Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Children and Allergies

rosehill

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 8:35 pm
My daughter has recently been diagnosed as allergic to dust mites and to milk.
I would like to hear from other mothers of allergic children, and how you have handled situations that have come up. Especially regarding friends, schools, etc.
For example dd was invited to a birthday party. Is it OK to call the mother and ask her to be sure to have Parve food for her?????

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 8:40 pm
my son is dairy allergic also. I defintly call ahead about food. How allergic is your daughter.

My son starts school this fall and we worried about the dairy too.

yrs1025

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 8:44 pm
Sure. I fyou feel awkward asking the mother to provide pareve food for your dd, then ask if she would mind if you sent some food with her.
My dd has a girl in her class with a peanut allergy. The girl (and the other girls in the class, all know that she can't have peanuts, that it is very dangerous). I know that we made a party for dd (a few years ago) the mother asked that we are careful and make sure her daughter does not get anything with peanuts. I told her that I knew she was unable to have peanuts, and therefore no peanut food would be served at the party.
Another girl was allergic to milk and her mother asked what I was serving. When she heard pizza, she said she would send her some Toffutti pizza, so her daughter would not feel left out (I did not know that she was allergic until her mother told me. She did not want me to change the menu.)

red sea

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 8:49 pm
You can call and tell the mother she is allergic and does she mind if you send along something for your daughter. Until the kids are old enough you must always make sure any adult you leave your child with knows what they are allergic to.

rosehill

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 8:58 pm
Pickle Lady, the allergist described her dairy allergy as "borderline". In other words, there's no need to call Hatzala if she takes a lick of ice cream!!!!
However, she suffers from severe eczema and asthma, and there's good reason to believe she'll find relief if we keep her away from the dustmites and dairy.
We are having trouble with the school too. While they understand the need avoid dairy, they are not being terribly creative in terms of finding appropriate substitutes. (like they won't order her a potato knish on pizza day).

granolamom

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 9:49 pm
I say call the bday girls mother and tell her your dd was recently diagnosed with the allergy. ask if she's planning to serve dairy and if so could you bring a comparable meal for your dd (ie, cheeseless pizza). most people would offer to provide the dairy free substitute for your child.

as far as the school is concerned Rolling Eyes

red sea

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 9:57 pm
rosehill, Why don't you arrange it with the pizza shop they order from? we have allergies in my house too but I find I expect the school to watch that allergic kids dont eat what they can't and to inform the parent if they should send food in but I think anything further than that is being extra nice on their part.

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 9:59 pm
give your kids claritin for kids it works gr8
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics