Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Beware of these Pre-filled Oil cups!
1  2  Next

shopaholic

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 12:05 pm
I heard about this yesterday on Nachum Segal & read it last night here:

www.chaptzem.blogspot.com

Scroll down to Monday, December 18

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 3:42 pm
That happened to my friend this week as well.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 3:45 pm
Scary, I was thinking of buying those.

Younger Me

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 4:04 pm
we used them, and they actually melted into the menorah! pretty scary, good thing we were home and awake...

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 4:46 pm
OMG! thats scary! Ours look just like those but I didnt have to go run and check, yesterday I dropped the box and like 6 of them shattered, they are glass. Just make sure your arent plastic. Sheesh who came up with that brilliant idea?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 4:48 pm
No kidding? It was a good idea, I guess ......

Younger Me

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 4:53 pm
I guess people are trying to cut corners, plastic must be cheaper than glass...

ny21

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 5:16 pm
Thank you for positing this information.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 5:57 pm
I guess prefilled oil cups that are glass would be too expensive and no one would buy them.
I just bought a package with 8 glass ones, and I fill them up each night. I guess I'm old fashioned.

After the holiday I will throw them out and buy new ones next year. (too hard to clean) I think they cost $8.99

S.Shcwartz

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 7:01 pm
Quote:
I guess prefilled oil cups that are glass would be too expensive and no one would buy them.

Quote:
I guess people are trying to cut corners, plastic must be cheaper than glass...

From the site:

I called the supplier in New York, Ahron's Judaica, and he told me that he ordered glass and the supplier in China used plastic instead (ie-the Chinese supplier gypped him by using a cheaper material). Ahron's Judaica, a nice Chassidic sounding man, told me he is losing at least $10,000 on this deal as well as a blow to his reputation.
So, let everyone know that these are plastic and not to use them. And let everyone know that it was not done on purpose by Ahron's Judaica and people should not speak loshon hora about his business or stop doing business with him in the future.
Comment Credit ---This article posted by Anonymous : December 19, 2006 4:05 PM

Younger Me

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 8:44 pm
Quote:

it's not the first year that we buy these. we never had a problem with them in the past. they used to be glass.

I guess it really makes sense that the supplier took advantage of this poor guy. I never actually thought it was done on purpose. no one in his right mind would have mass-produced something so "risky".

chavamom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 8:54 pm
As a side note, apparently that is a huge risk with doing biz with China. It's a common problem with them substituting cheaper materials after you have come to an agreement, or so said an article I read on doing buisiness with China.

Younger Me

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 8:56 pm
true chavamom, they are known to be sly....

el2cg

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 9:11 pm
somone mentioned to me that she bought the prefilled ones. the one that the oil was"jelly". she said that it popped while it was burning, and the glass shattered all over the floor...bh, nothing happened. (this was erev shabbos!)

batya_d

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 1:28 am
This happened to us tonight! I thought the cups were glass, but apparently not... the cup caught on fire, luckily I smelled the burning plastic before it had melted all the way down and started a fire (and ruined our new silver menorah)

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 1:34 am
only1 wrote:
I just bought a package with 8 glass ones, and I fill them up each night. I guess I'm old fashioned.

After the holiday I will throw them out and buy new ones next year. (too hard to clean) I think they cost $8.99

I do the same. Of course, after I bought a new set this week I found the ones I thought had gotten lost when we moved...and they were clean too!

Why are they so much? Here they're 10 shekel (about $2.50) a set.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 4:24 am
We've used the prefilled for about 3 yrs now as we have anywhere from 4-6 chanukiot/night. We have never had a prob. This week one of my sons took out the tube and put in a reg floating wick and the cup melted. The metal tube usually keeps the heat from the sides. Maybe it is a specific brand that is not made so well.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 10:35 am
Oh wow, I didn't realise it was a mistake. I didn't even realise they were from one supplier.
But still he should have realised the mistake that they were plastic and just not sold them. It was dangerous to sell them.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 10:45 am
DH was upset that he spent $20 on a box without shopping around for cheaper ones. Now he's happy he bought those.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 9:41 am
Did anyone have a problem with the liquid oil pre filled distributed by Ahron's Judaica (I think they are called "easy lights") this year?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics