Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Shalosh Seudos- What do you serve?

queen

Post Fri, Dec 08 2006, 3:16 pm
Need ideas for Shalosh Seudos... especially for these short Shabbos afternoons when one is still fleishig (meat) and full from lunch.

What do you serve????

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Dec 08 2006, 4:15 pm
We don't have shalosh seudos on short shabbats.

Why don't you just serve some fruit, crackers, and chumus/babaganoush? Nobody wants to eat anyways.

Tefila

Post Fri, Dec 08 2006, 4:28 pm
Salads and whatever else is left over. We are not biggy sholash suedohs people as you can tell LOL

stem

Post Fri, Dec 08 2006, 4:34 pm
challah, left over kuguls and salads from the other meals.

Mishie

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 12:10 pm
What ever salads are still left from the other two meals plus: Tuna Salad, Egg Salad...

shira

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 12:54 pm
stem wrote:
challah, left over kuguls and salads from the other meals.

We also do a fleishig shalosh seudes- even during the summer. DH feels it should be a chashuv seuda as well. I usually serve the sides from the other meals and deli roll.

Marion

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 1:00 pm
In the winter we don't...we've barely gotten up from lunch! In the summer, just some fruit and cake. It only has to be mezonot.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 1:34 pm
Marion wrote:
It only has to be mezonot.

L'chatchila you have to wash and eat at least a kzayit, preferably a kbeiza of bread. (My source is the SA, what's yours?)

We wash for challa and eat a kzayit right away. We have fish and salads, cheese and fruit/ choc yoghurts. We are usually milchig, even in the winter, because we finish the main course about 11am and we wait into the 6th hour after chicken/ turkey, so we can have milk by 4.15pm which is about the earliest when we start SS.

Marion

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 3:20 pm
double post

Last edited by Marion on Sat, Dec 09 2006, 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marion

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 3:21 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:

L'chatchila you have to wash and eat at least a kzayit, preferably a kbeiza of bread. (My source is the SA, what's yours?)

My husband, and his Rav's minhag. There's no mitzvah to eat when you're not hungry, and when you're overfull already.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 3:26 pm
Marion wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:

My husband, and his Rav's minhag. There's no mitzvah to eat when you're not hungry, and when you're overfull already.

Chacham einav b'rosho - a wise person sees ahead.

A person should be careful not to eat too much at the second meal so he won't come to SS overfull (and likewise for Melave Malka, especially in the summer). Sorry, in my book, you can't have a minhag not to keep the SA (you could have a differing opinion in halacha like according to the Rema or the Rambam or the Shulchan Aruch Harav for example).

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 4:07 pm
It does not state anywhere in the SA or in the MB that the shiur for SS must be eaten from bread - it just states that a kebeitzah/kezayit must be eaten - hence the "minhag" to eat mezonot.

Also, it says quite clearly in the SA that you are not chayav on SS at all if it upsets you to eat it (obviously for any reason, not just a full stomach). The mishnah berurah says that this is because the mitzvot are given for oneg (enjoyment) and not for tza'ar.

We also eat bread with left-over salads with the occasional extra side-dish or salad (like egg or tuna salad or pickled fish etc).

shalhevet

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 4:26 pm
Ribbie, you need to read the whole siman in the SA 291, not just the beginning. The seventh halacha reads:

Quote:
ז אבל צריך לבצוע על שתי ככרות שלמות כמו בסעודות הראשונותנו ואפילו סועד פעמים הרבה בשבת צריך לכל סעודה לחם משנהנז ויש אומריםנח שאפילו לסעודה ג' די בככר אחד שלם לפי שביום ו' ירד המן לכל אחד שני עומרים ומכל עומר עשו שתי ככרות הרי ד' ככרות לב' עומרים אכל אחת מהן ביום ו' ואחת בליל שבת ואחת בבקר נשארה ככר א' שלם לסעודה ג'נט וכן נתפשט המנהג להקל במדינות אלו לבצוע בסעודה ג' על ככר אחד שלםס אבל יש להחמיר ליקח שניםסא כסברא הראשונה שהוא עיקר אלא אם כן אין לו שנים שאז לא יפחות מככר אחד שלם.

אבל יש מקיליןסב עוד שיכול לקיים סעודה ג' בכל מאכל העשוי מחמשת המינים שמברכים עליו בורא מיני מזונותסג שהוא נקרא מזוןסד ויש מקיליןסה עוד שיכול לקיימה גם כן בדברים שדרך ללפת בהן את הפת כגון בשר ודגים וכיוצא בהם אבל לא בפירות ויש מקיליןסו עוד שאפילו בפירות יכול לקיימה.

ואין לסמוך כלל על כל זהסז אלא אם כן אי אפשר כלל בענין אחר כגון שהוא שבע ביותרסח ואי אפשר לו לאכול פת בלא שיצער את עצמוסט וכן ערב פסח שחל להיות בשבת שאי אפשר לאכול פתע במדינות אלו שאין נוהגין במצה עשירה כמו שיתבאר בסי' תע"אעא:

To summarize the SA writes that one has to make hamotzi on two whole loaves for SS, although there is a leniency to only use one.

Some are lenient in making SS on mezonos food or even other kinds of food. But one should not rely on this leniency unless it is impossible to eat bread, in that he is extremely full or on Erev Pesach in a place where they don't eat matza ashira.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 4:47 pm
Yes you are right, I did not read the whole siman, so thanks for posting it.

But by quoting that halacha, you negate your own point to Marion that someone who has a minhag not to eat bread for SS is over on the SA, since the SA explicitly states that there are those who are lenient, even if lechatchila he writes that one should not rely on that leniency.

Besides which, I dislike the fact that you immediately assume that Marion's rav's minhag is not according to one of the other "differing opinions in halacha" of which YOU may not be aware and is "a minhag not to keep the SA".

Even if we know that someone has a different hashkafa on certain things, it doesn't necessarily mean that absolutely everything that they do is tainted by that hashkafa to the extent where they are immediately doing something terribly wrong if they don't do as we do.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 5:04 pm
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:

But by quoting that halacha, you negate your own point to Marion that someone who has a minhag not to eat bread for SS is over on the SA, since the SA explicitly states that there are those who are lenient, even if lechatchila he writes that one should not rely on that leniency.].

He doesn't say it is lechatchila. He says one shouldn't rely on it unless one of the circumstances which are mentioned are present.

Quote:

Besides which, I dislike the fact that you immediately assume that Marion's rav's minhag is not according to one of the other "differing opinions in halacha" of which YOU may not be aware and is "a minhag not to keep the SA".

I asked Marion if she had a source (I obviously don't think that I know all the different opinions, but the SA is taken as the standard opinion especially in EY where you, me and Marion all live) and she answered :
Quote:

My husband, and his Rav's minhag.

She didn't say she had a source, but that it was a minhag. We have had numerous discussions that you can't just go and post we do xyz when it goes against normative halacha. She also mentioned in her post that in the winter they don't eat SS at all.

Quote:

Even if we know that someone has a different hashkafa on certain things, it doesn't necessarily mean that absolutely everything that they do is tainted by that hashkafa to the extent where they are immediately doing something terribly wrong if they don't do as we do.

And who on earth said this? Are you trying to imply that I think this? What happened to dan lechaf z'chut for me too?

bandcm

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 6:09 pm
Shalhevet, just to give you another perspective... in Chabad, we donĀ“t wash for Seuda Shlishis on principle.
There are different ways of keeping the same Shulchan Aruch, and most of them are valid.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 6:41 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:

But by quoting that halacha, you negate your own point to Marion that someone who has a minhag not to eat bread for SS is over on the SA, since the SA explicitly states that there are those who are lenient, even if lechatchila he writes that one should not rely on that leniency.].

He doesn't say it is lechatchila. He says one shouldn't rely on it unless one of the circumstances which are mentioned are present.

That means that bediavad, it is ok. which means that lechatchila one should not rely on it, which means that even if the SA didn't specifically use that term, it is implied in his words.
Quote:
Quote:

I asked Marion if she had a source (I obviously don't think that I know all the different opinions, but the SA is taken as the standard opinion especially in EY where you, me and Marion all live) and she answered :

Quote:

My husband, and his Rav's minhag.

Quote:
She didn't say she had a source, but that it was a minhag. We have had numerous discussions that you can't just go and post we do xyz when it goes against normative halacha. She also mentioned in her post that in the winter they don't eat SS at all.

A rav is not a valid source? Even if you know all of the reasons why YOUR rav paskens in a certain way, you cannot expect everyone to know all the sources that their rav has in mind when he paskens.

Quote:

Quote:
And who on earth said this? Are you trying to imply that I think this? What happened to dan lechaf z'chut for me too?

see my pm to you.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 8:35 pm
Too bad we don't eat SS, I'm hungry even in the winter!

Crayon210

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 8:42 pm
Were you told that you're not allowed to eat SS?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus