Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Do you know this story?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:44 am
It's a pretty famous story, but I don't remember who the main characters were. I'm hoping someone out there knows.

The basic gist (as best as I remember.)
There was a Rabbi who was friendly with a king or minister. The rabbi told the king that G-d makes matches all day. The king said that its very easy to make matches. He said he would prove it to him by making a perfect match for his nephew.
The king went undercover, so he was not recognizable, and the two of them went to the marketplace.

The king scouted all the young women until he found one young lady who was beautiful, quick-witted and charming. She was a peddler selling her wares. Despite that, he felt it would be a perfect match for his nephew.

He approached her and gave her a sealed envelope. He told her to go deliver it to the palace of the king, and he paid her nicely for her time.

Not realizing what this was about, she was reluctant to leave her spot in the marketplace. She had woken up really early to get that spot, and it felt foolish to lose out on it, which she surely would if she abandoned her post to deliver the letter.

Just then, an old lady passed by and she asked her to go deliver the letter. She gave her the money for her time, and the lady took the letter to the palace.

When she arrived , the letter was brought to the nephew of the king. The letter stated that, by order of the king, he was to marry the woman who bore the letter that very day, no questions asked. He read the letter in horror, not understanding what his uncle was playing at. The lady in front of him was old, ugly and disabled.

He tried sending a message to the king, but the king would not listen, but insisted that his will be done.

Having no choice, he married the old lady.
After a few days, the king came to visit him, wanting to see the result of his matchmaking. He was shocked to see that instead of the beautiful young woman he had hand-picked for his nephew, he had married him off to a crotchety old lady. He had to admit to the rabbi that he was right. Matchmaking is truly G-dly work.

Does anyone know who the rabbi in the story was, or which king it was? Anyone know where I can find this written up?

dena613

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:50 am
I don't think that's really how the story goes, but I believe it was a Tanna in the gemara. I will look it up.

dena613

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:52 am
Did you mean this?
Midrash Rabba on Leviticus 6:13
(Look it up somewhere, !maybe sefaria)

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:58 am
There's a story in gemarah about Rav Yosi Bar Chalafta who told one of the Roman kings that Hashem is the only one who can be mezaveg zivugim. The king said he can do it too and that night he married off 100 of his servants to 100 of his maids. Needless to say, the fights that went on that night were endless with most of them being hurt physically.
The king had no choice but to admit that Hashem is the only true mezaveg zivugim and no human can do it as well as he.

GLUE

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 2:01 am
One of the world of Middosus tape has it

On the tape He said it was with The king\Duke of Spain with the Arbabnel

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 2:24 am
dena613 wrote:
Did you mean this?
Midrash Rabba on Leviticus 6:13
(Look it up somewhere, !maybe sefaria)

No, I'm not referring to this story.
The story in the gemara is about a king who sets up 1,000 servants randomly, and the next morning all the couples were bickering.
This is a different story.
Eta. I see another poster mentioned this story as well.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 2:27 am
GLUE wrote:
One of the world of Middosus tape has it

On the tape He said it was with The king\Duke of Spain with the Arbabnel

Yes! This is the one I'm talking about. I remember it being with the Abarbanel also, but I wasn't sure. I tried googling it but didn't find the story.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:37 am
Bumping this up for the morning crowd.
Anyone know where I can find this story online?

JLi

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:42 am
Of course!!!

Senor del Mundo

Rav Abarbanel and the King of Portugal vs Prince of Spain.

There have been counyless of BY plays base on this story

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:45 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
There's a story in gemarah about Rav Yosi Bar Chalafta who told one of the Roman kings that Hashem is the only one who can be mezaveg zivugim. The king said he can do it too and that night he married off 100 of his servants to 100 of his maids. Needless to say, the fights that went on that night were endless with most of them being hurt physically.
The king had no choice but to admit that Hashem is the only true mezaveg zivugim and no human can do it as well as he.

Huh, interesting, I remember this being about a female ruler of some kind. Some noblewoman maybe.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:58 am
amother Thistle wrote:
Huh, interesting, I remember this being about a female ruler of some kind. Some noblewoman maybe.

Yes it was a Roman nobelwoman.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 10:00 am
JLi wrote:
Of course!!!

Senor del Mundo

Rav Abarbanel and the King of Portugal vs Prince of Spain.

There have been counyless of BY plays base on this story

This is what I'm referring to.
Any idea where I can find this story in print?. Senor del Mundo was the name of the play?

leah233

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 10:12 am
amother OP wrote:
This is what I'm referring to.
Any idea where I can find this story in print?. Senor del Mundo was the name of the play?

You can find the story in print in this book on page 164

https://www.amazon.com/Light-c.....;dib=

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 10:17 am
leah233 wrote:
You can find the story in print in this book on page 164

https://www.amazon.com/Light-c.....;dib=

Thank you! I used to have this book many years ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room