Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Another segulah
1  2  Next

Geulanow

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 3:45 pm
Not sure in which forum to put this. A friend told me that when she was young, that one week her mother was at the doctor every day taking her kids to the doctor for one mishap after another. On the third or fourth day of coming, the doctor told the mother to check her seforim and make sure that none are upside down or backwards and that no sefer is on top of another that shouldn't be, such as a sefer on top of a chumash. Her mother checked and there were some seforim that were not right.

marina

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 5:11 pm
Because our God harms children to punish their parents for not putting away the seforim correctly?

okey doke.

busydev

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 5:14 pm
ive heard of checking seforim for breech babies and I have heard of checking mezuzos for constant mishaps.

interesting...

and I feel like segula is the wrong word. not sure what the right one is tho.

freidasima

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 5:17 pm
narishkeit?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 5:28 pm
A toddler fell out of a 6 story window , lo aleinu and was killed

They asked R Avigdor Miller , what Hashem wants . To be more nizhar in tznius, in shmiras Haloshon

He answered . He wants us to put guards on the windows

zaq

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 5:31 pm
And after the women checked her seforim and presumaby straightened them out, did her kids stop being accident-prone?

The doctor could have told the woman to check if any of her knives were stored improperly and chances are she would indeed have found that some were stored with the blade pointing up or backwards . What does that prove?

I am just sickened by the superstition and magical thinking that passes for frumkeit.

penguin

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 5:56 pm
If your kids are constantly sick, try opening all the windows in the bedrooms every morning to air them out. Also try giving them vitamins & probiotics. Tried and true segulos.

zaq

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 7:42 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

They asked R Avigdor Miller , what Hashem wants . To be more nizhar in tznius, in shmiras Haloshon

Is this true? It sounds like one of those undocumented "gedolim" anecdotes that circulate like counterfeit pennies. I do hope it's true, though.

Religion takes over where common sense leaves off. Common sense has to come first.

forever21

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 7:47 pm
Perhaps she has 12 kids and in that case 3-4 mishaps in a row is normal. Did she go to the ayin hora lady as well? There mustve been something wrong with the way her sefarim were put back. I mean, who ever heard of having 3 diff mishaps with kids in one week??
I guess its easier to put your sefarim back in the right way then having to keep a closer eye on your kids.

amother

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 7:49 pm
R' Avigdor Miller was very into the common sense. My DH who has gone to many of his shiurim saays, that is definitely what he would say

zaq

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
R' Avigdor Miller was very into the common sense. My DH who has gone to many of his shiurim saays, that is definitely what he would say

now that's my kind of rav.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 8:44 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

Unless there was another story of a child who fell out of a 6 story window, this story could not have happened. Rav Avigdor Miller was nifter in 2001 and the child fell last week.

imokay

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 8:51 pm
I wud say that it's not that the upside down sefarim caused the mishaps... Cv, I can't imagine that..... Rather, there r certain kabbalistic matters that can't be explained (and not everyone believes in them) and it cud b that having the sefarim the right way can make the environment more conducive to bracha and mazal..... Or at least thats how I tend to view these things Very Happy

bnm

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 9:05 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
Unless there was another story of a child who fell out of a 6 story window, this story could not have happened. Rav Avigdor Miller was nifter in 2001 and the child fell last week.

this wasn't the first kid who fell out of the window in the past 50 years.

zaq

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 9:11 pm
out-of-towner wrote:

I was thinking the same thing but figured that the boy who died last week was probably not the first victim of this kind of accident. There have been so many tragedies over the years, who can keep track of them all? The exact same floor height does look suspicious, though.

Factual or not, as Chanoch Teller likes to say about his stories, it could have been true, and the moral is the same. Though knowing that a supposedly true story has been "modified" or embellished to enahnce its effect takes something away from it. better a total fiction than a half truth, IMO.

marina

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 1:06 pm
imokay wrote:
I wud say that it's not that the upside down sefarim caused the mishaps... Cv, I can't imagine that..... Rather, there r certain kabbalistic matters that can't be explained (and not everyone believes in them) and it cud b that having the sefarim the right way can make the environment more conducive to bracha and mazal..... Or at least thats how I tend to view these things Very Happy

ok, but this is all fluff. In the end, if you believe Hashem orchestrates everything and is intimately involved in our lives, you can accept this segulah only if you accept that leaving your seforim upside caused Hashem to harm little kids.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 1:49 pm
zaq wrote:
I was thinking the same thing but figured that the boy who died last week was probably not the first victim of this kind of accident. There have been so many tragedies over the years, who can keep track of them all? The exact same floor height does look suspicious, though. I

Factual or not, as Chanoch Teller likes to say about his stories, it could have been true, and the moral is the same. Though knowing that a supposedly true story has been "modified" or embellished to enahnce its effect takes something away from it. better a total fiction than a half truth, IMO.

So shoot me,
I don't remember the exact details
I just remember the punch line

NACHES7

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 2:03 pm
I also heard of the segula....

imokay

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 4:27 pm
marina wrote:
ok, but this is all fluff. In the end, if you believe Hashem orchestrates everything and is intimately involved in our lives, you can accept this segulah only if you accept that leaving your seforim upside caused Hashem to harm little kids.

I disagree. Like any segulah, if you don't do it, doesn't mean something bad will happen. But it is said, that for various reasons, performing them might open the channels of blessing... Think of it like extra credit. But u dont get points off for not doing it....
Just because bracha might be more likely to come if x occurs, does not mean that if x does not occur, for sure misfortune will occur.

zaq

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 5:11 pm
imokay wrote:
I disagree. Like any segulah, if you don't do it, doesn't mean something bad will happen. But it is said, that for various reasons, performing them might open the channels of blessing... Think of it like extra credit. But u dont get points off for not doing it....
Just because bracha might be more likely to come if x occurs, does not mean that if x does not occur, for sure misfortune will occur.

Which is precisely why the OP story is nonsensical. Whether you believe in segulot or not, not performing them would not cause your children to become accident-prone.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics