Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
The Purim Story- with interpretation
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 1:00 pm
(The Purim story, once again, with my creative interpretation!)

Hadassah pulled the shawl more tightly around her shoulders as she glanced to the side furtively. Her aunt had indeed tried to prevent her from going out but she couldn’t bear another day locked up in the house with hardly any sunlight.
“I won’t be long, please allow me to go!”
“Hadassah, the soldiers are everywhere, taking every girl they see! Please stay home, it’s for your safety!”
But her heart had won the battle, and she had hurried out to the market, just to buy a few things for the house.
Across the market square two soldiers were eyeing her, and she could feel their gaze boring holes into her back. Against her better judgment she turned just to glance at them, and instantly, one motioned to the other and they started towards her at a rapid pace.
Hadassah hurriedly put down the vegetables she had been looking at and made a sudden dash towards the house. As unladylike as it was, she began to run with long strides, the wind rushing past her. The soldiers didn’t have to put in a lot of effort to catch up with her, and just as she dashed into the house, and slammed the door shut in fright, they banged ominously and ordered her to open.
Her aunt and uncle jumped up as she burst in, crying. “What happened??!” they cried.
Hadassah dashed over to her aunt and buried her face in her shoulder crying in terror, “Don’t let them take me! Please, I want to stay!!!”
Her uncle Mordechai understood right away what had occurred and motioned to her to go to a side room while he let them in.
She flung herself on a bed in the side room, shoulders heaving, and mentally berating herself for having gone out. She gripped her head in her hands and screamed silently in anguish.
She heard the door being opened and closed and the harsh voices demanding to take the girl. She heard the soft replies of her aunt and uncle, but the soldiers were unwavering in their demand.
“Every eligible girl in the kingdom is to be summoned to the palace, by order of the king.”
Who didn’t know the rule? The king, in his madness, at the advice of his closest officers had ordered to see every young girl in order to find a replacement for his prior queen Vashti.
But I as well? Hadassah thought to herself. What does the king need me for?? She herself had seen the hordes of lovely girls, eagerly on their way to the palace for a chance at the throne.
She stood up and walked to the mirror. She stared at the tear streaked face and gently touched her cheeks, her eyes, and ran her hand though her long thick hair.
Just then the door opened, and she whirled around. The looks on the faces of her aunt and uncle were grim.
“Am I… to go?” she asked, a sob rising in her throat.
“Hadassah, it seems to be the will of Hashem.” Her uncle continued to speak but she did not hear.
The will of Hashem… the will of Hashem…
His voice echoed through her head as she rode the lonely, frightening, bumpy carriage ride to the palace.
As soon as the gates opened, she woke from her reverie to look around at the magnificent palace. She stared in awe at the sheer enormity of the structure she had only seen from afar. Now she- was entering the royal palace!

The many officers and courtiers were dressed in splendid colors and Hadassah suddenly felt self-conscious in her simple garments and lack of adornment. The carriage stopped and the door was pulled open. Hadassah was motioned to alight and follow the guard. With hurried steps, she followed obediently, entering into the king’s own harem.

She was given a bed and as soon as she could, she went into it, pulling the blankets tightly around her. So much unknown…! How long would she be forced to stay here? When would she be summoned to the king? Her breath caught in her throat.

Hadassah carefully watched the other girls, many beautiful ones, and how they adorned themselves and prepared for their night with the king. To them, it was the chance of a lifetime, and they were eager and full of life! One girl each night was chosen to go, but the rest of them could never find out how it went, for it was from one harem to the next for these young girls. Before the king and after. Hadassah, or Esther, as she had been bid to call herself couldn’t imagine what the will of Hashem was for her here. The longer she stayed, the longer she was drawn into the meaningless chatter of these fashion-concerned girls, and talk of whom was more beautiful or had a better chance at being queen. Day in, day out, the talk of beauty, the beauty treatments, the dreams of each girl were completely absorbed in look and fashion taste. Esther wondered that these girls even knew where they were or what was going to happen to them! Their entire lives were now to be spent as a harem girl of the king! Granted, the king was extremely powerful, and to be intimate with the king was to be considered a great honor, but if there was nothing else to life, then wasn’t life truly nothing?

It was just Esther alone with her thoughts, being carefully watched by the harem guard, who seemed to have taken a liking to the quiet, thoughtful girl, until one cold winter day, when she was informed that today was her day to be summoned to the king. The other girls stared at Esther as she went around that day. She could hardly eat, so nervous was she, she could barely talk and her mind was racing. Hours before dark they took her to begin the last part of her beauty treatment. She had been massaged with oils and spices for months, and now they carefully applied the last smoothing lotions, makeup and fragrances. She had asked for nothing, but the harem guard insisted. They had chosen a dress for her, and as they helped her dress, Esther’s arms trembled and she couldn’t talk, so violently was her mouth chattering. Under the gaze of the other girls, Esther was led out of the doorway, and began the way to the king’s private chambers.
I, a young girl, being summoned by the great and powerful king!!! The thought was almost too much to bear, and then suddenly, Esther heard those words, once again resounding in her mind, “It seems to be the will of Hashem.” She dwelled upon these words, mentally repeating them over and over, until she felt she had internalized them. Calm spread over her. Her fingers unclenched, her mouth relaxed and her eyes brightened. This was all intended for her, and truly there could be nothing to fear.

-Pink Pointes

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 1:25 pm
I love how you make the story of the Megilla realistic. It really seems to come alive in your story.

Nomad

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 1:28 pm
wow - this is great!

it really makes you realize how hard it must have been for esther. you hear and learn about the megillah and all the midrashim, but I like how this allows you to really picture what happened.

please continue the story!

Nuts

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 1:46 pm
Wow! Beautifully written. I was just wondering: wasn't Esther married at that time to Mordechai?

Isramom8

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 1:58 pm
Like! Very Happy

amother

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 2:05 pm
Thank you, thank you. (Deep bow.)

It just so happens that I have written a continuation to the story, but, erm, it's not quite appropriate if you get my drift. (blush)

If anyone would be interested in any case, I suppose I could PM it to you.

As to the issue of the midrashim, whether Esther was married at the time etc., there are numerous opinions. I sort of chose which was most useful to me in writing... with all due respect to the original episode.

I do not claim to be accurate or even truthful at times in my writing. I have written it as I want to imagine it was!

-PinkPointes

Isramom8

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 2:08 pm
YES, PM ME IT!

Nomad

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 2:31 pm
can you pm it to me too? it is really well written!

manyhats

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 2:34 pm
AM, your story is very well written.

The story on which it is based is a fabulous story on its own merit. The miracle is that seemingly unconnected events lead to the miraculous savings of the Jewish nation. The plot is filled with intrigue , conflict , majesty , crisis , etc. . All the makings of a spectacular saga.

The troupe, reading directions , also makes for great story-telling.

I would not like to read an unclean ending to this story.

Bracha

Isramom8

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 2:38 pm
Manyhats, we all KNOW the story ends unclean. That is the tragedy, and the nes.

Mystery Woman

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 2:49 pm
I love it!

Can I get the continuation, too?

MRS.Mentsch

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 3:34 pm
I'd love to read the next part too. Great job!

Nuts

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 4:26 pm
I'm curious. Could you please pm me the next part?

Eva Apple

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 5:06 pm
Fabulous!!
Busy pm'ing it to everyone...
Please pm it to me - would love to read the rest

bigsis144

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 5:37 pm
Another PM request -- this is very well-written! You have a way with words that is clear and evocative.

manyhats

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 6:20 pm
Isramom8, In what way does story end unclean? Also what ending would you recomend for fiction retelling of story.

Esther b/c Queen Esther. Mordechai b/c 2nd to king, Jewish nation is saved. They do teshuvah. All ends according to G-d's plan.

Bracha

birdie27

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 6:45 pm
That is so well written.
Can you pm the continuation to me please?

May

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 6:53 pm
I would like to read the continuation as well, please.

S.Shcwartz

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 6:55 pm
All I can say is WOW! You have talent! I hope you continue writing, professional or otherwise....please pm me the rest!

Nuts

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 8:09 pm
manyhats wrote:
Isramom8, In what way does story end unclean? Also what ending would you recomend for fiction retelling of story.

Esther b/c Queen Esther. Mordechai b/c 2nd to king, Jewish nation is saved. They do teshuvah. All ends according to G-d's plan.

Bracha

The story definitely didn't have a happy ending for Esther. She sacrificed her life and married a gentile in order to save the Jews. Also, according to one version, Mordechai was her husband and she lost him forever after going to the king on behalf of the Jews.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club