Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Peach Magazine - Don't force your ideas on everyone else
  1  2  3  31  32  33  Next

amother

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 8:00 pm
I like in Lakewood and was outraged to find a magazine on my doorstep called "peach magazine". It was a glossy, approx. 24 page magazine sprouting the dangers of vaccinating children.

I only read 2 pages before I tossed it in the garbage where it belongs. If you feel that you don't want to vaccinate your child, go right ahead. I'm ok with that. What I am not OK with is publishing a full magazine with horror stories of people who killed their children by allowing them get shots.

My MIL, who is in her 70's, well remembers the classmates of hers who got polio. Some came back to school in metal braces, some never came back. When her children were born she pleaded with the nurses in the hospital to vaccinate her children immediately and not make her wait the required 3 months.

I remember reading that Dr. shanik said he has children in his practice who cannot father children due to getting the measles and being unvaccinated.

Were we better off 75 years ago?

The only way you can get away with not vaccinating your children is because the rest of us do. The 'herd mentality' is protecting you . Why is this garbage appearing on every doorstep? I'm assuming, your ideal situation is that none of tens of thousands of children in Lakewood should be vaccinated. Do we really want measles, mumps and other deadly epidemics to catch on like wildfire?

Keep your opinions to yourself.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 8:05 pm
Why is this under "Parenting our children"? Are you afraid of your children reading this magazine?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 8:15 pm
Why are you so upset? You have every right not to read it and the publisher has every right to publish and distribute it. Free country after all. And btw I'm pro vaccines...

amother

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
Why are you so upset? You have every right not to read it and the publisher has every right to publish and distribute it. Free country after all. And btw I'm pro vaccines...

I'm not OP. But, yes, that would disturb me. I try to protect my family and watch what comes into my house. I buy magazines that I want and don't want any others coming to my door step.

BUT, NO, I don't want my 8 year old scared their next flu shot will kill them!

Maya

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 8:51 pm
The danger with these magazine being published is that they are most often distributed in communities where most of the women have no way of doing their own research and find evidence to the contrary.

It's also the reason why so many quack "healers" are able to do so much business there, why rabbis and community leaders are able to BS their people with anything and everything, and why publications like Ami are dangerous. These women won't just get to a library or on the internet to do more research, and they get blown away by what they automatically see as factual evidence.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 8:53 pm
Maya wrote:
The danger with these magazine being published is that they are most often distributed in communities where most of the women have no way of doing their own research and find evidence to the contrary.

It's also the reason why so many quack "healers" are able to do so much business there, why rabbis and community leaders are able to BS their people with anything and everything, and why publications like Ami are dangerous. These women won't just get to a library or on the internet to do more research, and they get blown away by what they automatically see as factual evidence.
This. All the way.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 9:13 pm
Maya wrote:

I threw it right out. And I 1000% agree with the quoted.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 9:39 pm
I was recently in dr Shaniks office (he is very pro vaccinating) and there was a man going around throwing papers into people's laps in the waiting room. I expected it to be a tzinuius warning based on his appearence. Instead it was an explanation about why you should not vaccinate. At the end it provided two separate numbers for men and women to call for advice. People were going to the secretaries and complaining and they just said to ignore him because he was obviously unwell.
When I was called to the back someone went to the back and complained to Dr Shanik. He got so upset and told the secretaries in the front that if he shows up in the future to just call the police.
It made me really upset. Because obviously the people there chose the dr because they trusted him and to give out papers in his office that go against his beliefs is a real chutzpa.

UQT

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 10:41 pm
I genuinely want to hear from someone who is part of this anti-vaccination why they feel they need the publicity. Is it guilt? Are they trying to convince themselves?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 10:45 pm
UQT wrote:
I genuinely want to hear from someone who is part of this anti-vaccination why they feel they need the publicity. Is it guilt? Are they trying to convince themselves?

I would be very surprised if any of the parties responsible for this publication were on imamother. Perhaps you can get their contact info and call them directly.

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 10:48 pm
Someone clearly has the funds to get this out all over Lakewood. But I hear there are no names owning the writing or publishing. Niice.

I hope that the rabbonim and inevitable op eds in the Voice will reach those inclined to take this as Truth. Because I also agree with Maya. Scary.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 10:58 pm
It's just junk mail, albeit expensive junk mail. Throw it in the recycling bin and be done with it.

There is freedom of the press in the US. I don't see why this is any different from a political flyer or an advertisement for a tznius campaign or an annoying J4J flyer, etc.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 11:06 pm
I am pro vaccine, BUT no one is forcing anything on you. It's junk mail. Turf it.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 11:52 pm
These pple mean well. See what they have to say....

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 12:30 am
Maya wrote:

The Lakewood woman are not from the 1800's. we have a smart phones and Internet and yes we do our own research. I thought the magazine was informative.

One interesting point that I read in the magazine and I am curious to ask my doctor about is that they wrote that every shot comes with a warning and if you don't ask the doctors don't show it to you. In curious if that's true and all the risks of the shot is written in the warning label. Does anyone know if this is true?

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 12:32 am
On the first page there are a list of names of who is in charge of the paper and a Brooklyn address if you want to contact them.

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 12:37 am
Lets all go together!!!

little_mage

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 6:31 am
amother wrote:

One interesting point that I read in the magazine and I am curious to ask my doctor about is that they wrote that every shot comes with a warning and if you don't ask the doctors don't show it to you. In curious if that's true and all the risks of the shot is written in the warning label. Does anyone know if this is true?

Everytime we've given my son a shot the doctor gives us a full page info sheet. I think it's required by law, but I'm in PA, so the laws are probably different.

m in Israel

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 6:48 am
amother wrote:

Of course it's true that all medication comes with information that tells you exactly what it contains, what proper dosaging is, possible allergens and side effects, etc. I wouldn't call it a "warning label", though -- it's an information insert. Sometimes this is printed on the packaging (like with many OTC drugs like Tylenol or Sudafed), and sometimes it is on a separately enclosed sheet. I'm sure your doctor would have no problem giving you the packaging that the shot comes in if you wanted. My doctor in NY used of just tell me orally what to look out for -- here in Israel they sometimes give you a information print-out (especially when it is older kids and they are giving the shot in school so they can't talk to the parents). I'm not sure what that has to do with being pro or anti-vaccines, though. If you want your doctor to give it to you, just ask. IME it is the same with all prescription drugs in the U.S. Some give you an entire attached printout with the drug information, some just give you the little plastic bottle with your label on it. (Here in Israel they are required to give you the whole information sheet, and they recently changed the law and not require it to be printed in 4 languages -- Hebrew, Arabic, English and Russian. I cost the drug companies a lot of money to redo the sheets that didn't include all 4 languages. . . .)

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 7:12 am
They wrote that on the warning label for dtap it saids one of the side effects Is that a kid can become autistic.
Page 1 of 33   1  2  3  31  32  33  Next Recent Topics