8:01 pm
zaq wrote:
In which case you shouldn't need the mumbo-jumbo. Just plain sincere humble tefillah should suffice.

It's Rabbi Eliezer de Avila, Avila being a city in Spain and "de Avila" meaning "from/of Avila". pronounced AHveelah.

I saw "diabila" and thought "diablo." definitely smacks of avoda zara that way. de Avila sound a lot more kosher...

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 8:01 pm
zaq wrote:

It's pretty standard to daven in the zechut of a great person. And to give tzedaka for an aliyat neshama for that person.

Cookie Monster

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 8:03 pm
imasinger wrote:
Mmmm.

Will it work to bring home those three kidnapped boys, I wonder.

Didnt read the whole thread so pardon me if someone else said this... But I sure hope it takes faster than forty days to get the boys home!

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 8:09 pm
Factory Girl wrote:
Quote:
v"lo lifasfes 40 days ( and not to forget to do it for the 40 days )

I am saying this wording exactly in the end?, the Hebrew mix with the English?,??

I suspect OP is misreading from a sefer without nekudot or much punctuation. The passage makes more sense if read thus:

...yomar "bizchut Rabbi Eliezer de Avila"
viyvakesh whatever whatever, velo yefasfes 40 yom.

IOW, the sefer is instructing you to say "bizchut Rabbi Eliezer de Avila" after which you ask for your heart's desire, which may or may not be ben zachar, and don't forget to do this for 40 days.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 8:10 pm
Cookie Monster wrote:
Didnt read the whole thread so pardon me if someone else said this... But I sure hope it takes faster than forty days to get the boys home!

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN.
Your mouth to G-d's ears.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 8:19 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
It's pretty standard to daven in the zechut of a great person. And to give tzedaka for an aliyat neshama for that person.

Quite. Ask for a yeshua in the zechut of everyone from Avraham Avinu to your saintly departed great-grandmother, why not? What I object to as mumbo-jumbo is the over-ritualization: exactly three coins. exactly the SAME three coins every day. and so on. That smacks of magic, be it black, white or purple with pink spots.

I find it decidedly odd that a nation that prohibits magic, has a horror of idolatry, and won't wear this type or that type of eyeglasses because it's "chukat hagoyim" has such an affinity for, if not the substance of magic, then its form.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 8:22 pm
DrMom wrote:
I am happy that you were able to conceive.

But I believe what you are advocating is avodah zara.

And I'm not afraid to say so under my own username.

Same here.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics