Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Where to buy a silver menorah?

amother

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 12:46 pm
When I got engaged, my parents did not have the money to buy my future husband a silver menorah as customary. This year however, I know that my husband feels bad that he does not have one like his other friends got while they were engaged. I really don't have the money to spend on one, but I am considering dipping into my savings to purchase one for him.

Any suggestions on a place that I could go to for more reasonable pricing?

S.Shcwartz

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 1:00 pm
You're in NY I assume. Every silver store has price ranges. Y don't u try a few stores, compare prices and then decide. Make sure u tell them that ur looking for something cheap right when u come in so they know what not to show u.

MMEC123

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 2:29 pm
A lot of places have pre- and post- Chanuka sales. Check them. Also, remember it doesn't have to be the biggest, most elaborate menorah. There are some beautiful pieces that are a bit smaller and simpler but are still lovely and are affordable.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 2:33 pm
Please don't make a major purchase on your own like that, especially if you have to dip into savings for it.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 2:40 pm

Last edited by DefyGravity on Fri, Nov 10 2006, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

newmom

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 2:59 pm
Price doesn't depend on size either- it depends on weight, so there are larger ones that are less expensive because they are lighter.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 2:41 am
Weight is the decider unless there is special work. Standard styles have the pieces made in lg quantities and are just put together by hand. Certain types of hand work will raise the price. Look at HaTzorfim on the net. I wanted to bring a gift home and nixed silver because it is sooo expensive there. I have bought 4 nice silver menoras as we buy one for each child at BM. I bought nice ones but not humungous or gaudy and paid $300-400. I didn't go to the outlet because it was a potchkey to get there.

I just went to silverheaven.com and they want over $800 for one I paid $300. last year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics